Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland Drums [model numbers?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Drums [model numbers?]

Could someone help me out and distinguishing all the e-drums that Roland makes? There's lots of models that I don't really know how they rate/rank.

How you would you rank from worst to best the newer and older models like:

HD-1
    TD-3
    TD-6
    TD-7
    TD-8
    TD-9
    TD-10
    TD-20
    etc....

and there's also sometimes 3sw, 6kx, 9sx, 9kx, 12kv

1=worst
    20=best
    but there worst are not that bad,just very limited.You get what you pay for.There pretty much as numbered.
    TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

ok first of all, the module (Brain) by itself is jut TDX, where X is a number. With a single letter after it, S in North America, K elsewhere, is the lower end of the kits, ie, less and or cheaper pads. KX, KV and other letter combinations are the higher end kit combinations, ie, more mesh pads, more cymbals etc.. North Americans use an S instead of a K....The 3, 9, 12 and 20 are the present modules, with the 9 being the newest...6, 10 and 8 are older modules...rankings are going to be subjective though....

if you search around you will find lots of threads comparing the 9 to the 12, the 10 to the 8, the 6 to itself, etc...5 and 7 are down right ancient....
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

welcome Ed,

saku is correct, if you look around you will find a lot of "this versus that module" or "what kit should I buy" threads that will answer your questions.

Pluto is right in that the higher number modules are "better". You usually get better drums/cymbals with the higher numbered kits. Often there is a rubber pad/mesh snare versus all mesh option with the factory kits. Pads/cymbals are largely, but not completely compatible with any module.

"Best" is what's best for you and your budget. It depends what you want out of your v-kit.

I bought a TD-3 almost 2 years ago. At that time it was Roland's lowest priced kit. It was the newest module. It had better stock sounds than the TD-6. It had limited tweakability and you couldn't bet v-expressions kit for it. (There's a whole other discussion)( Long timers can go back further in history for you than I can if need be)

Then Roland introduced the HD-1. It is smaller, cheaper, more limited than the TD-3. I think they were trying to get a kit/amp combination for $1000. I think they thought that ($1000) was an important "price point".

Since then ,the TD-6 has been phased out, replaced with the TD-9. The TD-9 has newer and better sounds than the TD-6. Roland's web site will go over all these features.

the most recent change is the release of an espansion board for the TD-20, the top of the line/flagship module that makes it even better.

Doing your research before you buy will save you $$ in the long run. Conventional wisdom is to get the best gear you can. Used is a good option, you can mix and match components from different manufacturers as well.

Good luck ! Hopefully you're getting the answers you need and will soon be sitting on the throne playing your v-drums.
        Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by pluto3 View Post
          1=worst
          20=best
          but there worst are not that bad,just very limited.You get what you pay for.There pretty much as numbered.
          wrong. I'd get a td-6 before a td-7 and a 3 before a 5.
          http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

wrong=phased out,good second hand kits though.
            TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

How you would you rank from worst to best the newer and older models
              Originally posted by pluto3 View Post
              1=worst
              20=best
              There pretty much as numbered.
              within the same generation of drums they are as numbered, yes. though the td-6, even if the number is smaller, is better than the td-7. same goes for the td-3 which has better sounds and a more recent module than the td-5 and the td-7. the td-8 and td-9 are pretty similar though I would get a td-9 since it's newer.
              http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X