Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

What's this software called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this software called?

Hi guys,

So, I have a midi file. I want to load it up, mute the drums and play along with the midi track and have some visual representation of how accurate my timing is. Does any software which does this exist?

I'm aware of DTXMania but that doesn't load a simple midi file (afaik).

I did find an application called DrumMidi v1.98, which says it does this, but it just crashes with a non-specific error on my Windows XP PC :-/

Any ideas anyone?

Originally posted by gray View Post
    Hi guys,

So, I have a midi file. I want to load it up, mute the drums and play along with the midi track and have some visual representation of how accurate my timing is. Does any software which does this exist?

Any ideas anyone?
    Cubase, Reaper, Sonar etc etc....pretty much any decent sequencer package
    On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
    With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
    Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
    "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Thanks sox. A sequencer let's me play along after muting the drums, but can it give me some visual feedback of how accurate my timing is?

Comment

Thanks sox. A sequencer let's me play along after muting the drums, but can it give me some visual feedback of how accurate my timing is?
        Not in real time, but recording yourself via MIDI, you can check your timing afterwards
        On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
        With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
        Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
        "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Thanks sox, I suppose I can do that.

I was kinda hoping for software which was sort of in between the DTXMania "game" and music notation software. I would like to see a musical staff showing me the drums from a MIDI file, and have the notes I'm playing overlayed onto the notes on the staff in realtime, showing me where I'm missing notes, too slow, too fast, etc.

I guess I'm just dreaming up software that doesn't exist. :-)

Comment

Perhaps not. While I know very little about MIDI, one of the things a good MIDI program can do is quantize a performance, that is, make it conform to a certain level of rythmic accuracy. I'm thinking you could take an instrument line, copy it to an adjacent line, quantize one of the lines, and compare the two.

So, MIDI gurus, would that work?
            Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Yamaha's DTX line of modules has Groove Check that does this.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I am far from an expert here but would the module telling you the tempo you are playing help? The TD-20, and I assume other modules, can do that. I set it to trigger on the snare or HH and you can see in real time if you are speeding up etc... It does help keep you in time.

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm aware of DTXMania but that doesn't load a simple midi file (afaik).

I did find an application called DrumMidi v1.98, which says it does this, but it just crashes with a non-specific error on my Windows XP PC :-/

Any ideas anyone?
                  This will convert your midi file to DTX format and do pretty much what you want it to do.

http://www.gdamania.net/files/programs/smf2dtx.zip

It's in japanese, so just browse to the midi and hit the button that looks like it could be "Go".
                  Ion Drum Rocker (Medeli/OSP/Yoki/Alesis) and Yoki DD908 module
                  ---
                  Using Rock Band instruments on DTXMania (the Drummania/Guitar Freaks emulator):
                  http://www.angelfire.com/nm/neogeoin...ndtxmania.html
                  My DTXMania songs:
                  http://billkwando.blogspot.com/

Comment

Paladin or anyone,

Can you lead me to the function on the TD-20 that allows you to check your time accuracy?
                    Pearl SRX Custom Session set and Rogers jazz set with Zildjian and Sabian cymbals, DW Collector snare, Tama Kenny Aronoff Trackmaster snare, Zendrum, SPD-S, TD-20, Gibraltar frame for Roland and Pintech pads and Roland cymbals, TrapKat

Comment

Originally posted by coletones View Post
                      Paladin or anyone,

Can you lead me to the function on the TD-20 that allows you to check your time accuracy?
                      TEMPO, TAP (F3), set Tap Switch to ON, and Tap Pad to 2 SNARE (HEAD). Exit to the main TEMPO screen and that display will monitor your Beats Per Minute for quarter notes (halved if you're only playing snare on 2 and 4). It's only useful during really simple grooves.

Any time you want that display in the future just hit the TEMPO button and the tap function will already be set.

But you need to set Tap Switch back to OFF if you play along to patterns or their speed will change with yours.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks Billkwando for the MIDI to DTX converter tip. That may be just what I'm looking for, I look forward to trying it.

Comment

Thanks Billkwando for the MIDI to DTX converter tip. That may be just what I'm looking for, I look forward to trying it.
                          My pleasure.

If you want to add drum sounds to the midi (at least to see if it plays well with the song) see this thread: http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25155

I also recommend using GDA Creator, which is in the same folder that the zip came from (copypasta link).
                          Ion Drum Rocker (Medeli/OSP/Yoki/Alesis) and Yoki DD908 module
                          ---
                          Using Rock Band instruments on DTXMania (the Drummania/Guitar Freaks emulator):
                          http://www.angelfire.com/nm/neogeoin...ndtxmania.html
                          My DTXMania songs:
                          http://billkwando.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X