Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Belgium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Belgium

Hi folks,

I'm a 41 year old drummer who's been playing since 15-16 or something. I've always played the drums with a passion. I absolutely love the instrument. From day 1 I played in bands (just imagine how horrible band number 1 was lol). The result was that my practice was always geared towards practicality - I always only learned what gave me immediate use in whatever band I was playing in at the time. The obvious problem with that is that I neglected theory and technique, which are things that take a long time before it yields practical use in every day playing.

My main kits for over 2 decades has been acoustic. I did buy a TD6 kit the day it came out and it has served me very well over the years.
    Over the decades, my main acoustic kit ended up being a real beauty. A starclassic Bubinga kit (2 up, 2 down) with all Istanbul Agop cymbals, for which I actually flew to Turkey to buy them straight from the source at the old factory. I drank tea with the owners while they were putting logo's on the cymbals I choose - that's how "fresh from the shelves" they were! Time of my life, amazing experience.

Little over 2 years ago, music life kind of fell apart. In 2018, I played in 3 bands. Beginning of 2019, that number was zero. The usual story I guess. People move, get married, get a bunch of kids,... and band practice became the victim as it gets harder and harder to get everyone in the same room at the same time. The result was devastating to me. We rented rehearsal space with a bunch of bands, all of which quit. On top of it all, the building got sold and we were kicked out. There I was, left alone in the dark with no place to play anymore and forced to stack my beautiful drums in the attic only to have them collect dust. I could not bear the idea of not being able to play. I also thought it was a terrible waste to stack such beautiful drums away - those things need to be played. If not by me, then by somebody else.

Faced with this new reality, I decided to do what I never expected to do: sell everything and go fully digital. I don't need a special rehearsal space in the middle of nowhere to play an e-kit, after all.
    It's a decision that still pains me till this day. But when the options are: keep the drums and not play or replace them with an e-kit and still play, it's kind of a no-brainer.

So I did. Got rid of everything for 5k on a saturday morning and bought myself a TD50k that same afternoon :-)

The irony is that for the past 2 years, I actually played the drums more then in the 10 years before that. And since I no longer have a band, I also no longer feel a need to only study those things that yield immediate practical use.

While I miss playing with real people, my playing has improved tremendously over the past 2 years by playing along with drumless tracks and actually finally sitting down and studying all those diddles and what not. :-)

It's also quite funny that while my drumming mates have had much trouble playing this past pandemic year, it has left me totally unaffected.

Eventhough I still miss my lovely bubinga's... I think it's safe to say that by now, I'm a total e-drum convert and I actually don't really see me going back to an acoustic kit and all the hassle that comes with it.

I feel like the tech today, what with the digital snare and ride (and soon the hats too! ), has come to such a level that - at least for the level I play on - there really is no reason to go back.

It is sooooo easy... Soooo plug and play. Amazing.

Welcome to the forum. Great introduction. Glad you’re getting a lot of enjoyment from your new eKit. Like so many others, I miss play music with my friends. It looks like some of us might be able to get together in July but some I may never see again due to the various health issues we are facing as we get older. Have fun!
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Nice intro mate. Sounds like you got the bug alright. That was the main things for me, volume and being able to jam along with any band I wanted. I have not gigged since the end of the 80's so I'm too old to do it now anyway. Hav'nt got the stamina anymore and certain bits dont always work like they should or use to. Then I think that at 72, I am the oldest guy here, and should be fading away gracefully, not playing along to rock bands lol. But there ya go. We all have to do our thing.

Have fun with your new kit mate, and don't dwell on the Akit. We all did that at one time.

Comment

Thanks guys. :-)

Ow, I have the bug allright. Not in the crazy-tech sense. Rather, in the convenience-sense.
        I'm especially amazed how close to "the real thing" the tech has gotten in terms of overall feel.

That's also why I spend so much money on the 50. The full-scale digital snare and ride did it for me. I didn't like the sound of the module at all though.
        I considered selling and buying the mimic, but after trying it out, I felt like it didn't match up in terms of feel. Eventhough it sounded a lot better. So I half-solved it with VEX packs.
        And now that the 50X upgrade is announced, I'm pleased I held on to it.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
          Nice intro mate. Sounds like you got the bug alright. That was the main things for me, volume and being able to jam along with any band I wanted. I have not gigged since the end of the 80's so I'm too old to do it now anyway. Hav'nt got the stamina anymore and certain bits dont always work like they should or use to. Then I think that at 72, I am the oldest guy here, and should be fading away gracefully, not playing along to rock bands lol. But there ya go. We all have to do our thing.

Have fun with your new kit mate, and don't dwell on the Akit. We all did that at one time.
          Ah John, a little Bell Bottom Blues reference. Nice.
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_FTFqDZZEk

You said it Jim.

And this aint our Eric, its the other one.
            Last edited by John.b; 04-19-21, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X