Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Middle-aged New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle-aged New Guy

This is my obligatory first post. I'm yet another Rock Band victim. As a gateway drug, that game is horribly effective. Since May of '08, I've gone from never-played (but always appreciated) drums, to a basement full of drum-related gaming gear. I've been taking formal lessons since September, too. I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm not very good.

Anyway, my ION/Pearl/KD-8 controller is showing severe limitations as a practice tool, so I've been looking for tips on buying my first real kit (which will also be used as a game controller, of course). I'll probably end up hanging out on the Suggestions forum, at least for a while.

I'm happy to have found this place, and hope that someday I might actually be able to contribute something useful. No guarantees, though.

plenty of rock band beginners here, so welcome anyway! and good luck picking out a real kit...so we can break you of that bad habit, and turn you into a proper drummer....hee hee....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Cool. Good to see that a game is having such an effect on people. Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your time here.

Comment

I just purchased Wii Rock Band 2 for my children at Christmas...I won't play that thing but I will be playing a TD-9SX in a few days. YEAH! And it will be nice to have them both going simultaneously with no bother to either party.

Comment

It's nice to see somebody else who's getting into drums during middle age. That's when I got started.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
          TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
            It's nice to see somebody else who's getting into drums during middle age. That's when I got started.
            It's taken me a few years to admit that I *am* middle aged, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my late-developing interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Kafizz View Post
              I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm not very good.
              I think that phrase could be another contender for the official Vdrums.com motto.

Welcome to our little home on the Web! We're happy to have you joining us.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I'm having a lot of fun, even though I'm not very good.
                To steal a word from somebody else in here to describe exactly that:

Shambolic.

You'll get better, really. "Bad" is when you hear our bass player sit down behind my kit and play.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

yes, I was also over 40 when i first picked up a drum stick...better late than never...which is sort of a problem when I try to maintain a groove...
                  TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                  ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                  not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                    yes, I was also over 40 when i first picked up a drum stick...better late than never...which is sort of a problem when I try to maintain a groove...

Woo hoo! Middle-aged drumming farts unite!

This is actually quite cool. I used to think that every drummer, E or A, got their start in their teens. I'd swear there was a thread along these lines but I'd hafta UTFSE to find it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, I've read a number of posts from folks like me that just started playing again after 15 or 20 years.

I'm not very good either, but that's what day jobs are for

I can't remember if it was posted here and couldn't find it, but I saw a video of a guy that bought a TD20 set and hooked it up to Garage Band. He explained how he did it - pretty cool.

Cheers
                      TD-20S Expanded + SPD_S
                      Intel 6800 Dual Core on Asus P5E3 Deluxe -

Comment

It doesn't matter if you're in your early-mid 40s when you start. Sometimes people say "Gee, I'll be pushing 50 before I'm any good". Right. And if you don't start, in ten years you'll be completely incompetent at it!

I started when I was 8. I've been playing over 40 years and I'm still trying to improve and no doubt will be until I die.

Have fun with it!

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                          To steal a word from somebody else in here to describe exactly that:

Shambolic.

You'll get better, really. "Bad" is when you hear our bass player sit down behind my kit and play.
                          If Shambolic means zombielike, then I couldn't agree more! In fact, a zombie drummer would be much better - and probably much faster - than I am now. I *hope* that I still have the capacity to learn enough so that I might someday be able to honestly call myself 'a drummer'.

And you guys are at least giving me some hope. Thanks!

Comment

Add me to the "middle-aged drummers" list.

Started in my teens. Played for about 10 years. Joined The Army - quit.

Retired from The Army. Got a real job.

Started over at age 55.

Don't remember why I quit. Oh yeah, couldn't have a drum set in the barracks.

Better late than never. Don't remember it being this hard when I was younger.
                            David
                            TD-9KX stock kit with extra PD-85 & CY8

Comment

Working...
                            X