Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gday... newbie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gday... newbie...

Hey all,

I think merely signing up to this forum caused a disturbance in the force that my credit card felt from across the room, but aaaaanyway

I've been an on-off guitarist. Primarily interested in metal, but also electronic music. I'm thinking of getting an electronic kit, cos I think it would improve my rhythm, and it just looks like too much fun bashing away I still live with the olds, and my brother in the room next door gets migraines, and an accoustic kit wouldn't fit in my current car (2 dr coupe), so electronic is pretty much it for now. Everyone I know says no metal local bands will play with an electronic drummer, and may as well use a drum machine, but I'm hoping to give them reason to rethink that (might as well aim high...).

Gene Hoglan, Portnoy, and some of the swedith death/black metal drummers would be my influence, so I guess decent technique will be a must. I've got a lot to learn. I've never hit a drum in my life, and it's interesting trying to learn the E drum terms as well as the generic drumming terms at once.

I'm eyeing off a TD9KWS (Aussie release of the TD9 kit with the rubber toms), and would be getting a double kick pedal later when I've learnt the basics. A friend tells me it would be a good kit and I might just want to add one tom and another cymbal. The main thing I'm concerned about is learning on an e kit and then later moving to an accoustic kit and finding things work differently and getting messed up because of it :P Cos noone here wants to play live with e drums, I so guess an a kit will be inevitable once the skills are up.

Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself Still reading up, a little while off buying Oh btw, it's annoying to see that we still have to pay a fair bit on top for these kits compared to what the US pay, esp since our dollar is so close :P

Ben.
    Last edited by sl33py; 05-28-08, 09:49 AM. Reason: made a fau pas

Gday Ben
    I could tell from your thread title we had another Aussie on board

I hear you totally on the v drums thing. I had never played drums before 11 months ago and am primarily a keyboard player but play guitar, bass and trumpet too. My kit started life as a TD3 with a TD12 module and was originally intended as an alternative to programming drum tracks or playing drum parts on my keyboard.
    However, I have discovered I am actually picking things up pretty quickly with drums and LOVE playing them. My kit has expanded a tad since I first got it too.

I started jamming with a band a few weeks ago and they have an acoustic kit in their jam room which I played. Obviously it feels totally different to playing my V kit but I had no troubles other than getting used to the different kit layout. I do wear earplugs when playing the A's though because I am a sound engineer and don't want to risk my hearing and A cymbals are freaking LOUD when you're on the throne!!

Would I be correct in guessing you are a bit of a Star Wars fan too?
    I have a feeling you'll love the TD9. Where are you based in Aus?

Comment

Originally posted by sl33py View Post
      ... a real kit wouldn't fit in my current car...

...then later moving to a real kit...
      Welcome to the forum!

But, you're not off to a very good start making commments like that here!
      VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
      ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
      ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
      Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

TNT, I shoulda said "accoustic" rather than "real" - My apologies hehe

Hey SuperPuss, was just watching ur vids. Crazy setup there! I also like high quality music/hifi, and where noise-reducing earplugs to concerts (I find I hear MORE music with them, cuts out all the super-high treble info from the guitars/drums). And I have some Shure E4C I used to use on my mp3 player, which I would probably use for practice. Yeah bit of a SW fan and I'm from Canberra.

I'm going to get a few lessons to find out if drumming is my thing, cos I've never touched em in my life hehe. I think I've got enough coordination not to get put off though!

Comment

Keep us posted on the lessons. I was thinking about getting lessons before I bought my kit but then I figured I'd just go ahead and get the kit anyway. Crazy I know but perhaps Obi-Wan was guiding me because it has paid off without the lessons

How are you finding the E4C's? I haven't yet heard a pair but I know of people who've used them live as IEM's (I wish everyone would use IEM's live, it would make my job easier and ridding the stage of wedges is always a good thing).

I usually do my live mixes wearing regular foam earplugs. I do all the eq'ing, setting up FOH and soundcheck without them and pop them in for the gig.
          I've had other engineers scoff at the idea but I really can pull a better mix with them in. As you mention, everything is clearer and cleaner and I'm not fighting the human ear's natural compression.
          The most important thing is the performers, the punters and the club owners are happy with my mix which earns me regular live work with decent acts

...oh, and thanks for the comps on my clips

Comment

I've only used the E4C's for listening to music so far, not practice or anything. But they are pretty 'honest' (reason I bought them for music heh), so I imagine they'd do a decent job.

"FOH?"

Comment

Welcome mate. The TD9 is a great starting point and yes you'll need a second crash cymbal, and make sure you get a decent kick pedal and throne too. If your likely to progress onto A's, bear in mind the drums are larger in diameter so when you set up your E kit, space the pads apart. Dont have everything set up too close or youll feel right out of place as soon as you sit at an A kit. Also, if you do get a double pedal, remember the hihat pedal will have to move further to the left to accomadate this.

Good luck mate. Drums are the best thing going but they aint easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                Front Of the House
                Thanks TNT

Sl33py,
                In sound engineering terms, FOH can either refer to the mixing position or the main 'FOH' speaker stacks and amps (or anything to do with the part of the PA the audience hears directly).

Comment

Working...
                X