Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another freakin idiot who really shouldn't be drumming...but I am!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another freakin idiot who really shouldn't be drumming...but I am!

Hello, denizens of the rhythmic world! I've had exactly zero drum lessons, but I've been playing music for over 30 years (guitar mostly) and recording my horribly-amateurish creations since I bought my first 4-track back around 1986. I graduated to a Roland W30 sampling keyboard and then used that 12-bit wonder to create slightly less ****ty tracks around 1989. Incrementally my equipment got better and my songs became a little less shifty (but they never got good). Fast-forward to two weeks ago: I had a recording studio built into my garage and, after years of finger drumming on keyboards, I got myself a Roland TD-15. It's a major leap forward and my still-****ty songs at least are starting to sound like full-on productions. So here I am, fumbling my way through drumming and trying to get the best possible sounds out of my kit. To that end, I don't use its internal sounds but am using Addictive Drums (inside Logic X). Looks like Addictive Drum hi hats only have open/closed positions and that's nagging at me. It doesn't sound real enough. So I'm here to find out if getting more levels of aftertouch data are available within AD and if not, I'm considering Superior Drummer. And of course, learn more about vdrums and share what I've learned so far. Look forward to interacting with y'all!
    Roland TD-15 K; Macbook Pro w/ Retina (2.6 ghz with 8 g ram; 500 g drive); Logic Pro X; Propellerhead Balance interface; Addictive Drums 1.5.7; sticks made out of wood; a stool; some guitars hanging on my walls, mostly Fenders; scented candles.

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you should freakin care if you should be drumming or not. If you want to drum, then drum. I think you will find the same sentiment here. I never felt that anyone is judging anyone else here and most are anxious to help and give advice if they can. So bang the drums and enjoy!
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Yeah, everybody around me hates the drums and want's me to go for a check up from the neck up! That's why I know I am on the right track. I came back to drumming after quitting for over 40 years and I love it! I play for my happiness and I'm happy! Enjoy!

Comment

Don't call yourself an idiot
        TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-9-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, leave that to us!!

No idiots on this freakin' forum whatsoever....

...just a lot of nice, enthusiastic people! - Welcome to the freaky-deaky forum, MoonGuy!

Greetings from Switzerland,
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thank you guys. I lovingly call myself an idiot, but don't worry, my self-esteem is in full effect. You guys have any idea how I add my equipment list to the signature? Can't seem to find it.
          Roland TD-15 K; Macbook Pro w/ Retina (2.6 ghz with 8 g ram; 500 g drive); Logic Pro X; Propellerhead Balance interface; Addictive Drums 1.5.7; sticks made out of wood; a stool; some guitars hanging on my walls, mostly Fenders; scented candles.

Comment

Oh, and Addictive Drums certainly handles varying levels of HH open-ness. Go into the settings of AD and configure your HH.

Welcome!
            eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
            aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
            TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

Every drummer I know (including myself) is a little mad... so you are in good company!

Yep, check the map window in AD... you can adjust settings for your HH controller there.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Welcome new friend, in the land of varying stages of idiots, moe-rons and saps, you'll find all kinds of helpful tips to have FUN and accomplish your goals. And judging by my post count I am over 3,000 times a bigger idiot than you will ever be. Welcome and post some pics!!!!

K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

User Settings > Account > Edit Post Signature...
                  TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Thank you, jonm42, I go the signature working now. And thanks, perseval, I got the different levels of hi hat thing figured out, too. It kept defaulting to a map that was incorrect so now I've got the TD-20 map with some hi hat tweaks as the default. I think I may still get Superior Drummer. I imagine it's got more levels than AD. I'll investigate.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Okay, let's see:

Roland TD-11, Taylor T5, Hagström Hollowbody, Black Precision bass, two Telecasters (droool...), a Neumann mic, Dynaudio monitors, Proppelerhead 'Balance' interface... Dang, Isure would feel comfy in that place!

(Still trying to figure out the controller keyboard... At first I thought CME UF-series or a Nord. But Nord doesn't do any key-controllers, and the CME's layout doesn't seem to fit. M-Audio Impulse, perhaps? ...It's kind of hard to make out).

Greetings from Switzerland,
                        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• perceval
                          perceval commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You forgot the lamp!

• TheMoonGuy
                          TheMoonGuy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          HairMetal, you are gooooood. Damn. It's a TD-15, a '67 Hagstrom Viking, a Mexi P-bass, an American Standard Tele (green) and a custom shop Inca Silver Tele, a U 67 (inherited it from my dad; I could never afford that). The controller is a Novation Impulse 49. The lamps are Ikea. You missed the Martin D-15...

• hairmetal-81
                          hairmetal-81 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hehehe! You gotta love Ikea ....the Stockholm series!

I don't know why I suddenly attributed the Impulse-controllers to m-audio... (that's a 'FacePalm' right there...), and frequently seem to mix up the 11 and the 15 - must be the color...

Welcome. We're all idiots on this percussion bus. Have stick will flamadiddle. I too gave up drums for well over 30 years before I decided it was time to hop back on to the throne. I went acoustic set first, then realized for my home studio I needed electronic. My musical muses loving known as my messterpieces, are now created by me and my lunacy upstairs in my man cave known as Spare Room Productions. All for fun and pleasure. Mainly re record Beatles songs and parody the lyrics for a friend of mine each year for his birthday. Guess I should try and do more originals. But I can't. I'm an idiot!
                        Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

Welcome and yet another here who hung it up, though only for 15 years or so for me. I'd so glad I started up again. I reconnected with guys a played with 25 years ago and we just started playing out again. We're recording new tunes and having a blast!

So much more fun when it's not for a living and you don't care if you even get outta the home studio. Enjoy!
                          TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X