Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Greetings with questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings with questions!

Hi all,

New arrival to the drums, messed around a bit with my old bands years ago, and picked up a used TD-3 kit to learn the basics! I play bass and guitar (with less success), so I thought it best to stick to rhythm.

If anyone can advise me, the kit I have now is all PD-8 pads, and I want to upgrade one of them for a snare, will the PDX-8 allow rim shots? (I am assuming the td-3 is capable of picking them up?). Which is the best within that price range, I'm not sure I see any difference between that and the PD85BK?

Also, the pads are a bit faded, which isnt a problem in itself, but I wouldnt mind giving them a spitshine to get the black back (they are quite muddy brown at the moment). Any safe suggestions?

Many thanks, and looking forward to contributing!

1) WELCOME BROTHER!!!

2) 303 is the best stuff to use on vdrum "rubber" surfaces. DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL!!! Clean them with a damp clothe to get the dirt off then use the 303...you'll be amazed how nice they look afterwards. 303 won't leave that greasy film like Amror will, nor will it eventually harm them like Armor All will.

3) I "think" the td3 supports rim shots for the snare input only...can't say for sure. (Someone else will field this shortly I'm sure.)

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
      3) I "think" the td3 supports rim shots for the snare input only...can't say for sure. (Someone else will field this shortly I'm sure.)
      True.

A PD-85 is more popular than a PDX-8 if you can find one for not much more.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for that - on the pd-85; is there any difference between the BK and WT?

Thanks for the cleaning tips, I'm in Ireland have have no idea what 303 or armor are! Ill google and see if I can match some alternatives, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Also a warm welcome from The Netherlands! To answer your question: yes there is a difference, the BK is black and the WT is white!

Comment

Oh god.... More gems to follow no doubt!!

Black and white, I see Thanks for clearing that up, black would meet my needs perfectly, much moreso than white.

I'm usually a little sharper.....its a busy day in work

Comment

Originally posted by alfe View Post
              Thanks for the cleaning tips, I'm in Ireland have have no idea what 303 or armor are! Ill google and see if I can match some alternatives, thanks for the advice!
              303 Aerospace Protectant

Where to buy 303 products in Ireland

Bruce

Comment

Welcome to the forum Alfe. Enjoy the TD3 - Great little starter kit. BEWARE OF GAS!

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                  Welcome to the forum Alfe. Enjoy the TD3 - Great little starter kit. BEWARE OF GAS!
                  Thanks for the suggestions, got hold of some cleaner today, worked great!

If you could answer me one more question, I will be forever indebted -

Does the TD-3 support the tone changes you can get on a PD-85 by striking it in different places?

Also, before I expose my noob-hide to the wider forums, what is GAS?

Comment

The TD-3 doesn't support positional sensing like some of the higher end modules, but it does have settings for velocity curve which provide volume dynamics based on where you strike the pad, and how hard. Not usually a deal breaker for beginners or even intermediate drummers.

The TD-3 definitely supports rim shots and side-stick (cross-stick) but as evil1 suggests, only on the snare input.

G.A.S. = Gear Acquisiton Syndrome
                    I'm sure it afflicts all musicians and not just drummers...
                    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Nor for me, just curious. I'm still trying to get my head around all the new terms

Thanks, ill have a play with the velocity settings tomorrow

GAS eh? Had I only known there was a name for it... Maybe now I can get help!

Comment

Alfe,

greetings to another Irishman (well, if anything I claim to be Irish, don't know if they dispute my claim or not)from the foggy/frozen Inland Northwest.

I started with at TD-3 and ended up with a much bigger, better, expensive kit....the TD-3 is a great kit...I think I'm a more natural on the drums than things with strings.

I added a Pintech Dingbat first to get another trigger, then got mesh drums.I'm not sure if you can get Pintech stuff on the Emerald Isle or not. The rubber versus mesh is personal preference to a degree. I thought my upgraded TD-3 was a nice step up from what I started with.

my advice, sell it now, while you still have time, before the GAS really sets in....

Seriously, this is a great place to learn all about v-drums, we have members all over the world. You'll get lots of information and opinions from all of us.
                        Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Bruce,

Any idea where I can buy this magic stuff in Australia?
                          My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                            True.

A PD-85 is more popular than a PDX-8 if you can find one for not much more.

Bruce
                            Personally, I have 2 minor issues with PD-85:

1. I use a PD-85 as my floor tom. I keep on hitting the rim. I haven't tried PDX-8 extensively. But on the paper, it has 10" rim instead 8". I think it'll help.

2. Hotspot, Hotspot, Hotspot. (Google "hotspot site:vdrums.com" if you don't know what it is.) As far as I can tell from PDX-8's manual, PDX-8's sensor is off-centre, which should alleviate the problem.

Probably someone with actual experience can verify these?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the module is TD-10exp. I found I got no hotspot when using PD-85 and PD-125 on TD-6V.
                            Last edited by sciomako; 01-24-09, 05:21 AM.
                            My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                              Bruce,

Any idea where I can buy this magic stuff in Australia?
                              -Speak to SuperPuss!

I'f I recall she has sourced this down under (she's an Aussie too) and might be able to pass along a reliable source for you.

E
                              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X