Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you like drums? What else you got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you like drums? What else you got?

We all come here for the same basic reason....drums and other percussive instruments. Acoustic, electronic, hybrid, whatever. We are here to learn from others, and share what we know with others. So we already know that much about each other. This is a place for you to share something about yourself that might not come up while "talking shop". What else you got? What are you about? Feel free to put up a pic or two so we can recognize each other if we ever cross paths.
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

My name is Brian Wilburn. I was born in 1979. That makes me bwilburn79. Did you see what I did there? Here's a picture of my mug in case we meet in some dark alley. I don't hang out in dark alleys but hey, you just never know.

I reside in West Tennessee. I married my high school sweetie almost 15 years ago now. We have two kids, an 8 year old daughter, and a 6 year old son. I've worked for the same elevator manufacturing company since leaving college in 1998. I'm an even keeled, simple guy. I love Jesus, and my family. I don't actually consider myself a musician. That word implies that you are a good instrumentalist and that you have an understanding of music, which doesn't describe me. I play drums in worship to God. I play as skillfully as I can for His glory. I literally started playing drums, 18 months ago, to become part of the worship team at my home church. In the past I've tried to pick up the guitar but honestly, when I listen to music, I immediately key in on the drum beat. In my free time I enjoy tinkering with electronic drums, playing golf, and riding my tricycle. I'm a grown man and I ride a tricycle. There, I said it. Now you can all quit whispering behind my back about it. It's how I roll. The trike (tadpole recumbent tricycle to be correct) in my avatar is manufactured by ICE (inspired cycle engineering) in the UK. It is the Roland TD-30KV of tricycles. It costs about the same as well. I do not own one for the same reason I do not own a Roland TD-30KV. What I do own is a 2008 Catrike Road that I purchase used a couple of years ago. I've never been a cyclist nor understood why anyone would want to be a cyclist but these things change the game. It's like riding a 27 speed reclining lawn chair at 15-30 mph and calling it exercise. I rode 66 miles in 4 hours last summer and when I got done, only my legs were tired. If I'd done that on a traditional bicycle, I'd have been hospitalized and needed 6 weeks to recover...my underwear from my...never mind, you get the point. Tadpole refers to the configuration of the wheels, two up front that steer and one out back that drives. Recumbent refers to the reclined position of the rider. Tricycle refers to the fact there are three wheel on this machine. Here's a picture of a Catrike Road similar to mine:

Attached Files
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

My name is Ron. I also reside in West Tennessee. Memphis, Tennessee to be exact. I'm an old guy who can't remember anything. I'm an old guy who can't remember . . . ok and I'm a jokester. "Hear about the two antennas that got married? The wedding wasn't much, but the reception was excellent!" (rim shot). I got my nickname RZ from a former boss. He liked calling everyone by their initials. So, he chose the first letter of my first name, and the last letter of my last name. It's turned out to be the moniker I use for music related areas of my life. As for my picture, you may have already seen me on this video I'm re attaching. That would be me. I own a small business that my wife and I work out of the house. We do promotional products for clients. We take their logo and put it on just about anything from t shirts and hats to mugs and pens. When I'm not doing that, I also ride a bike. It's a road bike and I agree it is quite the workout. But my best is 35 miles and that took hours and I needed a nap when i got home. I spend 3 to 4 days a week at the gym in order to keep my "girlish" figure. Actually if I didn't work out I would weight 250 pounds. I love donuts! I just love to eat. At my age, food is my favorite "thing" to do. I've been married for almost 22 years. I helped raise 2 boys who were 6 & 9 when we were married. Today they are 30 and 33 and both attorneys. The oldest plays drums, the youngest plays golf. My wife is a great golfer as well. Me, well . . . I'm an average golfer at best. But I do practice my golf swing most days. Keep a sand wedge upstairs in my office. We adopted a Yorkie named Bailey we found on Craigslist. He will be three in a few weeks. He is the most awesome dog we've ever had. He's not your "teacup" version. In fact, we call him a teapot! He's about 10 pounds. As for music, I am self taught. Started with drums and then picked up a variety of instruments along the way. I've been building a home studio since 1976. It has taken many turns since then. Now I have it rather compacted up in my office and it works just fine for the annual recording that I do. My music has now pretty much become an annual Beatles parody I do for my friend's birthday each year. I pick a song, learn all the instruments from youtube videos, record them in my studio and then do a parody of the lyrics. Since we have been having lunch almost once a week for the last 30 years, it's always about that. Here is my Beatles parody I did for his this year: When We Have Lunch

I enjoy coming here and learning more about electronic drums and meeting nice folks! Cheers.
      Attached Files

Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to meet you neighbor. I'm about 2 hours east of you near Selmer, Tn. My wife and I were in Memphis to see "Wicked" at the Orpheum over Valentine's weekend.

