Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Electronic Drumming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Electronic Drumming

Hey everyone, I'm Steve. I've been dabbling with music for the past few years and am interested in getting an electronic drum set to record and mess around with. I am by no means a professional drummer. I have been researching the drums for the past few days and have narrowed myself down to a few kits, but still would appreciate some help in understanding more.

I've only sat down in front of an electronic drum set once. It was a Roland TD-20.....needless to say I didn't want to get up. I'm very familiar with how an acoustic drum set works, performs and can sound. Now unfortunately, I cannot afford the TD-20. In fact, I can't even afford the TD-9.

I'm trying to get a nice kit for under $1000. My immediate goal is to get something expandable. I understand I can't afford a super nice kit, but would like to grow with time. My main concern is having a kit that is as functional as a real set. Let me be more specific, I'd like a brain that is capable of being as functional as a real set. I understand I may need to upgrade my pads over time.

Would it make more sense to piece a set together, or to buy a set and then upgrade? I've been looking at the Alesis DM5 Pro kit for $599 because it already has all mesh pads, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints that the hihat doesn't function as nicely as it could and that the cymbals don't choke. I've also seen the Yamaha DTXpress IV for $999 and the Roland TD-3SW for $995.

Can anybody offer some suggestions?

I've said most of this before, so apologies to those who have seen it prevoiusly:

In a nutshell - Roland, Hart Dynamics and Yamaha all make excellent entry-level e-drum kits. Stay away from the cheaper brands you might find at big box retailers. They are more in the "toy" category and won't tolerate much abuse. The big three I just mentioned will stand up to a ton of punishment.

If you are a veteran of acoustic drums, you'll likely want to do what you can to eventually get all mesh pads. They're just kinder to your wrists. However, if the budget dictates that you stick with mostly rubber pads, you'll be fine for a while until you're able to upgrade. However, most folks agree that you should at least try to get a mesh pad to act as your snare.

E-drums are very much a "you get what you pay for" kind of item. Buy as much as your budget will allow, particularly when it comes to the module. You can always sell it off later to finance the purchase of bigger and better gear. Note that you will generally pay more if you try piecing together a new kit one part at a time, as opposed to buying a complete kit new.

Keep a close eye on eBay and Craigslist for good deals on used gear. If you're patient and do your homework, you'd be surprised at what you can find. Your dollar will go a lot further with second-hand sources than it will at Guitar Center. You also might consider converting a cheap acoustic kit into an e-kit. See the DIY section for more information on that. You can save a chunk of change doing that.

For a quick breakdown on the differences between modules, check this link (note, the new TD-9 is not represented here):

http://www.hartdynamics.com/modules/index.html

Best of luck.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

We're gonna have to make a youtube video for this or something.

Vader's right, but I would add one other thing that keeps having to get repeated (besides use the search engine) and that's if you buy pieces you'll pay more than if you buy a relatively complete kit.

When using the search engine, Steve, just use the same terms you used in making your post. You will come up with all sorts of advice, but that's just what it is, advice. You are the one that is going to have to live (play) with your decision. Do lots of research, starting with this site.

When you do get a kit, pull up a throne and plug in right over there.

Welcome to the nut house. As long as you're not a squirrel.

Shalom
      Bruce

Comment

Welcome aboard.
        Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

welcome here! e-drums rock...and sometime jazz and country and hiphop and ethnic and whatever....
          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Working...
            X