Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here!! :) Saying hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here!! :) Saying hello!

Hey everyone... My name is Chris and I live in Ontario Canada. I am 32

I started drumming when I was 14 (1997). Have been in a few bands throughout highschool. One of the bands even opened up for a little known band called Hatebreed

Sold my last acoustic kit in 2003. Did not drum at all (except some air drumming on the steering wheel) until about the summer of 2012 when I bought a used TD4 set with mesh pads. I LOVED it. thought it was great. I maybe played a few times a week along to music most the times.
    Fast forward until about 5 months ago. Started getting into some Dream Theater and newer Avenged Sevenfold and other technical drum stuff.. That got me playing the drums a lot more often. Started noticing I was getting a lot better quite fast! So I walked into a music store the other week and sat down at a TD-30KV and didnt want to get off it! My drumming skills came alive like never before!! Couldnt believe how good I was playing on them. I come home and play on the TD4 and I am not nearly as 'good'.

So now I am on here trying to learn as much as I can to make a good informed decision on what to upgrade to in the next week or so. TD-30K . or TD15KV with some upgrades?!

Is there a good starting point for learning about all about the drums? been playing them for years now but never looked in too deep about the inner workings of the Roland drums.
    All this talk about VST and latency etc seems overwhelming... hehe

All the best

Chris!!!
    TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

- - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There is a sticky topic under products dedicated to the TD-30 that could be useful in making your decision. Some other members are not enthused with the Roland kit sounds and they are more in favor of VST sounds. Some prefer 2 box and some are proponents of acoustic kit conversions. I don't want to confuse you but you can do plenty of research here that will help you make this important decision and significant investment. I really like my kit and I am having a great time with it. Good luck.
      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

thanks guys. ya its a little overwhelming coming on here and seeing all the options... Had no idea about sound modifications or anything like that.. Just thought it was what you buy is what you get (out of the box sound).
        TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Comment

Howdy and welcome! I noticed a huge jump when I went from the TD9 to a TD30, so I know what you mean!
          TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

did you find the TD-30 all you needed and more? was the TD30kv too much (not money)? I have this feeling that I am levitating towards the TD-30K because the brain is quite awesome and will not be 'obsolete' for many years and as I learn more about the capabilities of it and get better as a drummer I will grow into it. And also it has the larger pads (12inch) that I want that the TD15KV does not have. Just wish the 30 came with a chrome rack like the KV.

Edit: oops the 30K only has 10 inch pads not 12... crap!
            Last edited by spikeithard; 05-04-14, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I sprung for the KV since I am older than you and my kids are grown and gone. Some people my age play a lot of golf, have a Harley Davidson, or a Corvette. I have a TD-30KV. If I got the TD-30 instead, I (only speaking for myself) would continue to lust for the drums and cymbals that come with the KV and I would end up buying them piecemeal. Your situation may be quite different than mine. I think the TD-30 is all I need and more and only hope that it stays the flag ship for a while and that Roland figures out how to give the VST fans what they want as well. The only down side to the TD-30KV is its size and weight for schleping out of the basement and shoving it into the back of my station wagon. My old TD-9SX (heavily upgraded) was smaller and lighter. I will figure it out when the time comes to move it. Good luck!
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Wonderful intro and WELCOME!!!! As a lot of us here say, buy the best kit you can afford at the time FIRST. Not sure what your ultimate goals are with the kit but that should help you decide whether you need to spend the extras $$ on a TD30 or not ( I would lol). Ultimate goals as in...recording seriously, noodling with friends, actual band use, live gigging, etc etc. And the VST thing isn't all that bad, there are plenty of folks here who do it.

Have fun here!!

K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thanks. I see you have a TDW20 module? how do you like it? find it provides a fairly good rich, full sounding acoustic replica sound? I have a TDW20 in my sight for purchase.

Comment

Love my TDW20! Of course, the sounds aren't "the best" per some opinions, but the module is rock solid, has all the options I want, and sounds great in headphones, recording, and when pumped thru a huge PA, nice!

K
                    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                    X