Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello from switzerland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from switzerland

hello everybody

i bought my first e-drum, a td-30kv, a few months ago and i'm very excited about it!
    i am building up a small home studio and therefore i use the vdrum to trigger the sounds from superior drummer 2 (with expansions: metal foundry and roots)
    i like different styles of music, mostly progressive rock/metal and piano music fronted by crazy ladies, but i'm also open to pop, blues, jazz, country,...

among others, i hope to find inspiration in this forum to complete the following list:​
    1. find the perfect triggering-setup for superior drummer drummer (especially the hi-hat)
    2. get ideas how i could extend my kit (l like hugh kits)
    3. form a concept to build a noise canceling podium since i'm living in a flat with neighbors below and above

cheers from switzerland
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Equipment: Roland TD-30KV with Superior Drummer 2 (Avatar, Metal Foundry & Roots Bundle)

Hi, welcome. That's a great kit, I envy you.

This forum has plenty of the answers you will ever need, and a Google on any given topic will usually return some post from this forum that is helpful, if a search here is not immediately forthcoming.

For my part,

1. Not yet qualified as I don't yet own it, but there are plenty of SD users who have that licked I'm sure.

2. Adding Megadrum trigger box is an option (you get a LOT more inputs there), Alesis Trigger I/O (used generally, they are no longer made, though you can occasionally find one new in box), and of course there are the Roland varieties...…along with more pads? If your trigger modules have dual zones, you can split the inputs to have 2 pads instead (if single zone is ok), for even larger kits.

3. Most isolation platforms I've seen use a plywood sandwich with tennis ball supports to create some shock absorption, and air gap, but you can use foam I'm sure.

Here's one DIY video I found on YouTube, and there are more. Some members here have even built enclosing studios for their kits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdv1a9zzmw

Hope this helps you out some.

rc
    Last edited by Meshopotamia; 04-29-14, 09:24 PM. Reason: Typos
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

thanks a lot for your response, this really helps me.

the alesis trigger is what i have in mind, i think the result will be better compared to when i build it myself ; )

but anyway, first i have to to buy some pads to use all the additional aux-inputs on my module:
      i'd like to have four additional small toms, acting as 'octobans' and some cymbals. for the toms single zone would be fine, so there are 4 more left for cymbals.

i'm looking for cymbals which are a) good, b) cheaper than the roland cymbals, c) have a similar feeling as the roland ones when playing and d) look nice. the only ones that satisfy these conditions and are available seem to be the triggera. does someone have experience when playing them together with the ones of the td-30kv?

that's a great video! did someone here build this drum riser? by how much will the noise be cancelled? right know my neighbor below hears quite a lot of my noise, so i need to build something very efficient.
      Equipment: Roland TD-30KV with Superior Drummer 2 (Avatar, Metal Foundry & Roots Bundle)

Comment

Welcome and yep, you will find all sorts of articles already written about drum platforms and Superior Drummer. Just use the Forum search engine (UTFSE) and you should be well on your way. How about some pics of your kit? Have fun here!

K ;-)
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Welcome to the forum Don (hang on… you joined before me? - maybe you should be welcoming, er.. me..?)
          Anyways.. as Meshhead said, great place to find technical solutions (sorry, don’t ask me, I’m a newbie and… old !).
          Answers sometimes require a little patience – but may depend on how you write them. There’s a lot of technical know-how among members though.
          Check out posts from fellow citizen Hairmetal-18 too. Very helpful and prolific poster.
          Little suggestion. It’s useful too to add your equipment in your profile (See Kenster’s signature above) -> helps others with the technical context and saves you having to write it out each time. You’ll understand why and how to do it in this “Sticky” from the Foyer :
          Please update your signature what drum module and kit are you using
          Location, too, if you wanna find neighbours. I’m in France for example.
          And as Kenster says, the search window (though not always predictable) can find you lots of already answered Qs.
          Great kit ! Enjoy !
          e-drums : Roland TD11KV
          a-drums : Yamaha Stage Custom

Comment

@Kenster: I added a pic to my avatar, it's just the basic 30kv kit so far. I'll post some more pics as soon as I have extended it a bit.
            @mrfrench: bonjour! thanks for the hint regarding the signature -> changed that

Comment

Nice set up!!!
              K
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Don,

There are all kinds of options for additional toms.

If you don't mind the rubber type pads, easiest and cheapest way is to pick up usedPD-6, PD-7, PD-8, and PD-9's for not much at all on ebay, $15 to $50. But once you go mesh head type, the prices go up a good bit, I'd say $75 USD on up to retail.

Cheap: Remo practice pads, converted. Can use Roland style triggers (mini-center-cones) and mesh heads (my approach), or mesh heads and the original foam, with shock plate and piezo, or original mylar and shock plate (Alesis style). Downside: non-standard mounting.

Fun but complicated: Acoustic to Mesh. Cut a real tom in half, and them use each side to make 2 new drums total. (lot of info on the A2E approach on here)

Cymbals : The Triggeras look nice. Any where you can go to test out various brands?

If you don't mind them, used Roland cymbals are not bad cost wise. I have gotten two Roland CY-5's, an Alesis Ion 12 inch single zone (no choke, for my aux crash) which works nice, and is quieter than CY-5, and have a Simmons dual zone just arrived today. Not counting shipping, I have about $100-110 in all 4. I'm happy with that because three are dual zone, and the Alesis single zone is for a single zone input. I'm all set now.
                - - -
                Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Working...
                X