This thread is only for West Tennessee guys who ride bikes?
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those two wheeled guys won't associate with the likes of me, I'm a third wheel. ;-) Come on triggera, aren't you going to participate in the fun?

Ed in Florida. Started drumming at 12 years old, quit when I joined the Army. Picked up guitar in '88 and played in a couple local metal bands. Got back into drumming about 2 years ago.
      Spend all my money on drums, guitar gear and guns. Also a flight simming enthusiast (fanatic) since 1999. Bought my first PC specifically for MSFS 2000.

And that's it. Boring I am.
      TD-30 module, PDP A2E (22, 16, 14, 12, 10), Quartz triggers,
      VH11 hi-hat, PD125 (snare), Roland cymbals, Peavey KB4 monitor, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
      Axis A21 Sabres, Axis A Longboards

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to meet you Ed. I've been a fan of MSFS since version 4.0. In a world with specialized gaming consoles like the Xbox or Xbox One, tell me why Microsoft won't release a flight sim and yoke controller for them?

• bud7h4
        bud7h4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Brian, unfortunately consoles don't have the processing power or memory to run a simulator with any depth do it. And then there's the aftermarket aspect, which is the real attraction for many. I wouldn't have stuck with simming for more than a few months if not for the add-ons.

Great thread topic! I'm in Florida too Ed, Orlando! Where abouts are you? Aside from drumming, I produce corporate events and am in the middle of the biggest one I do all year. So I'm off to sleep for 4 hours before a 16 hour day But I shall return to properly yap once I'm out of the weeds and the client is happy!
      TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        We're planning on taking our kids to Disney World this September...if we can figure out how to afford it. Whew!!

• BWaj
        BWaj commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the mouse has a way of taking your money! You won't be disappointed if you visit Sea World and maybe Wet n Wild instead and it will be cheaper. I can also recommend some amazing natural spring parks that will knock your socks off if you like nature. You pay 10-20 bucks to get in and will have a great day hiking, swimming, can rent canoes, etc.

Feel free to email me if you want any info on the area, [email protected] Orlando is great and I get the draw of the mouse, but there is so much more here. Kennedy Space Center is only 45 minutes away too. That place is amazing!

Although my name on here is hbpls, My name is Ed. Hbpls is my wife's pet name for me. It stands for Hot Baby Papa Love Stud. Some may have been wondering. . .

I've been drumming since 1978, played in marching/concert bands in high school and I played snare drum for Penn State's Marching Blue Band from the fall of 1989 until my graduation. Graduated in December of 1991 with a degree in Civil Engineering and spent 10+ years with the Missouri Department of Transportation, developing highway construction plans. My wife and I (and our 2 boys) moved back to western PA in 2002 to be near our families and I now work for an engineering consulting firm in Pittsburgh, still developing highway and other civil-related plans. My wife and I have been married for almost 22 years and our boys are 16 and 18.

Drums have taken me all over the Unites States, and even a week-long trip to Bolivia, South America. My primary foucus has been with playing Country/Christian Rock, but I really enjoy playing for praise/worship teams in churches. Our church currently doesn't have one, but as the worship leader, I'm taking baby steps with incorporating instruments here and there. We have some young talent and hopefully we can tap into their resources.
      TD-15K, SPD-SX, BOSS FS-6, KD-8, Zildjian gen-16 AE Cymbals (13" HH, 14" Crash, 16" Crash, 18" Ride)

Comment

• hbpls
        hbpls commented
        Editing a comment
        bwilburn79: "I play drums in worship to God. I play as skillfully as I can for His glory."

"I played my drum for Him. . . I played my best for him" (pa rum pum pum pum).

I wholeheartedly agree with your opion, Brian. Ten years ago, we were singing out of hymnals with only piano accompaniment. Little by little we added praise choruses. Now we're about at 60% praise/worship songs and 40% hymns. You're right, worship music doesn't have to suck. I could listen to the most skilled preacher and not be so moved than I would by listening to a beautiful song like Mercyme's 'Word of God Speak', for example. And there's nothing wrong with hymns, but put it in perspective this way: the lyrics of hymns talk about God where the lyrics of praise/worship songs are songs to God, and can be used as prayers.

• Kenster
        Kenster commented
        Editing a comment
        For the record, I WASN'T wondering, Love Stud lol!!! K ;-)

• daebado
        daebado commented
        Editing a comment
        I was, but now I wish I hadn't!

