Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy saying Hi with some "newbie" questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy saying Hi with some "newbie" questions

Just found this forum... and just in time too..haha...

I'm about to get into "V-Drumming" and I'm thrilled to have found a spot to ask what I'm sure are embarrasingly simple question's...here goes!

I have a Pro Tools LE set up (Digi 002+MusicXPC C4 computer) and I have been using EZ Drummer software and a M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Keyboard to do drums.

I'm looking at either the Roland TD12 Kit Complete,the TD12 w/TD20 Brain or possibly the TD20 Complete.

Question #1 How do the Roland kits sound on their own (subjective as it is)?

Question #2 For recording do most folk's play in the midi then add the plug-in after or play through the plugin and route to wherever (latency issue's etc...)?

I'm also considering the Roland PM30 system...or might my Mackie 824mkII's be adequate although certainly less convienent?

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to throw in a thought...

Thanks!

#1 - Good. With some tweaking, very good. With the VEx packs - Excellent.
    #2 - I use the TD-20 sounds, but using plugins depends on your setup. If you system is fast enough to have low latency, it is always best to run the plugin while recording the MIDI. If you don't have that luxury, monitor with the Module sounds while recoring the MIDI.

If you are just recording, I would use Heaphones to record and the 824s to mix. If you are going to play live, please use the search engine for tons of discussion on which amps to get.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
      #1 - Good. With some tweaking, very good. With the VEx packs - Excellent.
      #2 - I use the TD-20 sounds, but using plugins depends on your setup. If you system is fast enough to have low latency, it is always best to run the plugin while recording the MIDI. If you don't have that luxury, monitor with the Module sounds while recoring the MIDI.

If you are just recording, I would use Heaphones to record and the 824s to mix. If you are going to play live, please use the search engine for tons of discussion on which amps to get.
      Micheal just curious everyone seems to be high on the VEX pack, from what I understand they are just re programming kits, what is it about their programming that cant be done by you or I? I listened to the samples off the site I liked a few kits I heard not all but some. I am trying to understand. For the record I don't use factory kits.I am considering getting the TD-9 pack when it becomes available, depending on the price I see they range from $40 to $150.00, If you or someone could explain it it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Bob.
      Last edited by Bobvan; 05-30-08, 10:57 AM.
      Tama Arstar TM6 Pro 2X PD85's

Comment

Originally posted by Bobvan View Post
        what is it about their programming that cant be done by you or I?
        Technically nothing. They are just really good at it. Just like technically I could sit down at a Slingerland Kit and play as good as Buddy Rich.

Alan and company have a firm knowledge of everything that goes into creating a great sound. Whereas most of us just have a rough knowledge. I rely on their expertise to get my sounds and willingly pay for that expertise.
        sigpic

Comment

Plus the fact that the VEX packs have a 'nice price' makes it just an excellent choice. I couldn't do a better job than Alan.
          TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
          Loving it every second..

Comment

Working...
          X