Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi I am new...and a bass player!..wanna learn..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi I am new...and a bass player!..wanna learn..

Hi

I need to know more about timing and "how a drummer thinks"

also, my 13 yr old cousin , she just a drum set, an "acoustic" (not electronic) and she wants to learn.

I am gonna help her set up the drum kit, it is kinda cheap and sounds goofy....

I play bass, and hang out at uglybassplayer.com yah, we are ugly!

so , I would like to take some instruction and learn different timings, and I can show my cousin, and learn more myself, to lock in the foundation......

bass and drums

NOW<

this forum seems to be more electronic based

i haven't read much, but I am gonna investigate

DOES anyone know of an "acoustic" or "drum kit" drum forum that is kinda full of info?

thanks! and hello, from the "2nd half" of the foundation of most bands!

big al

aka

rokkitt

Sorry to hear your a bass player mate, but then I suppose, someones got to do it.

If your a gigging bassist you should have a pretty good idea of whats required. I mean the bass and drums should work together in the main part.

Anyhow, welcome to the site, and may all your threads be answered.

Comment

If you're looking for some online help, in terms of tutorials etc:
      1. just because it's electronic doesn't mean we don't have to know the knowledge.. have a read of the site for terms of paradiddles etc.. (you'll be suprised the number of Adrum players here too)
      2. Nutha Jason's website http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id10.html
      3. Youtube (although often the techniques vary wildly)
      4. Drummer's world

In all honesty though lessons for her and you.. (and I bet she picks it up faster that you ... blinking kids pffft!)
      TD6-KX, P2002C, MacBook Pro, mAudio Firewire Audiophile (and a Bodhrán)
      sigpic

Comment

I am learning right now on an acoustic. I would like to get e-drums down the road and most likely will. Lessons should be a must for both of you and rockband doesn't count.

Another good site for drums that I like besides this one is http://www.drumchat.com/home.php
        sigpic

http://www.silverdragonsound.com

Comment

yah, I knew I would catch all heck for playing the most boring instrument in the band!....hahahaha.......

nah, I really like bass....I just realize that if I learn a little bit more about the drummer parts, I can "speak the lingo" and really lock it in through my playing.

and, by learning basic beats, or rudiments, hey bass is percussive, and hopefully the exposure here (help, I am surrounded by drummers... ) will help my off time stuff....

and, my 13 yr old cousin, she is pretty excited to get started....

so , thanks for the other info, I also found some stuff....

drumdogs.com
          drummercafe.com
          drummerworld.com

and this

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/be...RODUCTION.html

so, where do I put a picture of my cool cousins cool drum set?.....it is a TAMA, and made in china.....

Now, where is the forums super beginners thread, I got some really wild and stupid and "only from the mind of a bass player" questions.....

hahhahahahaha

Comment

Dude nothing wrong with being a bass player

Bass IMO is tied with drums as far as coolness! I play both and since they are so interdependant in a band setting it is a good idea to know both. The only problem I have is when I play bass with most other drummers I get upset because they don't groove like I do!

I would say if you REALLY want to learn, get an instructor! You need help with the chops in order to play drums right. Once you understand rudiments and get good feel and timing, watch how much better you bass playing will become. To do it right, and being a younger guy or gal(at least I think you are) get and instructor NOW, you will not regret it! I never had formal bass instruction but can play decent..but took drum lessons for a few years starting at 12.

Comment

The Drum / Bass thing is a long standing joke thing, that goes back to the days when I was gigging. It was always a one-up to get one over on the Bass player and visa versa. It was always good humoured and taken as such.

What it boils down to is you need both, and both rely on each other. You go into a drum solo and the bass keeps you in time and brings you back. The Bass goes walk abouts and the drums keep him in-line.

Thats the name of the game.

Ive known some great Bassists in my time and Im glad that Ive been associated with them.

Comment

Originally posted by BassDrummer View Post
                Dude nothing wrong with being a bass player

dooood...glad I have your permission to play bass! hahahha just joking, I am trying to tread lightly here, cuz I am NOT a drummer , but have always had a great interest to learn....I am in my 40's, and my cousinn is 13, and I am staying at there house in florida for a week or so.

Here is the story, she has a tama set with tama cymbals, and it cost about 1200 usd....the teacher she had was not friendly, and my cousin got frustrated and wont play. So, i brought my bass to her house, and I am trying to set up her drum set, but I really dont know much. I am looking on you tube, and doing searches and this drum froum is about the only one I am getting any response

see....you drummers DO hate bass players! hehehehehe

so , I found some basic training videos, my cousin, Deanna, has good drum sticks, and I have a metronome for her.

I am going to have her practice some very basic rudiments,

single stroke roll
                double stroke roll
                paradiddles
                5 stroke
                7 stroke rolls

and

i am showing her "4 on the floor" and kick drum on 1 and 3, and kind on 1 and 3+, and kick on 1 and +3,

NOW,
                we ahve a drum key, and the set is kinda tuned up when we bought it.

it doesn't really have a good sound, but it does sound in tune, but it sounds tinny and it sounds like african bongo drums.

not that sounding like that is bad, but we want to get a "deep rock and roll heavy punch kinda sound" if that makes sense...

Bass IMO is tied with drums as far as coolness!

gotta agree with that!....yah, I could probalbly use a little more groove in my playing, but, then again , I can learn from u drummers here, and learn a little on my own.. I play both and since they are so interdependant in a band setting it is a good idea to know both. The only problem I have is when I play bass with most other drummers I get upset because they don't groove like I do!

I would say if you REALLY want to learn, get an instructor! You need help with the chops in order to play drums right. Once you understand rudiments and get good feel and timing, watch how much better you bass playing will become. YES< I agree with the instructor theory, but I have to bring Deanna back from being scared of instructors, so I am teaching her metronome stuff for now, maybe we will both go to an instructor this week..

as far as my bass playing improving, yes, I am excited about that!!!!
                I feel that the drums and bass are the backbone of the band, and the singers and guitarists are just there for flash....we do all the work!!! the bass palyers and the drummers do the hard work in the background, and the damn screamers and twangers get all the glory at the edge of the stage! ahahhaha

To do it right, and being a younger guy or gal(at least I think you are) get and instructor NOW, you will not regret it! I never had formal bass instruction but can play decent..but took drum lessons for a few years starting at 12.

thanks for taking my post seriously, I am serious about learning, and more serious about teaching my cousin Deanna, and getting her back into it, the drumming scene.

Now, I know I cant "teach " her , but I can get her going again, and get her interested, and in touch with a good teacher this time.

THANKS TO ALL...!!!! EVERYTHING US BASS PLAYERS EVER SAID ABOUT YOU MANIAC DRUMMERS, I TAKE IT BACK..!!!! hehehehhehe

Big Al

Comment

Originally posted by rokkitt View Post
                  thanks for taking my post seriously, I am serious about learning, and more serious about teaching my cousin Deanna, and getting her back into it, the drumming scene.

Now, I know I cant "teach " her , but I can get her going again, and get her interested, and in touch with a good teacher this time.

THANKS TO ALL...!!!! EVERYTHING US BASS PLAYERS EVER SAID ABOUT YOU MANIAC DRUMMERS, I TAKE IT BACK..!!!! hehehehhehe

Big Al

Good to hear Al!

Keep it cool with the low end!

Comment

Working...
                  X