Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

I thoroughly enjoy this forum, and although I'm relatively new and this is my first post, I've gained a well-full of knowledge and suggestions from the many topics. So, I thought I'd use the foyer to introduce myself.

I won't go into detail about my drumming history, except to say that I've been playing since 1978, playing in various concert, High School Marching and College Marching bands. My passion is playing in rock, country and praise/worship bands, although I'm not currently active.

Last March I was looking to get a TD-15KV because I liked its Hi-Hat setup vs. the TD-15K's. What I did instead was to buy the TD-15K and mount the Hi-Hat in the middle between the two high toms. I use it for a splash cymbal or for special effects. Then I also purchased a Zildjian gen-16 box set with the 13" Hi-hats, etc. I'm enjoying this setup.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a SPD-SX. I'm looking to sample music into it and then play along with it; sort of like doing a one-man-band deal (without the bass drum strapped to my back and cymbals attached at my knees, while playing an accordian). Music created in Acoustica's Mixcraft 6, transferrs nicely in .WAV format, to the SPD-SX. Via MIDI, I intend to connect the TD-15K module into the SPD-SX also and see what fun I can create. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'd be interested in learning more.

I'll work on my avatar and also posting pictures of my setup if anyone's interested.

Enjoy your day everyone!
    TD-15K, SPD-SX, BOSS FS-6, KD-8, Zildjian gen-16 AE Cymbals (13" HH, 14" Crash, 16" Crash, 18" Ride)

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice kit. How much noise do the gen16s when they are not amplified? Are they louder than the roland cymbals? Also let be be the first to ask that you post some pictures of the kit.
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• BWaj
      BWaj commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jim,is your last name Orlando or do you live there? Because I'm in Orlando too!

Gen 16's are really quite, a little louder than the rubber pad but because they sound like a cymbal, it's it's not annoying like hearing the sound of rubber. When we have quiet practices to really listen to stuff, I hear the rubber pads over my monitor but the Gen 16's still sound natural.

• jimorlando
      jimorlando commented
      Editing a comment
      BWaj,
      It's my last name. I am in Northern Virginia. I will probably need to stay with the Roland cymbals since the volume is important to keep the piece in my house. Also if / when I spring for the TD-30KV I would have a tough time justifying a set of Gen 16's as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome aboard. Nice kit you got there. No doubt we all want to see pix of your kit. So when you get a moment show us what you got!
    Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, hbpls! Keep enjoying your new setup. Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Great intro!! I've put all sorts of wav files into my SPD-s, just have to make sure the bit rate is the same. Haven't done the whole one man show with it. Suppose I could with all the drumless tracks I have. Never put them into the SPD-s tho, just plugged my iPod or laptop into the module mix in and go. Great all in one solution tho. Post some pics and HAVE FUN!!!!!!
        K ;-)
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thanks Kenster and everyone else!

Right now, my hi-hat stand is over at my son's friend's house along with my acoustic drums. They have a little thing going with some other friends. I'll try to get it home soon to get a complete picture of the setup. Hey, at least he's carrying on the drumming tradition in our family.
          TD-15K, SPD-SX, BOSS FS-6, KD-8, Zildjian gen-16 AE Cymbals (13" HH, 14" Crash, 16" Crash, 18" Ride)

Comment

Welcome and I'm looking forward to the pics too!

That's a really cool concept, I always felt like I need a full band but if keyboard and guitar players can play along to sampled music live, why not us?? So long as you sing too, that would be a lot more entertaining than a keyboard player up there alone!
            TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

For those interested in photos, here's one from behind.

Also, for the gen-16's, the Hi-Hat and the ride cymbal sound good on their own, In my opinion, the crash cymbals sound a little clangy by themselves, but when hooked up to a PA system or through headphones, they sound amazing (using sound settings I downloaded from a Zildjian forum). I play them in my basement and my family upstairs do not complain about the volume. BWaj's assessment above is spot on.

Happy drumming!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Kenster
                Kenster commented
                Editing a comment
                Very lovely kit!!!!

K ;-)

• jimorlando
                jimorlando commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice and also interesting that you are using both Roland and Gen16 cymbals.

Really nice set up! I did the same as you in keeping my rubber cymbals too. They work great for percussion, splash or china cymbals and FX or if I just want to make sure no matter where I swing, I'm gonna hit something that makes a sound, lol.

I put one right over my ride bell too and have it dedicated to a bell as I'm not happy with the Gen 16 bell. Have you had any luck with the bell?

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Have you had any luck with the bell?

[/QUOTE]
                I'm not too disappointed with the bell sound. It certainly does not compare to the real sound of a normal cymbal. I like it better than the rubber cymbal only because Roland's CY-13R gives you a much smaller target to hit. Also, as I mentioned, somewhere I found a .zip file posted in some forum (maybe it was this one, I can't remember) for some sound settings that someone created for the gen-16's. One was posted entitled "One Ping Only" and it produced a very nice sound. Let me do some research to see if I can find the link..

Comment

• Kenster
                  Kenster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Vasily? One ping only please!

K

• hbpls
                  hbpls commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll…

Originally posted by hbpls View Post
                Thanks Kenster and everyone else!

Right now, my hi-hat stand is over at my son's friend's house along with my acoustic drums. They have a little thing going with some other friends. I'll try to get it home soon to get a complete picture of the setup. Hey, at least he's carrying on the drumming tradition in our family.
                Whoah!!!!!!!!!!! You're setting a bad precedent and already teaching your son and his friend how to "scrub" for gear...let them learn to buy their own lol!!!!! It's like the 60's never left us as far as musicians go..."Hey man, can I borrow a dollar? Hey man, can I borrow your HH stand? Hey man, how about I throw in a 6 pack and you sell me that guitar for $20?"

Gotta tell 'em, no beer for gear dude!

K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                X