I'm a graphic designer from Australia, married with a teenage daughter, a dog and 3 cats (they're children too). I like my job, most of the time, but hate paperwork, in fact I just finalised my tax things (the down side of having your own business) with about 2 weeks left out of the 9 months I had to do it. In 3 months I need to start it all again.

I started drumming a few years ago after I hurt my back in a car accident. My existing hobbies, kung fu and horse riding, had to stop for a while so I wanted something I could do, preferably without too much physical effort, for short periods at home. I loved Guitar Hero and Rockband so I bought some actual drums and started some lessons. I always wanted to learn but never could, so this was my opportunity. It took a bit more effort than I had expected, and I couldn't sit down for too long at a time because of my back, so I've been learning pretty slowly.

I needed to do some exercise though, because while I stopped kung fu I did not stop eating cake and chocolate! My dog also needed to get out more. So I took up jogging, although I had always despised running. Even just a few metres. Running was okay, but it bored me, so I started using a running game called Zombies, Run! which made it much more enjoyable, and then when my husband asked if I'd do an obstacle run with him, after I finished laughing and laughing, I decided to give it a shot. I was really unfit by this time though, so I had to do a LOT of running. I did my first obstacle run towards the end of last year, and probably should have started with a much easier event rather than the hardest one he could find. We completed it, barely for me (he was fine but our other team mate and I struggled), I had a hard time just walking for a week after. So this year I'm going to train properly and do some more next year.

That's pretty much all I'm able to fit in at the moment.
      Kaiju
      Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

• bwilburn79
        bwilburn79 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to meet you Kaiju (is that pronounced Kaiz-yoo). I wish you luck in your training and rehabilitation. Those "fun" runs are getting popular here in the states as well. What about your handle, Oenone, does that have a significant meaning? Is that the Oenone of Greek mythology?

• Oenone
        Oenone commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, Kelly is my name. My husband named my drums Kaiju (which means something along the lines of strange beast) because it keeps growing, and once it's taken over the lounge room it will invade Tokyo. Oenone came from a sci-fi book actually, a living spaceship, but that was probably named after the Oenone from Greek mythology.

Obstacle courses are, well, I wouldn't say fun! Maybe rewarding, but not fun. Maybe once I'm much fitter they'll be fun, or maybe the shorter distances with easier obstacles are fun. Either way I plan on finding out next year.

@BWAJ...if you ever plan a corporate event inSane Diego let me know, I might know a band or two for ya!!

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• BWaj
        BWaj commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do! I was out that way a lot last year, so far this year is more east coast.

Originally posted by Oenone View Post
      I'm a graphic designer from Australia, married with a teenage daughter, .
      I was wondering... Exactly how old is your daughter..? (hihihi)

Aaaanyways, I'm Mikael, 22 years old from Sweden, been playing drums on and off for about 9 years or so now.
      I haven't played much at all in later years due to illness ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeys%E...Dietz_syndrome ). Although I'm in the early stages of a A2E kit project right now.
      I'm a nerd in many ways: books, videogames, pc-games, when you can't work then you have to find something to fill the days with
      I don't really have much else to tell about me since my life story is basically just in and out of hospitals, doing different surgeries for different problems (22 surgeries so far! Keeping the age/surgery-ratio even!) so if I would write everything down this thread would probably just get depressing, lol :P

Oh well, if there's anything you wanna know about me, just ask!

//Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post
        I was wondering... Exactly how old is your daughter..? (hihihi)
        Old enough to be a teenager, with appropriate attitude, and not old enough to move out! Actually, she's pretty good for a teenage girl. Please note the part of my post where I mention my kung fu...

I really admire the fact that you haven't let your illness stop you from playing. That's dedication. Hopefully you will change the age/surgery ratio to something far better for you soon. Make sure you post photos of the new project!
        Kaiju
        Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

• TheYardbird
          TheYardbird commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I went and bought myself a used set of Gretsch Catalina Club drums yesterday so now the ball has started to roll! I'm waiting for the mesh-heads from 682drums to make it here and then I just need 2, maybe 3 Intriggs and the first rendition of the kit is complete I posted some pictures of the drums as they are right now on Tinypic, I plan to fill the album with alot more pictures as I make progress Take a look! http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...EMt5ojOw%3D%3D

My name is Mark and I'm a hit man for the Mob.
        During the day, I disguise what I do by working as an electrical engineer. It's a great cover and I'm pretty sure no one suspects a thing!

