Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And Now For Something Completely Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Now For Something Completely Different

After 25 years of offering audio and athletics software, I have made a major change. This is a change that some of you might find useful, particularly those who need an audio editor. You can head off to my site to check it out ( www.dissidents.com ) but here's what I wrote on one page:

Hi. My name is Jim and I'm the resident dissident, programmer and author. I've been a college professor for many years teaching in the areas of electrical engineering technology, computer programming and the science of sound. I'm also a musician and an endurance athlete. I established dissidents in the late 1980s as a way to offer various software items that I created, figuring that other people might find them useful as well. Some of these have been commercial and some have been freeware. I also write a lot, including published college text books and lab manuals. Recently, the open educational resource movement has gained momentum (no doubt at least partly propelled by the rising costs of college tuition and texts). As I am no supporter of the growing "corporate-ness" in our society, nor a believer in the dogma that unfettered free market capitalism is the answer to all problems, I decided to do the dissident thing and offer all the titles here freely. This includes all of the above technical titles which, if offered by a traditional college textbook publisher, would be fetching in the neighborhood of $100 or more each these days. It is my hope that others will do likewise, all of us offering something of value to the community, improving the situation for everyone. An appropriate quote comes to mind:

"We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on."

- Richard Feynman

When the Sample Wrench audio editor was first released on the Amiga computer in 1988 it sold for $299. Much has changed in 25 years. The most recent version (5.7) comes in two flavors: mini and "high res" with at least 32 bit floating point processing at all points (in some areas much more). Anyway, you can get it free now. No strings attached. No ads, no rabid capitalist trickery, nothing but handcrafted software that I hope you find useful.
Working...
X