Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another V-Drum Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another V-Drum Intro

I've been wandering around the showcase section of these forums for about a year without actually signing up and I finally got around to doing it.

My name is Evan and I've been playing the drums for about 3 and a half years. I'm 16 years old (turning 17 tomorrow ). I'm just finishing up my junior year in high-school. I'm completely self-taught but I'm not given enough time to practice with school work, my job, and the other 4 members of my family interfering.

I have a TD-3 that I've upgraded with a CY-5 for my hi-hat and a CY-8 for a second crash/china. I was generally pleased with the kit when I got it but as I've improved, I've become more and more unsatisfied with it. I've had problems with the provided cables and my ride not triggering at all. I was also pretty mad when I found out that I had a MDS-6SL instead of an MDS-3C. My biggest issues with the kit are the pads and the limitation of acoustic sounds in the module. It just doesn't feel or sound like I'm drumming.

I'm very tall and thin compared to other people my age and I've experienced a lot of physical problems over the years. My biggest problem is bad back pains. I've never set up an acoustic set before so I went in blindly with the electrics and I've screwed up my posture with my throne height and placement of the pads.

I would love to have a nice acoustic kit for the sound/look/feel but I'm restrained to electrics because nobody my family doesn't want to hear it. I'm very interested in A to E conversions but I don't know anything about how to do it or if my TD-3 is capable of supporting it. Unfortunately, money is a big issue in my family so I'm very limited in what I can do. I'm hoping that spending enough time on these forums will help lead me in the right direction towards having a great sounding, looking, and comfortable kit.

Welcome, Evan.

Almost every family has money problems, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You are right that spending some time in research here will help you develop a great sounding, looking, and feeling kit. There's so much here that the real trouble will be narrowing down your choices.

Three years may seem long (almost, what, a quarter of your life so far) but it will seem like a blip in a computer game not too far in the future. Look around, watch eBay and craigslist for deals, and save your money. Technology changes frequently and prices drop. Take your time and you can snag a good deal on a new set if you want one.

There are a number of threads around here on physical problems and solutions along with drum placement, so use the search engine to browse a little. You will probably find a bunch of info that might help with back pains and what not.

Shalom
    Bruce

Comment

Hey Evan,

Glad you've joined us. I'm brand new myself. I'm also tall (though not so thin) and my brain still thinks I'm as young as you, but my body says I'm 41. Once I get an ekit set up, I'll let you know if I come up with any new solutions for us vertically unchallenged guys.

Copper

Comment

Welcome in Evan. I have the reverse problem to you. I am vertically challenged at 5ft 2 and struggled initially with the limited amount of placement on my e-kit. It takes time to get your setup right. Give yourself time and you will get it exactly how you want it AND so it doesn't damage your body through bad posture
        TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

Welcome to the forum Evan. How tall are you? Your the same age as my son, he turned 17 on June 6th. Happy Birthday....

Comment

Happy Birthday
            And, oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
              Welcome to the forum Evan. How tall are you? Your the same age as my son, he turned 17 on June 6th. Happy Birthday....
              17? Babies, babies I tell you... My boy turned 25 on the 6th (Must have been a good day for giving birth )

Comment

Welcome mate,and keep playin.Pratice practice practice.
                TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

A drum throne with a back rest might help, it´s sure a relief for my back.
                  Also when setting up a kit (A´s or E´s doesn´t matter):
                  The key is to sit comfortably. There´s no rules how to set up a kit, it´s all individual and depends on your style and built.
                  Most important is that you can sit and play in a relaxed way (thanks to great drummer Rodney Holmes for this info BTW).

Oh, and welcome! And happy birthday too!
                  2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

csnow, i'm 6'4" 130 lbs

thank you for the birthday wishes everyone!

Comment

Woa!

You must be having other medical issues, too. My son is 6'4" and weighs a little over 300 pounds. I should slim down but at 6'1" even 200 pounds would be pretty skinny for me. Rythm is right (there's a song in there somewhere) a back on your throne would help a lot if you don't have one already. It helped me when I got one.

Dude, you should stock up on Twinkies or something.

Oh yeah, and happy birfday also.

Shalom
                      Bruce

Comment

Another welcome aboard Evan and Happy Birthday!
                        So, June 9th or June 10th for you? The Aus / US time difference throws me.
                        My birthday was today too (June 10th for me)

Comment

2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

At 2.54 centimeters to the inch he's about 193 centimeters tall.

Really, alarmingly skinny.

What's your favorite junk food Evan? Maybe we need to take up a collection and send you some candy and pretzels or something. Or we could send a Hostess rep out to your place and maybe you could do commercials sort of like the guy who does the Subway thing. "I ate a case of Ding Dongs every day for a year and finally gained enough that I didn't have to worry about my drum kit fighting back." When you smile and hold up a box you could have chocolate in your teeth.

You could make a mint!

Shalom
                            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                              Woa!

Dude, you should stock up on Twinkies or something.

That was just wrong - ROFL.

But 130 and 6'4 is very thin indeed. Have you tried muscle gaining products. Some of those shakes can pack a ton of rich calories.

Comment

Working...
                              X