I need to get to know some of you Florida guys better as I'm an avid (albeit somewhat new) scuba diver but it's expensive to get to any ocean from Kansas so I'm always looking for cheap accommodations!! Getting married in August and heading to Roatan, Honduras to do some serious diving!
        Been playing the drums since I was 10 (I'm 51 now) with about an 8 year hiatus from 2001 to 2009 while I got my degree. Picked 'em back up again with renewed interest and drive after graduating and haven't looked back!

Oh, and I'm an excellent driver.

Mark
        www.RemedyRocksKC.com

Comment

• bwilburn79
          bwilburn79 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for contributing daebado. Congratulations sir, on your upcoming nuptials. I took scuba classes as a PE credit in college but never completed an open water dive. If you're out in Kansas I guess that makes you and member fulrmr(Daniel) neighbors.

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          Great diving in FL. Best ocean stuff is down in the keys but there are a ton of great springs to dive in as well. Its a great sport and I imagine you appreciate it even more being from Kansas.

• daebado
          daebado commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, we get to dive in lakes. Somehow, it's just not the same!
          Do you dive, BWaj? Next time we come down, I'll have to look you up! Always nice to have a local as a guide!

Anyone who's been here for a while knows that my real name is Lrr. I am married to Ndnd. We live on Omicron Persei 8. I am the ruler of said star system but unfortunately managed to get marooned here a few years back. Stupid hyper-light drive... I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation.

My tidbit of wisdom is that it is true what they say: Women are from Omicron Persei 7 and men are from Omicron Persei 9.

Comment

• bwilburn79
          bwilburn79 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for contributing Lrr. I doubt we'd have learned any of those things about you while "talking shop" elsewhere in the forums. That's what this thread is all about. ;-)

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          lol, awesome!

Brian, live in Orlando, FL but travel all over the place. I started playing in 3rd grade and did all the school band stuff, marching, concert, jazz, etc. I was lucky enough to March in the Macy's Day Parade in high school playing quad toms. I started in rock bands at about 13 years old and dropped outta college after three days to go on the road with my band. Best decision I ever made! That group was called Noy-Z-Boyz and we were the typical glam band, though there were some great writers so I really liked lots of the tunes.

From there I joined a band called Bang La Terra who became popular in Mexico so off we went. We had it rough, our circuit included Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico City, Acapulco and a swing over to St. Thomas, then a little bit in FL and back to Mexico. I met my wife while playing the Hard Rock Cafe in Acapulco, she was working there, and we've been married almost 20 years. We played lots of cool gigs over there and they actually hung one of my drums at the HR in Acapulco. Sadly, it just closed so no idea what happened to it, lol.

I produce corporate events now for my main gig, have two great sons who play drums, guitar and piano. I just started playing again after around 13 years of nuttin. It's coming back slowly but I gots a long way to go!!

Found a few vids someone posted from back in the day that bring back some good memories. I posted one below if anyone is interested. Man, I miss that hair!!!!

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

• bwilburn79
          bwilburn79 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting Brian. Man, sounds like you guys really suffered on tour.

• daebado
          daebado commented
          Editing a comment
          It's tough, but not impossible to come back! I lost a lot more than I realized after 8 years off but I think I have now finally reached a point where I might actually be a little better than I was. Of course, at 51 yrs. old I don't quite have the speed or endurance I had at 20 but even some of that comes back, too!

Enjoyed the video. You guys were good! (and yeah, I miss my hair, too!)

Mark

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          It was difficult bwil, especially the topless beaches, lol.

Agreed Mark, I was coming along well until messing up my arm. That seems to be getting better so hopefully as I continue to rehab I'll be back to 100%. I understand what you mean about being better, I can't do some of the speed stuff like I used to but I feel I'm a smarter player now. Complex beats no longer baffle me the way they used to and I'm more in tune with what the song really needs rather than worrying about showing off.

Well, I still show off a little, lol.

Was dead set on playing drums when I was a kid. I had a magic kit that had a bunch of wands and instead of doing magic I'd just drum on the floor with a couple of wands. My mother told me I might have to play the triangle and I only wanted to play the snare. That freaked me out so I ended up playing trumpet in order to spite another classmate who thought he was a brilliant trumpet player and to avoid being the possibly sexually confused triangle player at a Catholic school. You don't wanna be that guy.

Picked up the drums at about 18 and I'm on my way at 22 now though. It's a shame I missed out on all that time I could have been practicing but oh well. I'm making up for it now. I also love fingerstyle acoustic guitar. Andy McKee, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU

Comment

Working...
        X