Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning to drums after 20 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to drums after 20 years!

Hello, I'm returning to playing after 20 years, just ordered a TD-9SX today. I have to say I am more than impressed with how far electronic drums have come. I watched a video by Johnny Rabb and was blown away with the subtle tone and dynamics, certainly a far cry from my ancient Tama pads and Roland DDR30 sound module from the 80's! Back then I played accoustic but like everyone else covering 80's music, I had the prerequisite electronics (thought they played terribly).

I stayed somewhat active in music in the early 90's, I had a computer hooked up to a MOTU MIDI interface, a keyboard and several sound modules (including the Alesis D5 drum module) but always missed playing the drums (never the space for a decent size kit or the money). Now that money isn't the problem ist used to be and my 6-year-old girl is asking to play an instrument, I used it as a good argument with the Wife to get a studio setup again.

This seems to be a great place for information and support, my first question is to ask about playing through headphones, is it acceptable? In the old days the pads were hard and no matter how you played, you heard them through the headphones, is this still an issue? Also, I played pretty heavy, I imagine the Wife might hear the kick through the floor, anyone have similar concerns and maybe some decent tricks?

Thanks in advance, nice to be here...

Jack
    Roland TD-9SX v2, Alesis ControlPad, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, SONOR X1 Studio, Tascam 24 Track

Hey Jack, (I'm Jack too...) Welcome!

I play exclusively through headphones, and don't find any trouble getting a volume level loud enough to drown out my striking the pads. I play in a room downstairs with the door closed, and have asked my wife on several occasions if my playing bothered her, and she always says that she doesn't hear me playing at all...

I was blown away by the TD-9 video demo as well, you're gonna love it!
    Especially once your daughter really gets into it, you won't regret not having acoustics then...
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I bought a set last week, my break was 23 years. Man, time flies... 1985 doesnt seem that long ago!

Comment

My break was nearly 30 years.
        The last time I owned a drum set was 1979...
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Welcome Jack...
          Johnny Rabb is a terrrific spokesperson for Roland, he plays so effortlessly!
          I saw him live in chicago at a seminar for Roland, sponsored by the Drum Pad. He is the one who actually put the thumb tack on my seat to get back into playing.
          The last time I played on a set was senior year in High School... 1968. So with coming back into drums around 2 years ago... I had been totally absent from drumming for 38 years.
          I now have a brand new TD-12 that I use at Country Place Jamboree... I leave it set up there. I also have a TD-8 at home on loan from church that I practise on. I am having the time of my life... glad I got the TD-12 and wished I never stopped playing, gosh I am so rusty!
          Ralph
          As the Wise Ole' drummer says... !:cool:

Comment

You beat me Ralphieboy,

My 22+ year layoff seems like an eternity (1985-2007) - and I really regret ever giving up.

It's nice to know we're not alone - it's all coming back....but there just aren't enough hours in the day to catch up.

Comment

Wow, I thought I would be alone, surrounded by folks that had been playing for 30+ years, nice to see I'm not the only one that got side-tracked but found my way back. The funny thing is without electronic drums I doubt I could pick it up again, with a 6-year-old and Wife, I'd have very limited playing hours (because of the noise).

My stuff came in today, yeah! I was able to get the kit setup, it really is well made and I very much like the look and feel of the new TD-9 module. I decided to go with a double bass pedal (DW 7000) since I was just starting to work on double bass way back in the old days, I had 15 minutes to play at the store while they loaded up my stuff and though rusty, it' all still there.

Since I'm going to do this, I thought I'd do it right and drug out the MIDI keyboard and rack full of sound modules, EQ's, Compressor/Limiter, MIDI Express for hooking up to the computer and ordered Cakewalk SONOR, should have the entire studio together by the weekend, I'm really looking forward to playing again...

Jack
              Roland TD-9SX v2, Alesis ControlPad, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, SONOR X1 Studio, Tascam 24 Track

Comment

Hellooooooo Jack --- 32 year break for me .. this time I'm gonna do it right .. LEARNING the rudiments and learn to read music . My guess is no one is impressed by In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida anymore ...
                Roland TD12KX V Drums

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!Gadda What!!!!!!!!!. Have I missed out on something here.

Gigged for 25 years, Gave up for 20. Now Im Back, thanks to these E thingy's.

Comment

Hi,

I haven't played for around 20 years as well. We just ordered a TD-9 set - which I am very excited about getting home. The store lent me a TD-3 kit to use until mine comes in, which was really nice of them.

I saw Johnny Rabb play at CES a couple of weeks ago - pretty cool to watch up close.

Nice to see I am not the only one starting over again....

Cheers,
                    Greg

Comment

Welcome Jack !
                      Also a 20 year break here and i was blown away when i start playing on the td-6 before GAS.Sometimes i think everyone here had a break, so many people back to drums here due to vdrums
                      Ex E-kits:
                      ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                      ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                      current E-kit
                      ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                      " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Welcome from another long break guy, 27 years in my case. Glad you've returned. Blow away the cobwebs and you'll be better than ever.
                        Enjoy the forum.

Comment

Welcome Jack!

Same here...TD-9SX, played in the eighties then quit for too long. Man....this is gonna cost you...LOL. Better tell the wife to take your credit cards now. Welcome!

Wes

Comment

I wish i had been able to start playing when i was young, all you guys come back from a break at least had that option

but welcome back from a td9 pilot

saku
                            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                              I wish i had been able to start playing when i was young, all you guys come back from a break at least had that option

but welcome back from a td9 pilot

saku
                              You could go the opposite way my friend and start playing NOW the accoustic (with real cowbells)
                              Ex E-kits:
                              ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                              ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                              current E-kit
                              ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                              " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Working...
                              X