Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But... now it doesn't match! (how important is matching equipment to you?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But... now it doesn't match! (how important is matching equipment to you?)

So, I got a new 12" snare for Xmas, which left we with an 8" single zone (It is a Koby mesh head with a Z-ed triple x on it) knocking around.

When playing around last night I stuck the Koby pad on in place of my third Yamaha rubber pad - actually just to test how he fixing works with the Yamaha hex rods (really well actually). I played on it for a while and prefer it to the old tom pad - I dunno what it is, I just much prefer playing it.

This leaves me with an issue - my two high toms are still Yamaha rubber pads - and there is very little hope of me getting 2 more koby pads (they have gone out of business and they rarely come up on ebay). So I could get two different mesh pads, and still not have them match (at least I could put triple x heads on each of them) - or just stick with it, or go back to a rubber tom and sell the mesh pad. It bothers me having things not match - not for 'feel' or playability - mostly just for aesthetics - shallow huh?

So - this brings me to my question - how important to you is it that you have a 'theme' on your kit, or that everything matches?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

hehehe...I feel your pain. However..the Koby pad looks very easy to DIY. Give it a shot...be creative...you just might like what you come up with.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Not quite what you're asking, but Koby is still in business - although making different stuff now. Try Googling Koby ( they're in Liverpool) and contact Colin. He may still have some pads kicking around. And tell him Allan sent you!
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

@Allan - I found their Nano pads site previously - did not think to contact them through there. I spoke to a guy at ADC drums in liverpool (who used to be the main distributor for Koby) and he was the one who told me they were kaput. Will email them now.

@Daniel - you are not wrong, it is essentially a diy pad - a piece of wood, with a moulded plastic basket on top, the Piezo in the middle with a foam cylinder on it. However - if I was going to DIY anything i'd prbably just get some old shells and do it that way, less parts to fabricate!
        --
        West London, UK.
        TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

G.A.S has hit you with a vengeance, my friend!

If I counted correctly, you should still have two Yamaha rubber-pads left: a floortom-, and a snare-pad.
          Use Them!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

haha HM, yeah I did have a touch of G.A.S. and you are right. I have 2 tp65 single zone toms, but currently a mount for only one of them. what I dont have is any space on my rack, or the splitter to split one of my toms.

I might try and squeeze a tom on the upright between t2 and 3 - and then have 4 rubber pads and sell off this koby pad. at least then itll match!
            Last edited by Cheddies; 01-01-14, 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
            --
            West London, UK.

Comment

Give it a try! - ...it sounds like a good plan to me!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

HM: I can't fit that 4th tom on the rack in any sort of usable location. Had a go this afternoon. Without getting a longer arm (no space) or coming up with some other mounting solution, It ain't gunna happen Allan: in communication with Collin now. He says he has the parts but no made up pads. Cheers for the heads up.
                --
                West London, UK.

Comment

Sounds like this is another case for the ever popular "Used Gibraltar Extension Tube"...!
                  Hehehe....

Your choice of flavour; featuring acquired tastes of 'straight' and 'curved', or the ever-exotic 'V-pipe'.

10-15 centimetres of a longer right-side tube won't hamper space or 'compactness' in your case, I reckon.
                  Happy bargain hunting!
                  Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-01-14, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Ha! Its looking like I might complete the set of Koby pads after all.
                    --
                    West London, UK.

Comment

Matching? Nahhhh...it's what's more functional, as long as it doesn't look like it's damaged or something.
                      As long as it's not too ghetto.
                      K ;-)
                      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Looking ghetto? Like... trash-can looks and plumber-pipe?
                        But... it matches!

I just love that one!

Comment

• Kenster
                          Kenster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks like Juan Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter!

Some things I like to match, like drum heads for example. But for others I can let it go, like cymbals. I do like a mis-matching snare drum on my kits though. Matching snare drums look dumb.
                        I think my work is done here.

Comment

As An update - Colin from Koby is a jolly nice chap who has agreed to make me up a couple of extra pads for an awesome (impossible to say no to) price! So yeah, he is not running at full building capacity at the moment but it is worth contacting him if you want anything Koby!

Tommy - I am with you on Drum heads. Am I the only one that has to have the logos all pointed in the right direction too? (I am happy with them either all angled towards me, or all directly forwards). My snare's logo is skewed at the moment because I am still tweaking position but I will be taking the head off and rotating it this evening.

Come to think of it, I spent about 10 mins the other day making sure all of the wingnuts on my rack were lined up horizontally. :/

I think I might have an issue .
                          --
                          West London, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheddies View Post
                            Come to think of it, I spent about 10 mins the other day making sure all of the wingnuts on my rack were lined up horizontally. :/

I think I might have an issue .

Meh - don't worry... Guitar-players are worse than that!!!

"Behold and see, if there be any sorrow"

(...or maybe that was: "Behold the legendary OCD pedal!")

Comment

Working...
                            X