Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there where I bug you about who Iam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there where I bug you about who Iam?

Hello!

My name is Mike, some of you might know me as the-dude-who-can't-decide-what-kit-to-get-so-he-makes-a-bunch-of-threads-about-everything-and-nothing-and-it-drives-me-crazy.
    I'm 22 years old, I come from Sweden. I've been playing the drums kinda on-and-off for 8-ish years.
    My health hasn't always allowed me to play the drums to the extent that I want to.
    I have a disease called Loeys-Dietz Syndrome, it's a genetic disorder resulting in my skeleton being, well not really fragile like brittle bone disease but it kind of break here and there randomly sometimes. I have done 4 athrodesis surgeries to my spine, due to discs breaking, sliding and all that kind of crap. I have also gone through various other surgeries like getting a mechanical aortic valve, the latest surgery whas a neck-surgery done in november 2013.

Despite all of this, I love to play the drums, even if my back hurts from drumthrones since they aren't really ergonomical or supportive.
    My biggest achievement in drumming must have been about 3-4 years ago when I was still in school and we put up a musical, a modern take on Romeo & Juliet with only Beatles-music and I was the only drummer in the orchestra, doing 10-15-ish songs 2-3 times a day, every 2 days for 2 weeks with my health condition. That's probably when I was the most proud of myself about something about drumming, the fact that I could be stubborn enough to learn all the songs and muster through all those live shows, putting the pain aside.

I have a weak-spot for Yamaha drums, both acoustic and electronic and I'd love to buy like a DTX 532K or something to have here at home to play on. But it's hard to get a job these days, especially one that I can do with and that I'm qualified for so even a 532K is considered rather expensive for me so at the moment I'm torturing myself with an old Alesis DM5 my mother bought for the years ago so I'd have something to practice on.

Anyways, I can't really think of anything else about myself that's any interesting, if you have any questions feel free to ask, nothing is ''too personal'' or anything like that.
    So that's me, the swedish guy who blabbers away in all the wall-of-text-threads he creates!

Take care!
    //Mike.

Welcome Mike. Greetings from Tennessee, USA. I'm sorry to hear about your health condition but I'm glad you choose to push yourself as much as possible.
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

Welcome and thank you for the intro! I hope your health gets better or stays manageable.

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Hi Mike the first e-kit I got to play on was a yamaha and was looking for one I could afford when I found the Roland TD-6 set I have now.... Lived for 20 years with Crohn's disease and remember not eating for 6 to 8 hours before a show so there wouldn't be problems.... welcome to the board. Sooooooo much information to gleen here.....
        TD-6 Vexed... TD-12 vexed .... hard at work on an A to E conversion and pretty sure that will never end till i do.....lol

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

Nice to see a familiar-looking user-name. And 'Yes!', lots of fans and experienced members of Yamaha-gear here on this forum.

Sorry to hear about your health condition! At the same time though: Kudos for still taking on the 'Drumming-adventure'! Your strength of will is truly nothing short of applaudable!

I wish you just good things for your A-to-E kit journey, and hope you get a good result you feel content with, and that you will enjoy just playing away on!

Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Have fun!
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Well I'd like to bug you about "ergonomical or supportive" thrones! I hurt my back in a car accident a few years ago, and I'm really picky with my chairs and things now. I don't have the kind of back problems you do, but it is long term recovery time to get completely back to normal.

What thrones do you find help you the most?

I was looking at a Pork Pie with a back rest and then a retailer suggested that I try a Carmichael throne, which I'd never heard of. They look a bit weird.

Have you found anything that makes a noticeable difference?

By the way, it's awesome that you still play, and love playing, with your health problems!
              Kaiju
              Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

Originally posted by Oenone View Post
                Well I'd like to bug you about "ergonomical or supportive" thrones! I hurt my back in a car accident a few years ago, and I'm really picky with my chairs and things now. I don't have the kind of back problems you do, but it is long term recovery time to get completely back to normal.

What thrones do you find help you the most?

I was looking at a Pork Pie with a back rest and then a retailer suggested that I try a Carmichael throne, which I'd never heard of. They look a bit weird.

Have you found anything that makes a noticeable difference?

By the way, it's awesome that you still play, and love playing, with your health problems!
                Well the most ''ergonomical'' chair I've used is one of those Tama First Chairs or whatever they're called, with a backrest, very simple and it was a bit better than a regular, plain throne, but I've never gotten the chance to try out any chair made to be easy on your back and such, the selection of chairs in the music stores around here (with ''around here'' I mean in Stockholm about an hour of commuter train away) isn't very impressive. So the only chance of me getting a real ergonomical chair is to order it from abroad..

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to have to order whatever I want in too. I'd heard good things about Pork Pie and Roc N Soc, Pork Pie was winning for me because I can match it to my drums, they make them in any colour scheme you ask for, but then the Carmichael thrones were put out there as an option to me. Whatever I choose I will need to order without trying first though.
                  Last edited by Oenone; 01-24-14, 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling.
                  Kaiju
                  Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

Originally posted by Oenone View Post
                    Yeah, I'm going to have to order whatever I want in too. I'd heard good things about Pork Pie and Roc N Soc, Pork Pie was winning for me because I can match it to my drums, they make them in any colour scheme you ask for, but then the Carmichael thrones were put out there as an option to me. Whatever I choose I will need to order without trying first though.
                    I'm looking at Carmichael thrones atm, is that cut in the middle made to not put any pressure on your spine? It's sound lovely, if they're not too hard to sit on they could be amazing if you buy a backrest for it aswell. I think the Pork Pie ones could easily be too soft for you if you have a back problem, I could be wrong, but from the pictures they look like they are really ''soft'' like a mix between a drum throne and a sofa, and that could easily result in you slouching or such making your back hurt even more.

Comment

Pork Pie have a firm or soft seat option, so you choose which style, how firm, if you want a short or standard base (I'm short so I have trouble with some not being quite low enough for me to have good posture), colours, then if you want a back rest.

The Carmichael thrones have got me thinking though. It just looks pretty different so I don't know what they'd be like to actually sit on.

Any that I choose will be only based on reviews and what is,, in theory, best for my back though, no try before you buy option here.
                      Kaiju

Comment

Working...
                      X