Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

New here: Building an orchestra percussion set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here: Building an orchestra percussion set

Hi,

Im new here.

I have a home studio at home with:

Keyboards: Kawair K5000W and Roland JD800
    Synth rack: Quasimidi Quasar
    Sampler: Emu ESI4000
    Soundcard: Creamware Pulsar II
    PC with lots of VTSi and sounds
    Yamaha AW4416 mixer/recorder

and some other things like MOTU midi XT and Analog/Digital rack converter.

I want to build a digital persussion set bassically to play ochestral sounds. Maybe it will be enought with 4 pads (no too much space in my room) I was thinking about set them in the upper side of the keyboard stand, just to have them very accessible.

I want to know if any pad can be plug to any drum module.
    Also need some help building it. maybe an Octapad or similar will help me? Better to buy individual 8" (smaller?) pads and drum module? I will use my synths and computer for the sounds.

As you can see im a little lost.

Great web!

Cheers,

Mikel

I'll start.

Since your computer/synth setup will be the sound generator, you don't need much of a module since all you really need is a MIDI controller. Plug the pads into the controller, the controller into the pooter and presto!

This approach would mean purchasing a bare bones module and perhaps four PD-7 pads.

Heh heh, if it were that easy.

There are a number of "all in one" gizmos that also do the same thing. From what you're describing, Roland's SPD-S Sampling Pad might be the easiest solution:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPDS

As for cost, trying to get a cheapie module and 4 pads might cost less (you might be able to get the pads used on ebay for around $150 for 4). The module, again used, would cost, I dunno, at least $200. Now you're into the SPD-S ball park.

I'm sure there are other manufacturers who have the SPD-S equivalent. I'm sure somebody here would know.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Maybe the Alesis pads are cheaper? Are those good enought?
      The SPS seems a little expensive for chrismast present at Europe prices.

Comment

I'm guessing that anybody's stuff is cheaper than Roland. As to whether or not it's good enough, I can't comment cuz I don't have any experience with it.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Why not just use your kb? You should be able to access the GM soundset from your setup and that gives you most of the orchestral percussion plus kit sounds.

If you want a specific e-drum then an SPD-20 is designed to do exactly what you are after - cost is about the same as an SPD-S.

Comment

Originally posted by miketxo View Post
            Maybe the Alesis pads are cheaper? Are those good enought?
            The SPS seems a little expensive for chrismast present at Europe prices.
            You could use an Alesis Conrol Pad. http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ler?sku=449753
            or if you want to go with individual drum pads, you could go with the Alesis Trigger I/O.http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ace?sku=449754
            alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Herc:

How would he hook the pads (let's assume he gets 4 PD-7s) into the keyboard w/o something as an interface? Here's where my knowledge off all the other MIDI boxes or drum pad thingies is nil.

Comment

I would go with the Alesis Control Pad, hooked by standard midi to the keyboard... and fire the synth/pc orchestra sounds. You can even plug another two external pads to the "main" control pad.

Without the external pads, you would resolve the problem for 200 bucks!

- William

Comment

Hi Grog,

I was thinking more that he would use the k/b itself to trigger the sounds (each key assigned to whatever instrument he was after).

To use pads a trigger to midi converter is needed - maybe a cheap TD-3 module or something like that connected to the k/b and into the PC via MIDI-USB or real MIDI if the PC has it.

You probably know I'm a real fan of the SPD-20 so that's my pick of devices -inbuilt sounds and MIDI + 4 dual trigger inputs.

Comment

OK!

Thanks for yor help.
                    I think that i will go for the Alesis Controlpad.I dont need internal sounds: i have enought midi synths and sounds on my sampler and PC to get the sounds that i want. I supose that the pads are as good as the Roland ones. Isnt it?

Merry Chrismast

Comment

Working...
                    X