Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Hello and Pics of My New Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Hello and Pics of My New Set

Well, I made a small post when I first bought my kit; however, I never formally introduced myself. I wanted to officially say hi and show some pictures of my setup.

My name is Chris and I am from Palm Bay, FL. I am 37 and have a wife and three kids (17, 15, and 13). I have not played drums since 1985 when I sold my 11 piece Pearl set, which helped finance my first car. I got the game Rock Band for my teenagers and the drum bug bit me really hard, so I started looking for a new set. A's were out of the question due to noise issues, so I started reading and reading and reading 100's of threads on this forum.

I came close to buying a TD12 set but the smaller toms just didn’t fit me. The next week, I found a T10 expanded set on craigslist for $1800. I was able to snatch it the same day it was listed. Once I got the kit home, the hard part came... finding a place to put it while maintaining WAF (wife acceptance factor). Oddly enough, the set ended up in the living room in front of the bay window. When you walk into my house, you have to look to the right and behind you to see the drums. This actually turned out to be the most inconspicuous place in the houe. Believe it or not, I have actually had people come over and not notice them until they were leaving - just what the wife wanted

I do have to play when she is not watching TV but she has been very gracious with my practice time.... more so than I had ever imagined. I will probably move them out to the garage in the winter but summers in FL are just too unbearable in the garage. I mainly play via headphones, but I do have the module connected into my Denon receiver. They really sound great on the home theater setup which has a nice meaty 15" sub.

Future plans - I have already purchased a pearl eliminator double base pedal and ordered the midi USB cable to install the vexpression kits. I want to move the Roland cy15r ride to be a crash and get a 16" black Hart for the ride. I don’t really care for the Roland ride at all. I also plan to get a VH-11 and possibly upgrade to a TD20 but I am going to rock the TD10ex for awhile. I ordered several DVD packs for instruction. I never learned to read music before, but I plan to do so this time around.

Well, sorry for the short novel. I look forward to making some new friends here.

Here are some pics of my setup.

I know, the cables are a mess. I bought some velcro and zip ties to neaten things up but I haven't done so yet.

These are the speakers that I have the Rolands running through. The kit actually sounds really nice in 5ch stereo.

Last edited by csnow; 06-07-08, 12:11 PM.

Sweeeeeeet. You must have a VERY understanding wife. One way I got my wife to cooperate better was to ask her to be a singer in the band! But she still won't let me keep my TD10 in the living room.

Welcome to the FOH.

Shalom
    Bruce

Comment

That is favorite Bible verse Big Bopper.

Yes she is very understanding. She didnt like them at all when they were in our large family room/open kitchen. When they were there, that was the first thing you saw when you walked in the house. A large set of red drums at the end of the entrance hallway. She did firmly say that from October to May, that they (along with me) will be in the garage

Comment

Very Nice! Have your kids picked up interest in the kit?

Comment

Nice set-up. That is a good deal on the kit. Especially being expanded ,the cymbals and all. Does your wife and kids play any instruments? My wife, Kids and myself play Rockband. But I have a hard time on the drums though. Does any other drummers find it difficult to play drums on Rockband? I see on ebay that they have the mesh drum conversion kit for Rockband.
          I hope you enjoy your new drums.
          Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

That's a great introduction Chris and I really love those shells. Are they after market wraps? They look fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky_Roll View Post
              Very Nice! Have your kids picked up interest in the kit?
              My son plays guitar and has shown an interest in the drums. He just wants to play what he knows and not practice. He does the same thing with the guitar, but my hope is he will take one of the two serious and start putting some hours into technique and practice. The girls haven't shown much interest in playing but they love RockBand, which doesn't make sense to me; but then again, when have teenagers ever made any sense

