Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

New to Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfire
    replied
    Originally posted by mee View Post
    Hi to all. I been browsing this forum for a while now and atlast decide to sign up. I must admit I am a keyboard player with the Motif XS being my instrument of choice. I picked up an Alesis dm5 Pro Drum Kit not long ago, mainly just as a studio Midi trigger system, but seem to have become adicted to making electronic drum pads, why is building these things such good fun?
    I was wondering though why do people use the foam cone approach as the trigger, as opposed to just a wafer or block of foam, just wondering?
    Great forum.
    Mark
    Welcome to the Vdrums. If you have some drum samples on that Motif XS you could always use them with that DM5 Pro kit via MIDI. Since you are a keyboard player, when you go to get another keyboard or upgrade your keyboard (can one really upgrade from a Motif XS?), it's like upgrading your drums at the same time. Man, I love MIDI. Welcome aboard!

Leave a comment:

• stickinthemud
    replied
    Why is building these things such good fun?
    Because of the potential for immediate gratification. Glue a piezo disc to something, wire up a jack, plug it in, and there you have it - hundreds of percussion instruments at your beck and call! Also, when you are talking hundreds of dollars for a ready-made pad, it's especially gratifying to have a drum that works as well and looks much cooler for a fraction of the cost.

Leave a comment:

• KevH
    replied
    Welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• tomrbland
    replied
    I was wondering though why do people use the foam cone approach as the trigger, as opposed to just a wafer or block of foam, just wondering?
    Mark
    It stops "hot spots" on the skin. And is also more stable than a cylinder shape. But the topic is often debated and people have had good results with both.

why is building these things such good fun?
    Good question I suppose it goes back to we make some thing then break it just to see if we can fix it. The joy in making drums is that they are hard to break! So you get time to collect more G.A.S before you break the first thing you built

Tom

Welcome by the way
    Last edited by tomrbland; 12-30-08, 05:46 PM. Reason: added my welcome note :)

Leave a comment:

• mee
    started a topic New to Forum

New to Forum

Hi to all. I been browsing this forum for a while now and atlast decide to sign up. I must admit I am a keyboard player with the Motif XS being my instrument of choice. I picked up an Alesis dm5 Pro Drum Kit not long ago, mainly just as a studio Midi trigger system, but seem to have become adicted to making electronic drum pads, why is building these things such good fun?
    Great forum.
    Mark
Working...
X