Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But... now it doesn't match! (how important is matching equipment to you?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R_Z
    replied
    I am one of those who thought everything should match. But then I go and buy this Frankenstein kit where the toms and snare are wrapped in black and the bass is wrapped in white. I thought it was gonna keep me up nights, but to be honest, it plays great and I don't notice it anymore. If you are happy with it and love the sound, just enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• Cheddies
    replied
    Yeah - my space reserved for drums could not handle the GAS - so I am building an entirely new room. I will call it the GAS Cave.

Leave a comment:

• Oenone
    replied
    It will! It really, really will! I'm happy in the wonderful land of Denial...

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by Oenone View Post
    It's going to work, fail proof! I hope... My new drums will be shipping early next week, and I've just ordered a new drum rack. I'm still deciding on if I get a Pork Pie throne to match it all, or a different throne, I really wish I could try before I buy on these. My budget can't handle any more GAS, and neither can my living room!
    hehehehe...sure it will. That's what everyone says...just embrace the GAS and have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Oenone
    replied
    It's going to work, fail proof! I hope... My new drums will be shipping early next week, and I've just ordered a new drum rack. I'm still deciding on if I get a Pork Pie throne to match it all, or a different throne, I really wish I could try before I buy on these. My budget can't handle any more GAS, and neither can my living room!

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied

This is why I need to make with everything match. Once it's all matching perfectly, the idea of adding non-matching things will be too hard to deal with! That's what I'm hoping anyway.
    Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post

Is this a tactic or strategy to actually beatGAS....?
    hehehehe...this just means that eventually....you will be building several matching kits over time.

Leave a comment:

• hairmetal-81
    replied

This is why I need to make with everything match. Once it's all matching perfectly, the idea of adding non-matching things will be too hard to deal with! That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Is this a tactic or strategy to actually beat GAS....?
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-30-14, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oenone
    replied
    Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
    You are way too early in the GAS phase, like Stage 1 GAS, to be worrying about matching.

Leave a comment:

• bwilburn79
    replied
    Why? Because the way you are talking, 1 year from now you will not own any of that equipment - it will have all slowly been replaced by different stuff and different ideas.
    I agree completely. One year ago I was playing an Alesis DM-8 and trying to figure out how to build a snare for it. Today, I'm working on my second full kit and my gathering supplies for the third. G.A.S. will get you where you want to be.

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
    The 4 bass kit on page 1 appears to be the Twisted Sister drummer, and he has a TS shirt on as well. Those guys have fun and enjoy what they are doing.

As for matching - YES, I want everything to match, lined up, and perfect. HOWEVER, I would say that for you at THIS point, don't worry about it. Why? Because the way you are talking, 1 year from now you will not own any of that equipment - it will have all slowly been replaced by different stuff and different ideas. You are way too early in the GAS phase, like Stage 1 GAS, to be worrying about matching.
    Yep...sometimes you just have to jump in and and get a feel for the kit. Tastes..needs and ideas change quickly from one minute to the next...and sometimes a great deal will just come about that pushes you in a direction that you never even considered. It's good to have a plan....but it's also good to just keep playing and let the GAS have it's way. The possibilities are endless.

Leave a comment:

• ohlarikd
    replied
    The 4 bass kit on page 1 appears to be the Twisted Sister drummer, and he has a TS shirt on as well. Those guys have fun and enjoy what they are doing.

As for matching - YES, I want everything to match, lined up, and perfect. HOWEVER, I would say that for you at THIS point, don't worry about it. Why? Because the way you are talking, 1 year from now you will not own any of that equipment - it will have all slowly been replaced by different stuff and different ideas. You are way too early in the GAS phase, like Stage 1 GAS, to be worrying about matching.

Leave a comment:

• Cheddies
    commented on 's reply
    I'd Love to be able to do this - but then i stand back and look at it. I like to have my chips straight.

• csnow
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about it matching. As long as it triggers good and you like it, play it. I had a friend who pieced his kit together slowly as funds allowed. He would always check classifieds and yard sales. Nothing of his matched but it had a really nice tone as a kit and sounded great. It gives it character - rock it.

Leave a comment:

• csnow
    commented on 's reply
    Jelly bean Vistalites are very cool - great post. When I saw the post Jerry did with the painted 2box pads, it made me think of the jelly bean visti's.
    Last edited by csnow; 01-27-14, 05:53 PM.

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    commented on 's reply
    I hope not...way to Rock Bandish. 2Box already gets enough flack from the uneducated peanut gallery about being a cheap toy. I hope they wise up a bit and produce some more conservative colors like brushed aluminum...or black
Working...
X