Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Guy (for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Guy (for now)

Greetings. Been google-lurking for ages while doing research, signed up a while back. Finally got a module, so can start trying out stuff without having to finish up an Arduino Mega trigger to midi converter first. Got a Remo practice pad set off ebay already converted to mesh with triggers for a great deal (though had to replace several broken brackets and might have to re-do a couple pads)...and just got a Roland TD-6V still to test.

I'm more of a keyboard player but have always had an interest in drumming and for some reason this year I'm taking it up. I'm working on a little Arduino input engine for Mac, but don't know how far along I'll get with that, meaning one that intakes the Arduino trigger scanning info over USB etc, and plays .wav files, etc. I just need to figure out a little crosstalk handling algorithm then I think that will work fine. 15 trigger input + one for a pot. Getting the TD-6V has put the motivation off for that for a while though, since I can play something now (if the triggers work)

Working on some DIY cymbals (found some cool non-flat rounded pizza pans at Big Lots) and using Harbor Freight toolbox liner per a mention I saw here or somewhere else (can't find the link).

Wondering if anyone has ever applied microswitches to cymbal-choke applications? Seems perfectly suited since the travel is small, and pressures light. Have added some vinyl tubing edging around the circlets around the mesh pads on the Remo's to reduce the accidental whack noise and improve aesthetic blandness. Because I'm weird I might light it all up too, have parts for all that but I'm notorious for dreaming bigger than implementation these days. If going the Arduino route can use the trigger velocity to set the PWM pulse and make the brightness whack-based to some degree, otherwise, just flick it on a bit.

I can't afford a real kit currently, otherwise would get an Alesis DM something, or ideally, a Yamaha DTX522K. I can't afford a Roland set, just their 10 year old modules. (had no idea it was that old, or would have gotten a new DTX502 for this, probably)

But I also went with the Roland because it looked spiffy, and had more practice songs.

And if it's not obvious, I can write a lot.

rc
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

I'm guessing you have a computer, and since money seems tight, have a look at the sample library DrumMic'a. It's free, sounds great, and will work with your td6. Should keep you much happier than the stock td6 sounds.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks, I downloaded DrumMic'a. Does that only have one kit, just super sampled all around using different microphones? (Seems so). Looking to get a PD-8 or PD-9 to add to my rack, those are rather affordable. Will probably pick up Steve Slate Drums 4 later, though I'm not sure that has as many velocity layers as the competition.
      - - -
      Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Wow! Awesome! Please keep us posted of the project with pics, this is what it's all about! As far as DIY cymbals with switches, talk with JMan, he's one of our resident experts on DIY cymbals.
        K ;-)
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Update on me Remo'matic e-kit. I've been collecting pads, clamps, hardware, so now I almost have a 'real' Roland kit by itself. Of course, by then, I realize I don't much like rubber pads. With the exception of ride and crash cymbals or proxies (am using PD-9's for now), my kit is about complete.

I probably have one of the least glamorous kits in this joint, wait until I paint it mean sparkle green but it allowed me to put it all together as the small bits of cash came in. I made 2 cymbal mounts from dowels, covered in metal tape, and some hardware. They look almost real chrome like and were about $6 each total. They will work fine for the purpose, and they mount in the verticals really nice using leg-end rubber, with holes in them…they wedge right in, perfect. Home Depot could be renamed E-Kit Supply.

Currently, I'm not using the CY-5, it's either off in the head or needs repair (that's why I got it for $25)…rather insensitive to hits when set up right trigger wise in the module. PD-7 works better, and works even better if you choose another than 'proper' trigger. (more volume, more sensitive).

The Simmons SDMP1 is really cool, great deal at $50, I jumped on that. Still has the plastic film on the UI. I got two pedals for it to make it more kit-like and they cost much more. But testing them today, I find they are really dogs as to both feel, and function. (Yamaha HH-60 or HH-65 and Simmons seems to be cross-compatible).

Since some people might not know how cheaply or expensively these things can be built…I added in info about what I paid (I left out some of the shipping fees, they range from free to $15)

Last night is the first time I really got to beat on these things for a good while instead of just here and there, and it was really nice. Even sounded ok too, at times.

I see I left out the drum throne…got that $29 shipped ebay from Music123…but need to make a DIY Roc'n'soc saddle for more comfort. So for now I play standing up, and enjoy it.

rc
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          - - -

Comment

I actually like your approach quite a lot Mesh. We all DIY for various reasons. Some, like to mod existing things, some to get more bang for the buck, and some because it's often the cheapest route. Many will appreciate your approach because it will get them up and drumming sooner rather than later. Kudos ,sir.
            Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Wilburn. This is all fun stuff. I've never had G.A.S. with keyboards like I do with this stuff, but I'm slowing down finally. And it's time to learn to play better though I'll always be a 'for fun' drummer I think. I'm doing OK for a month. Thank gosh for YouTube instruction videos.

What's hurting is that right now there's an awesome Pearl deal for sale for $150 locally, only lacks a couple cymbals, and I lack the spare, today is bill day. I could be in A2E for practically nothing! Oh well, another will come around.

For this kit I have 2 cymbals (crash and ride) left to make, and then need to convert my 2 remaining shock-pad T1 and T2 to the Roland approach, then my volumes and playing surfaces should be uniform. This works really well and the mesh heads are practically silent. I will make a larger snare after that though this one works great, very sensitive.

For those using Roland modules with non-Roland or DIY pads, make sure you do have a switch or other means to reverse the polarity for the main head piezo, it really seems to help…you lose a half phase of velocity information otherwise, and I can tell the difference between my pads that are set to Roland standard polarity, vs Alesis or Yamaha for instance (non-reversed).
              - - -

Comment

I know nothing about electronics other than how to plug them in and turn them on and off. So to me, what you have created is nothing short of awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos and good luck with the drum lessons!
                Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Meshopotamia!
                  Greetings from Switzerland,
                  - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments and welcomes.

I had a head start with the Remo pads, the seller had converted them to shock plate style (funky style)…but I've converted them to foam cone types, sort of a squashed Roland style. That's worked nice. I did the final two last night, but tom 1 is not kicking out as much oomph for some reason, so am re-working on that one, putting in a different piezo.

Just scored a couple more e-cymbals on ebay, one dual and one single trigger (will use single for aux Crash), so am only lacking another dual now. I might make that item, since the Roland cymbals are not as quiet as I'd like. I can hear their thumps over my headphones.

Sure seems that the Roland modules (TD-6V here) much prefer that reverse head piezo polarity as some have noted. Since switching the kick pad peizo polarity, it never misses a trigger, and is consistent in volume now.

rc
                    - - -

Comment

My kit is finally is finished! Mostly. I now have 4 cymbals, (hat, crash 1 and crash 2, ride), and Kick, Snare, T1,T2,T3, T4 on 7/8 inputs (will split 5/6 too.) .

They are 2 x CY-5, one Alesis Ion 12" single zone, and one 12" Simmons S1000CYM12DC I believe, dual zone.

Earlier this week I picked up a Ludwig 22" Kick and 2 toms for only $50, so can start an A2E for my next kit, G.A.S. Gone Wild.

Sorry the pic is not better. Gotta clean up the studio and re-arrange.

Note ultra-important Jack in the Box eyeball protector on Hi-Hat rod.

Just need a fat-boy throne and then I can practice longer.

r

Attached Files
                      - - -

Comment

Working...
                      X