Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum conundrum

Greetings. My name is Ron and I stumbled upon your site. I've been a "drummer" for the better part of 50 years. I was never great, but I always made noise. During the 50 year ride, I changed to guitar, then bass, but I always tried to own some form of drum set. A few years ago I bought a Simmons set, but it didn't really do it for me so I sold it on Craigslist and bought a shiny acoustic set. That's fun for banging around, but for micing and recording in my home studio, well, it just doesn't make sense to me. I love my acoustic set and don't plan on selling it. However, for those rare occasions that I want to record some drum tracks to a song I working on, I'd like to have another electronic set, but a nice one(nothing against simmons!).

I read about an Alesis 10X set. But the more I read, the more I decided it wasn't for me. For one, no mesh heads. Two, too many threshold and crossover issues. Three, too big. When I say too big, I have a small space in my studio/office that I can fit a set and be able to run the stereo out in to my stand alone DAW inputs.

This brings me here. I've tried to find locally a TD15 to test, but even the Banjo Center nearby only has the TD30. It sounds great, but it's too big and more than I want to spend. Can I get some feedback on the 15 as far as sounds go, quality, module, upgrades and anything else that will help me with this. I'd like to get something soon and Roland seems to be the best out there as far as realistic sounds and feel.

If you think something else would work for my needs, please let me know. I value the input.

Thanks!!! Ron
    Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Welcome!!! You need to look at Yamaha and 2Box as well for "realistic" sounds. Buying used will save you lots of dough. Just my 2 cents.

K ;-)
    Last edited by Kenster; 11-14-13, 11:11 AM.
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Welcome to the forum, R_Z!

+1 on everything that Kenster said!
      Your gorgeous sharp-tongued stab at the 'Banjo Center' have earned you Brownie points on my part - hilarious remark!

Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

+ another for the 2Box module which you can convert and load your favorite VST samples into for your recording....or just trigger them in your DAW. That said.....keep the acoustic kit and either build some inexpensive internal triggers(using Quartz parts and the DIY forums here) and put mesh heads on them...or try out the new Aqaurian inHeads that have FSR triggers integrated directly into the mylar heads. Either of these solutions with the 2Box should give you what you are looking for for recording...and jamming with friends.
        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I agree with the excellent suggestion by Daniel: If you don't need your A-kit as ...well, an A-kit simply, start assemble it to form an E-kit!

2box was mentioned here already, but simply because I like the aural quality of that word:

2box!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Thanks for the nice welcomes. I must go on record as saying I'm technically challenged when it comes to VST's, FSR's, ABC, NBC, CBS. I'm pretty much an input to output guy. If tape recorders were common, I'd probably still have one. I did watch a video or two on the 2box and the sounds were excellent. I do need to learn how to work with programs like Addictive Drums and the like, but I was hoping to just find a set to give me a decent amount of quality sounds. I'll certainly explore the Yammies and the 2box as well as the DIY forum. Thanks.
            Roland TDW-20 Frankenstein kit: TDW-20 Module, TD-12 Rack. 1 PD-125 Snare, 4 PD-105 Toms, 1 KD-120 Kick, 1 CY-12 Cymbals, 3 CY-8 Cymbals, 1 VH-12 Hi-Hat, DW-9000 Remote Hi-Hat Controller, DW-5002AD3 Double Bass Pedal, Roc N Soc Nitro Rider Throne, Homemade Drumstick Holder.

Comment

Sniff sniff.....it's such a happy day and sad too, when you watch your younglings grow up and learn so fast to walk then run on their own....

Keep us posted R_Z!

K ;-)
              My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
              E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
              A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
              A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Get a 2Box and a few WMD's. The later to blow up the Banjo Center for not carrying the former. (Kidding in poor taste -- sorry!!)
                My eKit: 2Box DrumIt Five

Comment

• hairmetal-81
                  hairmetal-81 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Evil! Evil!
                  Hehehehe....

Yes yes. Keep in mind, I have a small space so I need a nice set with a small footprint to fit in a corner of my studio. Is the 15K expandable? Or would a comparable Yammie like the 562K be better. I think the 2box may be out of my price range and . . . it's ORANGE!!!!!! Argh!

Comment

I would just like to ask again - about which kit-version of the TD-15 do we talk, price-wise?
                  If it's the TD-15 KV, then a 2box is very well within your price-range!

For comparison purposes: My local dealer has the 2box kit listed for about 2550 bucks, and the TD-15 KV for 2800 bucks, same with the (nice looking, but 'oh no') Pearl E-pro Live in #464 Quilted Maple.

Quite a price-battle, there.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by R_Z View Post
                    . . . it's ORANGE!!!!!! Argh!
                    heheheh....yep....my thoughts exactly...I have 2 modules and I covered them in chrome vinyl. That said...the sound quality far exceeds the aesthetics of these...and I have heard that he stock 2Box kits play very well...oh and now I believe they come with some TAMA hardware too. for that price point.
                    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                      I would just like to ask again - about which kit-version of the TD-15 do we talk, price-wise?
                      If it's the TD-15 KV, then a 2box is very well within your price-range!

For comparison purposes: My local dealer has the 2box kit listed for about 2550 bucks, and the TD-15 KV for 2800 bucks, same with the (nice looking, but 'oh no') Pearl E-pro Live in #464 Quilted Maple.

Quite a price-battle, there.

HTH
                      Oops my bad. I was thinking more along the 15K pricing. I have a friend who may be able to get me a deal on which ever set I choose. He has "connections". But at the end of the day, I want to keep it sub $2K, attempt to get a decent sounding kit that will fit my small space.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Z View Post

Oops my bad. I was thinking more along the 15K pricing. I have a friend who may be able to get me a deal on which ever set I choose. He has "connections". But at the end of the day, I want to keep it sub $2K, attempt to get a decent sounding kit that will fit my small space.
                        That's fine, then.
                        So, sub $2k is noted.

And straight to another question: I know shiny new things have alot of appeal, but how about buying used?

Comment

Yes I'd certainly look at used if the price and opportunity was right.

Comment

Okay!

I'll be honest: It's rather hard for me - I am not in the U.S. - to suggest particular used-offers, because I am not very familiar with your local used prices. So I normally shy away from pointing to a particular ebay-or-whatever offer, and go with more general suggestions.

BUT I tried and looked, through ebay.com and might found a set or two that could be a deal. Just be kind, take it with a grain of salt and bare with me!

Let's jump in - head-first in the hoopla, right? - Kits under $2000, and used!

Here is a TD-9K2, and it comes with a DW-3000 bassdrum pedal ($1400):
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-TD-9K...item3a8392ce19

This one appears to be a nice one:
                            a TD-12 kit, including a Roland PM-30 monitor, and a VH-11 hihat-pad on a PDP hihat-stand ($1530):
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-td-12...item2c767604a0

A hair above your budget, here is another TD-9, with an additional floor-tom and extra cymbal-pad, VH-11, headphones, and Gibraltar (!) pedals. (four toms, three cymbals, $2100)
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Roland-...item4acbb56206

If you give me a minute or two, I'll have a look, if I can find offers from Yamaha (and maybe even 2box)...

Comment

Working...
                            X