Originally posted by vjboc View Post
              Nice set-up. That is a good deal on the kit. Especially being expanded ,the cymbals and all. Does your wife and kids play any instruments? My wife, Kids and myself play Rockband. But I have a hard time on the drums though. Does any other drummers find it difficult to play drums on Rockband? I see on eBay that they have the mesh drum conversion kit for Rockband.
              I hope you enjoy your new drums.
              I was very pleased with the purchase. I haven't seen anything on Craigslist or eBay anywhere near the price I paid. $1800 for the drums, expanded module, throne, and an iron cobra single pedal is a bargin.... at least in my book. I find Rock Band a little hard to play. On medium I play really good but I want to play the bass notes in the song that aren't on the screen at the lower difficulty level. When I play on expert, the notes are there but I stink at keeping up with the rest of it. I watched the trailer video for Guitar Hero 4 and the drummer from Blink 182 said that the expert plays the exact same as the groove in the song. I am hoping it will be a little better. The drums are wireless and the cymbals pads are in the boom position so it should feel a bit more natural.

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
              That's a great introduction Chris and I really love those shells. Are they after market wraps? They look fantastic.
              Thanks for the compliment. I like the red shells but the red rack is a bit too flashy for me. In the early 2000 era Roland offered white, purple, and red. I think the purple are very attractive, but I am too **manly ** to play on a purple set. I already have to drive the hand-me-down minivan. Purple drums may put me over the edge, I must retain some masculinity

Comment

I had to buy TLMR (the Lovely Mrs. Render) furniture to get my kit. Heh.
                TLMc (the Lovely Mrs. csnow) sounds very underatsning. And in the living room no less!
                sigpic

Comment

Hey, I resemble that purple remark! I really shopped around to find my purple TD10. That's the color I wanted. But I also put a cover around the front that my daughter made. Pics are here if you want to take a peek.

Watch what you say about "manly" dude, or I'll have to come down there and kick sand in your face or something. Actually, I'm 6'-1" and 230 pounds but I've never been in a fight (except once with my brother). Can't figure out why...

Maybe because I can run really fast.

So... I know! Keep it up and maybe instead I'll just sneak over some night and paint your minivan to look like a purple micro bus. Except then I'll have to stay up past my bedtime...aw the heck with it, say what you want. I'm too old and tired to care.

Shalom
                  Bruce

Comment

HAHA... I knew I would find someone who had a purple set after I posted that Be careful messing with me, it takes a strong manly man to drive a minivan. It is not for the faint at heart trust me. The jeers, snickers, and insults one receives at stop lights is a bit daunting. I even get dissed by the soccer moms because my minivan is an older model. Its a grueling ordeal....trust me

Your set actually looks really nice Bruce. The purple is a lot darker than I thougt it was. I thought they were more of a soft violet color. I would rock that set in a heartbeat. I think the only thing the purple set needs now is some white "Chantilly Lace" to complete the look. Sorry, bad "Big Bopper" joke

Comment

Originally posted by csnow View Post
                      .....I think the only thing the purple set needs now is some white "Chantilly Lace" to complete the look. Sorry, bad "Big Bopper" joke
                      You could get your wife playing that kit to add the 'pretty face' part too
                      *just adding to the bad 'Big Bopper' joke*

Comment

Sooooo...

I've got a purple set AND a Toyota 2000 Sienna! 'Course, my wife mainly drives that. I have a 1994 F250 Diesel 4x4. If I get too much flack at a stop light I just press the accelerator pedal a couple times.

Put some exhaust in their window!

Yeah, baby!

Or is it, Helloooo Baby!

Shalom
                        Bruce

Comment

Gotta ask, did you buy the kit from this guy? Looks very similar. Worth a look for his facial expressions at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJHk...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky_Roll View Post
                            Gotta ask, did you buy the kit from this guy? Looks very similar. Worth a look for his facial expressions at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJHk...eature=related
                            LOL - He doesnt look like the type that would like that type of music. If that angry noise can be considered music

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                              Sooooo...
                              I have a 1994 F250 Diesel 4x4.
                              Now that is a MANLY ride So your the guy that keeps dumping diesel fumes into my window while laughing and pointing fingers at the stoplight

Comment

Working...
                              X