Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-12 with M-Audio Delta 44 and Cubase Studio 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-12 with M-Audio Delta 44 and Cubase Studio 4

Do some searching in here. I've done a ton of work with the exp TD10 and Cubase and the Delta 44 card.

Some short answers in the meantime:

Don't confuse MIDI with recording audio out of the TD12. In order to use MIDI, you would need a VSTi plugin for Cubase such as EZDrummer, BFD, etc. Then you would use a MIDI connection from the TD12 to the pooter. But that's an entirely different situation than the one you're attempting.

Yes, you can record each instrument on seperate tracks in Cubase (again, search in here--I *think* I've described how to do this in terms of the nuts and bolts of setting up Cubase).

How many outputs are there on the TD12? Obviously you'll have a master out L and R. You can assign each of those a single instrument from the kit using the menus on the TD12. In this case, you'll want to pan said instrument all the way L or R depending on which output you assign to it.

If you have other outputs, do the same thing. With the Delta 44, obviously you can have 4 drum instruments feeding into the computer at once. Here's an example of how you'd start:

Kick: Assigned to Master Output L, panned all the way left
    Snare: Assigned to Master Output R, panned all the way right
    HH: Assigned to Output 1 L, panned all the way left
    Ride: Assigned to Output 1 R, panned all the way right

Plug each of those outputs from the TD12 into the 4 inputs on the Delta 44.

In Cubase, create an audio track (the Cubase help files are some of the best written help files I've seen, spend some time with them, they're you're friends). Assuming you've setup the Delta 44 card and Cubase correctly (a whole different project which, again, I think I've outlined before in here), if you click on the Channel (I think, I'm doing this from memory) over on the left, you'll be given a choice of inputs to choose from corresponding to the 4 inputs from the Delta 44 card. Pick one.

Start banging on the pad you've setup as described above. If you don't get a signal, remember to hit the recording monitor button (I think that's what it's called--again, this is basic Cubase stuff). If you've setup everything correctly, presto, you can now record the audio signal from the TD12 in Cubase.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

PS: If you have any other questions, you should ask them in the In The Studio section of this message board.
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

midi would do it but you'd have to use a sample library.
      one great thing about the td-12 is that you get 2 direct outputs where you can choose which inputs goes out to what direct out.
      moreover, the td-20 has 8 inputs, which will let you do:
      1st hi hat
      2nd snare
      3rd bass drum
      4th high toms
      5th low toms
      6th ride
      7th crashes
      8th effect cymbals
      http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

thank a lot for your reports.
        so i have 4 outputs (2 direct outs and the master ones) which i can manage to send in each case one instrument to one input of my soundcard. is that right?

with midi i have to do it via ezdrums or something like that, right? which sampler could you recommend for that?

which method is the best for my purpose? midi or audio?

Comment

You don't have to use an external sampler such as ezdrummer if you record via midi. You can play back the midi track into the TD12 and then use the outputs in the configuration sugested by Grog previously to record the drums to audio on Cubase.

Comment

I would start out recording from your 4 outs from the TD12. Connect each of them to the inputs on the Delta 44, assign a drum instrument to each one as I described (in general) above, then setup 4 audio tracks in Cubase.

Having done both (straight audio from a module and MIDI with a VSTi plugin), I think it's much easier to start with straight audio. MIDI takes a bit more setup and configuration. Going from the TD12 to the Delta 44 is pretty straight forward and will give you some experience working in Cubase. Once you've got that down, you may or may not want the sounds provided in things like EZD and BFD.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Comment

MIDI is certainly easier to handle in some ways. Obviously you can "move around" the notes (or hits) in order to line things up. But you can also simply rerecord audio parts (easily) in Cubase so it's pretty much a wash there.

And time stretching drum stuff? Sure, I've done that in Cubase but not with drums.

It sounds like you'd prefer to setup MIDI. Search in here on how to do that.

Comment

Working...
                X