Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a bit of a problem here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a bit of a problem here...

I bought a TD 12 about 26 days ago from Sam Ash.

My neighbor complained about my drumset causing the apartment to vibrate too much and I got threats from the landlord of being forced out of the apartment if I continued.

I tried putting a lot of foam under the drums but it didn't help and they still heard the sticks beating on the mesh.

My only option now is to return it, but I was told there could be a 15% restocking fee. (which is 450 dollars for this drumset)

I still have all the boxes, warranty papers, receipts, baggies that the Vdrums came with so I am hoping I could avoid the fee if I tell them I'll package it exactly the same way it came to me with. But for some reason something tells me no matter how well I package it they are going to charge me.

I really liked this drumset and it really sucks I can't play in my apartment. I want to try other sound proofing solutions but I do not have time because my 30 days are almost up.

Anyone got any ideas? How much do you think I could sell it for? Anyways to avoid the restocking fee?

I got the whole set without pedal, HH stand for 2800. Defintiely willing to sell for a bit less. Its in perfect condition, asides from a slightly darker area where the kicker hits the base drum.

Use the search and look for the tennis ball platform.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

The tennis ball platform is a good idea. And NEVER buy from a company with a restocking fee.
      sigpic

Comment

That's a sad story Chris.

Have you considered moving to another place where you don't have such pedantic neighbours?

Have you considered a retaliatory complaint about their....barking dog?....loud car?.....domestic arguments?.......a mutual agreement about some privilege they don't want to lose may resolve this...

If you do move I suggest getting an acoustic kit for the last couple of weeks to really rub it in.

And yes, I am nasty :-(

Hope it works out for you

Comment

Chris,

as your story proves, V-drums aren't silent....

Some apartments are poorly sound insulated...one place we lived if the guy upstairs was taking a leak you could hear it. You can imagine how we enjoyed his 7 foot Marshall stack...people BELOW us moved out because the people above us were so loud.

A couple other thoughts...is there a time you can work out with your neighbor to play your drums? A better place in your apartment to play them? Sometimes you neighbors CAN be reasonable. have you tried talking to them?

Try a lighter touch, you don't have to pound on the v-drums....there are different bass drum triggers that might be less "boomy"....

How long do you have on your lease? If it isn't long, you might just have to pack them up to avoid the restocking fee....$450 isn't chump change

Maybe you can move the drums to someone else's house/apartment for a bit, move when your lease is up.

The tennis ball platform might be a solution..

There must be some material that would dampen the vibrations from the drums. It's surprising no one has stumbled onto it. It seems a common enough problem that somebody might look into it with some packaging lab vibration instrumentation. They vibration test products and there are foams that attenuate certain frequencies...

Good luck!

I hope you can figure things out.

The restocking fee is a bummer...I did take a guitar amp back to the GC once, no problem at all.
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Make a drum riser using tennis balls sitting between two sheets of plywood.

Comment

Originally posted by chris4355 View Post
              ...but it didn't help and they still heard the sticks beating on the mesh.
              If they are hearing the sticks hitting the mesh, a tennis ball riser will not help. It appears that it is not just vibration, but sound that you need to dampen. The only way to soundproof the room is with "mass". Large furniture, large objects, partitions, etc. The more large heavy stuff between your kit and the walls, the better. Don't bother with the foam egg crate stuff on the walls, that is for making the room sound better, not sound-proof.
              Good luck.

Comment

I found that when I was playing my living room, which opened onto the single door to the stairwell, the entire stairwell resonated from the stick hits..(a Finnish flat would have had a double insulating door...bloody swedish secondhand craftmanship grumble)--- by moving the kit into the bedrooms and shutting the bedroom door - and by hanging thick blankets on the door, we eliminated much of the stick sound...

downstair neighbour was still annoyed by the kick thump, no matter how many carpets I put underneath it, so eventually, it was easier just to move...
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

thanks for the support, I looked up the tennis ball platform - good idea!

so I decided I'm gonna move the drumset to the living room (which is on top of their living room) so they don't hear the sticks in their room, i'll make the platform there, and play within reasonable hours. My neighbors agreed and actually encouraged me to do it.

I just hope this platform works as good as some of you claim it does =)

thanks for the support!

I played on my acoustic drumset the other day and realized I really liked the versatility in electric drumsets more - I don't think I could return or sell this thing, let alone quit playing drums ><

Comment

Glad you could work something out! Most folks are pretty reasonable.

Be careful, these v-drum thing are addicting! Any day when I can't play them for even a little while, it feels like something is missing big time.
                    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Am I right saying that the rack could be a cause of the problem?
                      Metal rack with small rubber "socks" if I can call them that way...
                      would a plastic rack such as the mds-3 help this person out?

thanks

- someone who might need a new rack with his new set
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SANY0907.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gostviper View Post
                        Am I right saying that the rack could be a cause of the problem?
                        Metal rack with small rubber "socks" if I can call them that way...
                        would a plastic rack such as the mds-3 help this person out?

thanks

- someone who might need a new rack with his new set
                        The plastic is still rigid, so I think it would still transmit the vibrations. Besides, putting a TD12s on a plastic rack would be like pouring brandy in a Dixie cup.

Chris,

Kudos on the "Let us Reason Together" approach. Be sure to bake your neighbors some cookies or something.

Comment

Different materials will resonate or attenuate at certain frequencies. with the correct instrumentation you could find the frequencies that are transmitted when the beater strikes the kick drum or strike a pad or cymbal. You would then find a material that attenuated at the frequencies that you want to block. Whether that ended up a certain type of foam, rubber mounts (like engine mounts), some other sort of dampening system (springs), some sort of active, noise cancelling system ( out of phase wave generation to cancel out the offending frequencies).....
                          Michael

Comment

stickinthemud,

lol I'll make sure to make some. haha

Picksorsticks,

I see what you are saying, but unless you are looking for a DIY solution I highly doubt Roland is going to invest in putting rubbers or springs between the racks to cancel vibrations.

They dont even really market electronic kits as soundproof kits. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't even the manual say that we should not expect this drumkit to reduce noise?

Comment

Originally posted by chris4355 View Post
                              thanks for the support, I looked up the tennis ball platform - good idea!

so I decided I'm gonna move the drumset to the living room (which is on top of their living room) so they don't hear the sticks in their room, i'll make the platform there, and play within reasonable hours. My neighbors agreed and actually encouraged me to do it.

I just hope this platform works as good as some of you claim it does =)

thanks for the support!

I played on my acoustic drumset the other day and realized I really liked the versatility in electric drumsets more - I don't think I could return or sell this thing, let alone quit playing drums ><
                              Good for you bro !!!! NEVER EVER QUIT playing drums !!!! Drumming
                              is good for the soul my friend !!! All the best, Eric G.
                              Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

Working...
                              X