Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi - new to drums and vdrums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi - new to drums and vdrums!

hi,

I was fortunate to purchase a used TD-12 kit today for an awesome discount. It was way more than I wanted to spend (I was originally looking for $400-800 for used entry-level Roland ones), but I could turn around and resell it on eBay for a small profit at least if it didn't work out

I'm a drum beginner (~100 hours of practice over the past few months), but have been playing guitar pretty seriously since I was six, and have been fortunate to be surrounded by and have worked with some pretty good drummers and have a decent feel for syncopation, polyrhythm, reading complex rhythms, etc. (just not with more than my two hands yet!). I'm one of those people who make fun of drummers with electronic kits (and probably won't stop), but I see the virtue in having one stored away secretly in the closet that you don't admit to having.

I jumped in the electronic drum boat after realizing that I'd be able to get a lot more time in when it is in my room and can play whenever I want instead of having to make a trip down to my band's practice space and stare at the ugly rat infested environs. I kind of want it to simulate the feel of an acoustic kit as much as possible. It's a shame Roland doesn't make a cheaper kit with the "real" hihats, large mesh snare and mesh kick drum sensor (like the TD-12 or TD-20 versions), because that's all I really care about... the rest can be cheap parts.

So, my questions

I've had some trouble trying to get the Roland kit to be more spread out, without buying new mounts... all the ones I've ever seen set up (in Guitar Center, the guy I bought it from, and, no offense, some pictures on this board) have no similarity to any real kit I've seen, with everything bunched in together and being really awkward to play. My arms and legs are pretty long, but I think I've moved the pieces around to approximate the way my friend's kit is set up (one rack tom further away from and angled towards the snare, one floor tom, two crashes, horizontal ride over the right side of the kick drum, all toms and cymbals out at near arm's radius, this latter part being the killer). Has anyone else had issues in this department as well, or pictures or suggestions on what they've done?

I'm also trying to find a kit setting that sounds pretty acoustic-natural... in between a rock and jazz kit. Most of the settings to my ears seem to be over the top versions of 90s nu metal rock kits or Def Leppard with a jazzy tom-sounding kick drum. I've also noticed that these stock settings (and maybe electronic sets in general?) tend to flatter one's drumming skills, which I want to avoid. Any advice here on settings or patches that are useful?

Welcome Foo,

I started with a TD-3 and have moved up to a TD-12. You'll be very happy with the TD-12. While the lower numbered kits are nice, the higher numbered kits are nicer. You have saved yourself the upgrade by starting with the TD-12.

You can change the hi-hat, snare and kick drum. You can also get a bigger rack.

I went with the Gibraltar rack. It was about $300. It has a curved front and a couple of curved wings. This will give you MUCH more room and be much more like an a-kit.

I bought a larger mesh snare (toms too, then kick). I needed a snare stand as the increased weight/torque caused it to spin on the rack. I was afraid of breaking the TD-3 rack's clamps. The 12" snare is very nice.

I went with the 8" mesh kick. BIgger isn't better although there are those that prefer the KD8. It's an individual preference.

You can get two piece hi-hats from Roland, Pintech, Hart and other manufacturers. The little Roland CY5 cymbal/FD8 foot pedal weren't that bad. The new cymbal is more realistic.

To get a better "sound", the consensus is to get some of the V-Expressions kits. I'll be doing that soon too myself. That should get you the sound you want. The other upgrades should get you the "feel".

Another thing, I never was crazy about the CY8 as a ride on the TD-3 and upgraded it significantly.

If you want to see pictures, send me a PM with your e-mail address. For some reason I can't get photos to go to this ( or other ) forums. Maybe it's some sort of Mac thing.

Welcome to the group, you'll get good answers/opinions from the group. You'll be very happy with the TD-12.
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by foo4000 View Post
      I'm one of those people who make fun of drummers with electronic kits (and probably won't stop)
      Well, that's one hell of a way to introduce yourself on a Web site full of electronic percussionists. You're obviously trying very hard to win friends and influence people.

I'm a drum beginner (~100 hours of practice over the past few months)
      all the ones I've ever seen set up (in Guitar Center, the guy I bought it from, and, no offense, some pictures on this board) have no similarity to any real kit I've seen, with everything bunched in together and being really awkward to play.
      I've also noticed that these stock settings (and maybe electronic sets in general?) tend to flatter one's drumming skills
      OK. Well, I'm glad we have someone joining us with a whopping 100 hours of drumming experience to let us know we're all setting our drum kits up wrong and that our electronics are to make us sound like better drummers than we actually are.

Congratulations, you've made quite a first impression.
      >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
        Well, that's one hell of a way to introduce yourself on a Web site full of electronic percussionists. You're obviously trying very hard to win friends and influence people.
        I ignored this for that very reason.

Anyway, shouldn't you be getting back to your poxy cramped little toy kit V(ader)? I bet it looks rubbish in photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Blastbeats View Post
          Anyway, shouldn't you be getting back to your poxy cramped little toy kit V(ader)?
          Nawww. Remember, these electronic kits play themselves. There's really no need for us to practice.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
            Nawww. Remember, these electronic kits play themselves. There's really no need for us to practice.
            I personally drum with sticks of celery while wearing those tennis racket style snow-shoes to counter the way my V-Drums "tend to flatter one's drumming skills".

Comment

Now I am confused to what is causing my bad playing: the cramped kit, or the electronics making me sound better than I am...

What am I to do?
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Nice to see we are a tolerant forum ... perhaps he has arrived here for some 'education' on electronic drums (whatever you do don't say ELECTRIC DRUMS, otherwise SDG will pounce with his ELECTRIC DRUMS picture... let's see if he really is omnipotent and spots this one )

Welcome, ehh.... what was your name... hold on 'till I scroll down....foo400... your education begins, glasshoppa.

Comment

Working...
                X