Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my first kit, issues with pedals and mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first kit, issues with pedals and mat

Hi guys!

Last week I finally got my first kit TD-3KW. I couldn't set it up right away because of work duties and a trip out of town (i just hooked up several pad and TD-3 module to check it was working)... Only yesterday I finally managed to install all the Toms and Crash/Ride!!!

I love it, but I am having a hard time with pedals.
    I was suggested (to stay in the budget) a double pedal from WorldMax P2002TW. Looks sturdy and well made. Only thing, it comes with no manual/instruction leaflet whatsoever... I know I am a newbie, but I dunno how to setup the right beater rebound/position. Sometimes the beater hits fainter a second time, even if I press the pedal all the way down.
    Who can suggest me how to solve this?

Also having the common FD-8 HiHat issue. Think I'll open it up and try the DIY modification, cause the 'wash' (hit open then close) on HiHat that I learned on acoustic cymbals is hard to play on this kit.

Setup is still standard, but I'll post a picture soon. Anybody has good suggestions for the carpet/mat to use? In my room I have wood flooring.
    Last edited by C-kun; 09-14-08, 03:19 PM. Reason: forgot to put icons/signs

This should help (Copied from www.bassdrumsystem.com)

The first thing you want to set up is the pedal angles. This is the height of each pedal towards the ground. On a double pedal, you want to make sure that heights are even. Every pedal can adjust the pedal height, so make sure your left foot is at the same angle as your right. Having uneven heights will result in a total different feel for your feet. This can usually be adjusted with a simple turn of a drum key.

The next adjustment you want to make is the beater height. First off, you want to make sure that the beater of your bass pedal is hitting right in the center of your bass drum. This will give you the best sound out of your drum. A lot of drummers will ignore this, and have the bass beater set too low, resulting in a restrained bass drum sound. Once you have the perfect height set, make sure both beaters are the same height. This is an obvious one, since different heights will result in different sounds. This is an easy one to adjust guys!

Now that you have that done, you are almost done the easy settings. Place both pedals where you feel comfortable the most. With the double bass pedal, you can adjust the distance between both pedals. Do not settle for what is already set; take the time to place them at a distance that is comfortable to you. Most double bass drum pedals can adjust pretty far apart, so you should have no problem with placement. Generally, you want to have them set up right beside your hi hat pedal, so you can switch back and forth with ease.

The last setting is the hardest to do – the spring tension. This is tough because it is a personal setting. You really have to work on this yourself, loosen and tighten you’re the spring tension so you get the best feel out of your bass pedal. Having a very tight spring will mean you have to work extra hard to get a stroke, while having too lose a spring will give you no bounce at all. Once you have one spring adjusted to the right tension, try your best to get the other slave pedal spring to match it. The best way to do this is by grabbing both beaters with one hand, pulling them back the same distance, and letting them both go at the same time. Watch to see how they respond. In the end, you want each beater to spring back and forth simultaneously.

Welcome to the wonderful world of e-drumming!

Comment

Yea everything that Blast says plus when you sit normally with both feet on the pedals, the beaters should be the same distance from the head, ie 3" to 4".

Comment

Originally posted by C-kun View Post
        Hi guys!
        Sometimes the beater hits fainter a second time, even if I press the pedal all the way down.
        Who can suggest me how to solve this?
        If you are getting a double hit when you use the pedal, it's not the pedal, but your technique. Most likely you are "burying the beater" meaning you are hitting it so that the beater cannot rebound. While not imperative,(many players bury the beater) it is preferable to let the beater come off the head when it is hit, so that you do not get a double.
        The settings in the module can be changed to ignore the second hit if you are still having problems with it. It is called "mask time", and you should increase it for the kick drum trigger only high enough until the double hit no longer is triggered. Be careful to not go too high, or it will ignore hits that you DO want triggered.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

I have been trying different spring tensions and pedal angles. Probably I will manage to get the most suitable setting fine tuned as I learn and do more exercise...

I am surprised about WorldMax. Not much info about them around websites. I was afraid I did a bad buy at the beginning, but seems they are sturdy enough and pretty stable with a solid large base plate and no wiggly mechanic parts. Time will tell how they pass the crash test of frequent beginner use!

About the mat: I found a cel-PVC safe mat sold in meters at a convenience store, bought 2 meters, cut it and put two layers under the stand and pedals. Everything stays in place, less vibration to the floor. Pictures of the set coming soon...

*one note about TD-3 factory setting: Pad Sensitivity was set so low it was impossible to trigger heavier/fatter sounds and cross-stick!!!

Comment

Good advice blast!

Comment

Working...
            X