Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly transitioning to e-kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly transitioning to e-kit

Welcome Pyns!

It's nice to see another Pintech fan here ! I started adding a Dingbat to my TD-3, was infected with GAS and did a major upgrade.

I got most of my gear from Brian also. I went with the TD-12...I just couldn' t justify spending anymore $$. The family chief financial officer was very supportive of my musical delusions.

What Pintech stuff did you go with?

This is a great place to get a lot of information/opinions.
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
      What Pintech stuff did you go with?

This is a great place to get a lot of information/opinions.
      Here is the basic stuff:
      5-10" mesh toms
      1-10" snare
      2-14" chokable crashes
      1-10" single zone splash
      1-16" dual zone ride w/bell and bow triggers
      1-10" single zone hihat
      1-Gig Hihat control pedal
      10" upright mesh kick

I will likely add the td-20 expansion board, but am currently more interested in a sampling input.

Comment

I never really played acoustic drums so i didn't have to make the transition. I wish I had figured out I had more natural talent for drums than guitars long ago. I'd have saved a lot of money on guitars and might be pretty good by now on the drums.

It sounds like you'll have quite the set-up. You'll have to chime in an tell us how you like it when you get it all up and going. Maybe you can become the next Pintech "spokesmodel"

I went with a slightly larger snare and also one tom. With a full sized kit, it feels more like a regular kit. The TD-3 was a little small.

I also wanted the more acoustic like two cymbal hi-hat. The biggest difference is the ride. The small cymbal and foot pedal wasn't all that bad.

You'll really like your set up. The TD-20 is the flagship module and the Pintech gear isn't too shabby either.
        Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
          I never really played acoustic drums so i didn't have to make the transition. I wish I had figured out I had more natural talent for drums than guitars long ago. I'd have saved a lot of money on guitars and might be pretty good by now on the drums.

It sounds like you'll have quite the set-up. You'll have to chime in an tell us how you like it when you get it all up and going. Maybe you can become the next Pintech "spokesmodel"

I went with a slightly larger snare and also one tom. With a full sized kit, it feels more like a regular kit. The TD-3 was a little small.

I also wanted the more acoustic like two cymbal hi-hat. The biggest difference is the ride. The small cymbal and foot pedal wasn't all that bad.

You'll really like your set up. The TD-20 is the flagship module and the Pintech gear isn't too shabby either.
          Yeah, I been around the drums for a couple decades or so. I looked at the puchase from a cost-per-value basis. The pintech have a very similar construction to roland. From what I have seen, there are no differences so significant that I'd want to spend $3k more on all-roland pads.

That being said, if there are any downsides (long term) I will be honest and forthcoming. I have been around too long to glaze over faults with gear. I have tried pintech pads (as I stated) and there was no significant difference in response or feel.

I may eventually upgrade the hat setup, but as long as it works, it may not be worth it just to say I have the top line setup.

I didn't look for any different sized pads. I mulled over 8" pads to save space, but I feel more flexible with a 10" playing surface. I don't need anything larger.

The good part is, the whole thing will fit into a very small car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyns View Post
            The good part is, the whole thing will fit into a very small car.
            I started jammin' to the Stones, Lovin' Spoonful, BEaTLES, and a slew of others as their new pop records emerged on the radio and in record stores. My Mom was a music junkie - still is - so we had all the cool albums. I was in diapers through 6-ish. My instrument was Mom's pots-n-pans and wooden spoons. Cool. Then first grade music class. Remember the bongos, triangle, wood blocks, and sand blocks? That was me baby all the way - yeah man. We grooved on songs like Sloop John B.

Then every kid's dream life began. My best friend's Dad in first grade was a rock musician. Too cool. We went to a few public gigs. I remember long hair, cowboy boots, torn jeans, it was 1970. I was hooked! I would sleep over - in the mornings I would wake up on the living room and watch the lead guitarist sit quietly practicing scales on an e-guitar with no amp.

I started playing guitar. Bass. It sucked. My fingers were too small. I learned Smoke on the Water. Went back to thinking about drums. Got my first kit and that was that. I picked up the guitar and bass during rest sessions when rehearsing with bands I played in over the years. I also picked up synth. Now I play bass lines with the synth, add a drum track, and start building. I need a new guitar.

About eKits and acoustic kits. That's it for me now. I am in town now and built a home studio. E-Drums are much more neighbor friendly at the moment. I used to put a double bass kit in a Honda Civic - It freakin' fit! No room for a chick though. Now - my eKit is such a monster gigging is a nightmare. Dragging cables, brains, stuff, stuff, stuff.... Ah.... I don't know man. The TD 20 kit looks like it might solve that problem.

Life story. Four paragraphs. Not f'ing bad man! LMAO!

Odisey

Comment

2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

WELCOME Pyns !! Sounds like a killer rig you are putting together ! Pics ASAP !
                Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

Pyns,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your decision-making process with us.

I notice you mentioned the desire for sampling capabilities. I had the same problem, as there are sound the TD20 either doesn't have or doesn't really do well (chimes, for one). On the advice of a forum member here, I checked out the Roland SP404. Iwas designed for the DJ market, but it suited my purposes just fine. I needed something inexpensive and portable, with the ability to import sounds easily. The SP404 was all of these things, and it has an on-board mic (decent quality at that), and can be operated on battery power, so getting samples in the field is easy.

More specs at:
                  http://www.digitechstop.com/index.ph...ducts_id=10072

Now, it's not the right tool for running a whole kit's worth of sounds, or for a ride cymbal since it has only 12-voice polyphony, but for the odd SFX or other sound you simply can't get from the module, it's great.

The most popular (but more expensive) option for sampling is the SPD-S. It's made specifically for drumming, with 6 strikable pads. Same caveat for this one as for the SP404, since it has only 8-voice polyphony.

Do post pics. We all love to see pics...

Comment

Working...
                  X