Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Megatron do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would Megatron do?

Welcome,

Well you certainly don't waste time opening up a can of worms do you you? The td8 is still a good module, although it may sound a bit dated. That can be alleviated with a Vex pack, or some of your own tweaking of the sounds.

TD8 has user customizable COSM settings. More limited than it's cousin the TD10, but still has it and helps get a "better" sound if you will.

TD9 is brand spanking new...and I've not even played it at a music store yet. If it were my money though, I'd buy as much of a module as money affords and slowly upgrade the pads. (Playing on rubber pads...really isn't that bad in my opinion. I still use one for soem aux. stuff.)

If you can swing it...try looking at a td12 with the small rubber pads. You'll be extremely happy with that module (unless you play the TD20 ) but might not be in the budget.

I can tell you this group of characters (some of whom moderate this forum) make custom kits once you get sick of the kits in the module.

Anyway...welcome...and happy (deal) hunting!

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

The TD-8 remains a very popular module though it has been discontinued. I have no idea about e-drum prices in your part of the world, but a used TD-8 kit with mesh pads in good condition at a good price would be an excellent option for getting started in electronic percussion. As I always say, you have to start somewhere. Roland gear tends to hold it's value, so you'll be able to sell off your first kit and recoup a good chunk of your initial investment when you're ready to upgrade to bigger, better and more expensive gear later on.

Best of luck.
      >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Hi Binhead,

Welcome - the merits of better module vs better pads has been discussed a number of times on the forum and there seems general agreement that the best module you can afford is a good start. If you start with a better module then components can be added to your setup as you can afford more and better individual pads.

What I've found, though, over the last 6 months of playing an e-kit (TD-6V) is that I am still happy with the sounds in the 6V module (though it does have other limitations) but am slowly getting dissatisfied with the rubber pads compared to the mesh heads.

Mesh heads are quieter to play (less stick noise) and have stick response more like an a-kit but they do cost more. Mesh heads also seem to give slightly better sensitivity (dynamics). I am finding that the triggering for very quiet notes (e.g. when you are starting a roll at very low volume) is the main thing lacking in the e-kits compared to my old a-kit though this is only a factor in very quiet passages.

In the end, if you're buying secondhand then you need to compromise and grab whatever offers the best condition and options, then add the extra components as they pop up. Even if you get a TD-3 kit for a good price it will give you something to start with to keep you out of mischief.

Good luck

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X