Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, all. Greetings from Maryland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, all. Greetings from Maryland!

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Bob, and I've been drumming off and on since I was 14 (some 30 years ago), but not seriously for the last decade or so.

For various reasons, I've decided to take up drumming again as a hobby. I had resolved to buy a new acoustic set, but couldn't get around the noise issues. There's just no way to practice on acoustics when my wife or kids are home. I was thinking about remodeling my downstairs office/man-cave, but that would have included some fairly expensive soundproofing and other changes that were too painful to contemplate.

I had purchased Thomas Lang's second DVD a year or so ago, and after watching it again recently, was quite impressed with what he could do on his Roland kit. That led me to the Roland website, and from there, I did some additional research that led me to this forum. I've been reading every day for the last couple of months as a non-member in order to learn more about the capabilities of e-drums and e-drumming in general. A bit of fooling around on a TD-20K at a local Guitar Center convinced me that e-drums were going to be the best fit for my needs.

I must say I'm very impressed with what many members here have been able to do with their setups; I'm also amazed at the incredible amount of DIY that goes on here. You just don't see that on any of the other forums I follow (e.g., cyclingforum.com and avsforum.com).

I've ordered a TD-20 module from Tyler at RMC (great guy BTW, easy to talk to, and quite knowledgeable) and will be ordering the rest of my kit over the next few days. Hopefully everything will arrive and be put together by the end of the month (fingers crossed).

I've already got some questions that I'll be posting in the Technical forum. Hopefully they won't be too elementary.

--Bob

Welcome aboard! What else are you planning to order to go along with that TD-20 module? Are you going to do a DIY?
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
      Welcome aboard! What else are you planning to order to go along with that TD-20 module? Are you going to do a DIY?
      Hi Vader, thanks. I'm a DIY kind of guy and like building things with my hands, but I just don't have the time to do a DIY right now. Some day I'd very much like to build my own A-E kit along the same lines as what J-Man or Chris Jude have done, but for now, I need to spend my extra time practicing rather than crafting.

As to the rest of my kit, I currently plan to purchase Hart Pro pads (snare, 2 kicks, 4-6 toms; kicks and toms in black), Roland hi-hat and cymbals (VH-12, CY-15R, and 2 or 3 CY-14Cs), Gibraltar rack and hardware, Pearl pedals, and a new throne (probably a Gibraltar or Roc-n-Soc).

--Bob

Comment

Nice! Sounds like a great plan. Please post some pics of your kit once you've bought it and got it set up. I'd especially like to see the black Hart toms and get your thoughts on them. Most folks tend to get the hammered chrome, and I don't recall seeing anyone here using those in black.

If and when I get to upgrade my kit again, I've considered going with the black Hart toms and triggering a black acoustic kick beneath them.
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I love those guys at RMC. But I can't stand those Thomas Lang DVDs. He makes it looks so effortless and when I go to do it, it sounds terrible! I blame the DVD.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
            I love those guys at RMC. But I can't stand those Thomas Lang DVDs. He makes it looks so effortless and when I go to do it, it sounds terrible! I blame the DVD.
            how dare you blame the dvd!! it the dvd player.
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
              how dare you blame the dvd!! it the dvd player.
              I stand corrected, but I knew it was something. Darn that Samsung.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tetra-Pro View Post
                Hi Vader, thanks. I'm a DIY kind of guy and like building things with my hands, but I just don't have the time to do a DIY right now. Some day I'd very much like to build my own A-E kit along the same lines as what J-Man or Chris Jude have done, but for now, I need to spend my extra time practicing rather than crafting.

As to the rest of my kit, I currently plan to purchase Hart Pro pads (snare, 2 kicks, 4-6 toms; kicks and toms in black), Roland hi-hat and cymbals (VH-12, CY-15R, and 2 or 3 CY-14Cs), Gibraltar rack and hardware, Pearl pedals, and a new throne (probably a Gibraltar or Roc-n-Soc).

--Bob
                Hey Bob welcome to the forum. That sounds like it is going to be a nice kit. Look forward to seeing some pictures of it. You will have a blast. You can play anytime of the day too. I just played my kit and it is 1:30 am.

Vinny
                Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

You'll love the Harts! Welcome to the forum. Don't forget some good headphones--Tyler can recommend some.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Welcome, Bob

Bob,

Welcome from one of your local area v-drummers. I am in the Alexandria Virginia area. Know there are quite a number of v-drummers in this area, perhaps we should try to call them out for some get togethers. Has been tried before, with some minor success, but depends on who is monitoring posts at what time!

Good luck with the kit build.

Peace,

Tadman
                    Tadman

"I wanted to play drums because I fell in love with the glitter and the lights, but it wasn't about adulation. It was being up there playing."
                    (Charlie Watts)

E-kit; Roland TDW20BkV-pro modified; SPD-S; HPD-10; some vintage edrums for nostalgia,... .

Comment

From another BOB in the local area, Burke, Va., WELCOME!

All of you kit ideas sound great, but I'm confused about the " 2 kicks ". Do you not like using a Dbl-Kick pedal? Or do you want two for visual reasons?!

Like to see some pics when you get that far. I'll be posting some of mine when I find my camera (lost in last move). Maybe we need to start a DC Metro Area vdrummers' club!

Bob
                      TD-12, TD-8, SPD-S, and a whole bunch of various triggers! ALL Roland stuff :)

Comment

Originally posted by bobo88 View Post
                        All of you kit ideas sound great, but I'm confused about the " 2 kicks ". Do you not like using a Dbl-Kick pedal? Or do you want two for visual reasons?!
                        Hi Bob. Well the answer is mostly the former. I wanted two e-kicks mostly to replicate the feel of my two acoustic bass drums. I had a double pedal many years ago, and the left side never felt quite like the right. Also, I'd like to do some experimenting with the placement of my hi-hat, perhaps putting the hi-hat pedal between the BD pedals, and the double pedal linkage would make this much more difficult.

--Bob

Comment

Welcome from me also, Tetra-Pro.

I'm not gonna argue about what you want to do with the two kick pedals, but newer doubles seem to be very good. I have an Iron Cobra double that doesn't have a different feel between the two pedals. I also put my FD7 on the inside of the left pedal and there's enough room. But hey, to each his own.

Shalom
                          Bruce

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Bruce. And you also, Tadman.

Yeah, I wrestled with the one kick/double pedal vs. two kick question for a while. But I decided to go with two in order to facilitate my fiendish pedal placement experiments. If they work, all will be revealed.

Comment

Hi Bob. Welcome to the site mate.

I use Cobra Power Gluides and I know they are expensive but can say in all honesty there the best bit of kit I ever purchased. I just wish they'd been around when I was gigging back in the middle-ages.

I position them as a double pedal set-up rather than a double base drum set-up and have the FD8 on the outside. Ive got a 12" PD125 snare on a DW stand and No Problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X