Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe the stupidest question I've ever asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the stupidest question I've ever asked

A simple and probably stupid question. I am trying to figure out whether I can fit a Roland e-drum kit in a room. Are e-drum kits smaller than acoustic kits generally speaking?
    sigpic

http://www.silverdragonsound.com

Originally posted by silverdragonsnd View Post
    A simple and probably stupid question. I am trying to figure out whether I can fit a Roland e-drum kit in a room. Are e-drum kits smaller than acoustic kits generally speaking?
    Yes they are quite a bit smaller than an acoustic kit. My TD-3 is less
    than half the size and weight of my Pearl five piece kit.
    Eric G: Pearl,Paiste,Remo,Vic Firth,Gibraltar,Roc-n-Soc,Roland TD-6V, Lots of Vex and mesh all around.

Comment

Are you lookng at a specific kit? I'm sure people here will gladly give you space requirements or you could head to a music store with your tape measure.

Comment

Here are the measurements of the td12,3,6 and 20.

Hope this helps

http://www.pidesign.cl/gox/
        Site for exchanging kit for Roland Vdrums
        sigpic
        www.vdrums.es

Comment

I'd say it totally depends...generally speaking, yes. It'll be most noticeable as you get around to the larger toms and cymbals...manufacturer's sets aren't going to have 14"+ toms nor will they have 20" rides, so you can fit toms and cymbals much tighter. Plus you no longer have an 18" deep kick (or 24" for you Tommy Lee fans! ). But some players don't like their kit really tight, so it will depend on you to some extent. And then, or course, there's the whole need to expand...it's inevitable. We wanted to expand our acoustic kits, we will want to expand our electronic kits too! But that's another subject and is further down the road.
          From my own personal experience, I know that I need the area in front of me to be open...I can't be in an enclosed space. At one point I had my kit in a storage closet in the basement and I would get relatively claustrophobic in there...just didn't feel like I could move around. So my advice is don't close yourself in.
          Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

There are no stupid questions here!

Jose, thanks for sharing those graphical layouts... cool!
            Alan
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
              There are no stupid questions here!

Jose, thanks for sharing those graphical layouts... cool!
              In the words of the great Homer Simpson....
              "There are no stupid questions - only stupid people."

Yeah, I liked the layouts as well.
              Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

It's a good question - I read about the huge dimensions needed to set up a TD20 - but with some careful planning, and a slightly more angled ride than I use in real life, I've fitted my standard TD-20 into a square that's 3'8'' by 3'8'' (this doesn't include me sitting at the kit!) I play with everything close together anyway, but I don't reckon you could get it smaller than that
                TD-20 V-Pro Kit
                Yamaha Tour Custom / Zildjian K Customs and A Customs
                DW / Yamaha Hardware / DW5000 Double Pedal
                Yamaha 01x / i88x

Comment

how big is the room...?
                  http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...760#post301760
                  :cool:
                  ;)

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I don't know how big the room is exactly but I did measure the area I have available. Ironically the specs given by joseclaro1 didn't mention the TD9 which is what I was looking at ideally. The specs did help me realize that I don't have as much space I thought. In the end I may not be able to get the TD9 as I had originally wanted. And guess what, this leads me to another question, I know you are absolutely shocked.
                    sigpic

Comment

I got my TD6V set up in my office, inbetween the drawer cabinets and it sits in there with 1100mm between the cabs and sticks out 1200mm from the wall to the back of the throne. This is with a traditional type setup. It could be squashed in closer if your not bothered.

Comment

I have a tiny 9' x 9' office with a 5' x 5' corner desk.
                        My TD-3 kit fits easily in the adjoining 4' corner.
                        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

They're smaller until you get G.A.S.

Initially I was all about keeping a small, easily set up footprint. That's slowly growing as I get "just one more little thing."

Easy Cheapo gig set:
                          Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

Interestingly the last two posts are very helpful to me as well. The picture is a similar set up to what I would be looking at. G.A.S. is something I am very susceptible to and I know the more I get into drumming the more I will have it and want more. I really have to tale some time and thnik this over. The good thing is that my main focus has been on playing and learning which is the most important thing to me as this point. I don't want to lose sight of that.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X