Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40 years to get a kit : now let's purdie shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 years to get a kit : now let's purdie shuffle

It is the place to introduce himself. So here it is.
    I just got 40 and a TD-20 as I have always dreamed to play drum.
    I started to get lessons.
    Someone please tell me that it is not too late to be able to play the purdie shuffle and the John bonham Fool In The Rain before I die :-)

Cheers from Paris.

Welcome to the Forum !!! Remember no matter what you learn to play
    on your kit the point of drumming is to relax and have FUN. Never too
    old to learn and to have fun on the drum kit !!!!!! Enjoy your TD-20 !! E
    Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Never too late to shuffle. Funny you mention it....I've been working recently on trying to get comfortable playing it. What I concentrate on is basically doing triplets. RRL RRL (right hand hihat, left hand snare ghost notes). The bass drum is where I have the most trouble but getting better. Good Luck!

Oh, and don't forget to watch the man demonstrate it himself!
      Purdie shuffle Part 1
      Purdie shuffle Part 2
      Last edited by Colquhoun; 05-27-08, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Love that Bernie Purdie stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
          Welcome to the forum!
          Never too late to shuffle. Funny you mention it....I've been working recently on trying to get comfortable playing it. What I concentrate on is basically doing triplets. RRL RRL (right hand hihat, left hand snare ghost notes). The bass drum is where I have the most trouble but getting better. Good Luck!
          That's interesting. I do OK on the Purdie Shuffle until I try to do the quarter notes on the hihat!

Comment

It's never too late to Bonham!
            Alan
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Welcome mate,go for it.When im behind a kit,im in another place.drums rule.
              TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

It's not too late at all! You might want to start with something a little simpler, but you can get there from 40.

Comment

B Purdie is the bomb-digity!

Welcome bro. If you get a chance...check out a few of B's instructional vids... I can't remember exctly which ones now...but in a few of them he really starts diggin the groove...starts -himn hawn- -uh- all over the place.

Very entertaining drummer!

E
                  - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakin View Post
                    Someone please tell me that it is not too late to be able to play the purdie shuffle and the John bonham Fool In The Rain before I die :-)

Cheers from Paris.

Never too late.

Comment

Well hello youngster!!! Welcome to the world of drumming. I myself am soon to be 42!!!!!!!!!! You are never to old to start playing. Keep in mind you need to find time to practice and if there is someone around, maybe take some lessons from an instructor.

Good luck!!!

Home kit - HD1
                      Church Kits TD-6 and now TD-4

wanna save 10% on your ecig supplies?
                      www.ecigssimplified.webs.com

Comment

It is the place to introduce himself.

Cheers from Paris.
                        Do a youtube search on Jeff Porcaro and see his explanation of the song Rosanna in which he uses a hybrid of the Purdie shuffle and the shuffle from Fool in the Rain.
                        JB in NJ

"Ding" - Neil Peart, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres I. Prelude

Comment

Hi Jakin. Welcome to the site mate.

Like most things, the earlier you start, the easier it is, and drumming is no different.

I started seriously in my early teens and gigged for 25 years. I then laid off for 20 years but am now trying to get back into it. Because I know what I need to do and what I use to do it's really making me struggle at times. In a way your better off starting late with a clean sheet.

Im not sure what you actually want to achieve but bear in mind that playing the drums and being a drummer are two totally different things. The only way to be a drummer is to be able to cut it in a band. Its a whole different ball game. Theres loads more you need to know and be able to do when your live infront of an audience.

Anyway, have fun and dont get yourself bogged down practicing rudiments all day. Its not that important. Enjoyment is the bottom line

Comment

Cheers from Paris.
                            You can do anything you put your mind to. And no, it is not too late. I have played for 28 years and not until now do I actually bother to practice paradiddles... the rest of the time, I simply played without them.
                            Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

Working...
                            X