Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy- be gentile!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy- be gentile!

Hi everyone!

My name is Dan. A-drummer for 25years, with a short diversion into electronic arena in the Simmons SD9 days. The days spent with it and my Yamaha TX16W, and Alesis drum machine left my hands, elbows and mind weary.

I am a hopeless gear whore. Just 5 years ago got bit by the drum building bug, and many builds later I have just about all my bases covered tone-wise with anything not needing AC power. Built myself a wife and neighbor friendly concrete encased studio under my garage that lets me woodshed at anytime I get the urge......bye-bye my 41year old self asking mommies permission to play.

I play in a 4 pc rock band that gigs as frequently as our families let us. We play mainly our own music but mix in enough covers to fill out the night. This brought me to the Roland SPD-s, which I just purchased this morning. I wanted to add some texture to our originals and in process I am excited to loose my tamborine, jam blok, vibraslap and side snare that cluttered my left side rack.

I found this forum and immediately was overwhelmed by the sheer wealth of knowledge shared here. I am ready to get my hands dirty and get INTO the SPD-s guts......don't worry I can swim pretty well but don't hesitate to throw me a life perserver if I go under

-Dan
    Attached Files

Hi Dan and welcome aboard.

That's a pretty cool looking practise space and a great collection of snares on your rack.
    I haven't played around with an SPDs yet but I may do so in the future.

Comment

Hope the thread title isn't meant to be racist. It would take surgery to make me gentile!
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

He could be a gentle gentile!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
          I haven't played around with an SPDs yet but I may do so in the future.
          Hi SP. I think everyone on this board KNOWS you will play around with an SPDS someday as you're the queen of acquisition lately
          TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
          Loving it every second..

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
            Hope the thread title isn't meant to be racist. It would take surgery to make me gentile!
            Gentile/genteel. Tomato/tomato.

Bruce

Comment

Welcome to the forum Flyin6.

I used a Pad80II back in the day when I was using acoustics exclusively. It is basically the same as the SPD but without sounds. I used a drum machine to get my sounds. It came in handy for claps (pun intended), cowbell, tambourine, etc. I also added a foot pedal and would often put a cowbell on the pedal to give me a steady quarter note on sections of some songs.

It will be a great addition to your setup. Your setup will give you a lot of opportunities to expand what you're doing for the band. Just don't expect to get paid any more ;-)
              Doc

Upgraded V-Pro, TD10 with TDW-1, V-cymbals, DW pedals, JBL EON15 G2, BBE482, Octapad II Pad-80, Misc external signal processors, 7 pc TAMA Crestar, Zildjian cymbals; 5 String Bass, 12 string and assorted 6 string guitars

Comment

Glad you're here, flyin6. I can be as gentile as the next guy, since I are one.

But you, my friend, have something seriously wrong with you. Just look at how neat and well-ordered your playing space is! Plenty of room, proper storage, and everything. Are you sure you don't have a condition we should watch out for?

Shalom
                Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                  Glad you're here, flyin6. I can be as gentile as the next guy, since I are one.

But you, my friend, have something seriously wrong with you. Just look at how neat and well-ordered your playing space is! Plenty of room, proper storage, and everything. Are you sure you don't have a condition we should watch out for?

Shalom
                  Bruce
                  I keep the studio clean- the workshop is another story.......I need one of those TV shows that organize pack rats to come in and bail me out.

Comment

Lucky lucky

Originally posted by Flyin6 View Post
                    I keep the studio clean- the workshop is another story.......I need one of those TV shows that organize pack rats to come in and bail me out.
                    Wow! you have a studio AND a workshop?

I have a 4ft x 5ft space on a Roland mat and a beige carpet i'm thinking of selling the bed so i can expand the kit and then sleep on top of the cymbals.

Need a lodger? i don't mind sleeping inside your bass drum

From big Dave in small UK house and gheez look at what they sell these for £££ ... moan moan yadder yadder i remember when oranges tasted good yak yak

PS welcome to the website nice gear and yeah "tidy studio - tidy rudiments" with lashings of gentility in a crappy world ...
                    Last edited by daveybabes; 05-28-08, 04:33 AM.
                    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
                    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
                    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
                    :eek: ...
                    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
                    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin6 View Post
                      Built myself a wife and neighbor friendly concrete encased studio under my garage that lets me woodshed at anytime I get the urge
                      It's Ok Dan, we're all family here.

You can admit to us that it's really a bomb shelter.

Comment

Working...
                      X