Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

INTRODUCTIONS ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Hey y'all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey y'all...

I've been taking weekly drum lessons since January, ordered my first drum set (a TD17-KVX) over a month ago, and still waiting for it to get here! <grrrr...> Getting real tired of trying to learn to play a drum set from this weird assortment of practice pads & plastic cymbals!!

Anyway, trying to make good use of the time waiting (and waiting, and waiting and waiting...) for my set to arrive, and thinking this might be a good forum to join for the inevitable questions I'm sure will come up, and to lurk in to learn a few things.

>>=Steve=>>
    >>=Steve=>>
    Roland TD17-KVX / Headrush FRFR112 / Reaper / Audacity / Headrush Gigboard

Welcome to the forum and to drumming. You’re doing all the right things. Taking lessons will really get you off to a great start. You’ve come to the right place to get answers to your questions as long as you post in the correct sections of the forum. Congratulations on the new kit as well. Have fun!
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Hi Steve your TD17 kit will be well worth waiting for mate. The kit comes with mesh heads but you will probably want larger drum sizes. I have Diamond toms, 10" and 12" from a long time ago. There may be other Mesh Head drums on the market now that are worth looking at.

Have a good one mate.

Comment

Thanks. Everything I've encountered in researching which set to buy has pretty universally identified this kit as offering great performance at a decent price-point. My instructor started moving me from the traditional rudimentary snare drum stuff into drum set work about 6 weeks ago, and it's really been frustrating to not have a real set to work with. Even trying to do play-along with Sousa marches has been less than inspiring - the "thud" from my mesh practice pad just doesn't have the aural cachet of a proper snare drum!!
        >>=Steve=>>

Comment

Hang in there. It will be great when you finally get it.
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
            Hang in there. It will be great when you finally get it.
            I'm sure it will be. The waiting is hard though. Spent some time yesterday looking at unboxing and setup videos!

Trying to make use of the "downtime" too. While I knew I wanted to completely re-arrange my music room so that my computer would be within easy reach of the drum set, keyboard and guitar amps, I wasn't planning on doing that until after the kit arrived. Now I'm getting ready to pull everything off the walls and start filling screw-holes and repainting so I can get much of that work done before the set arrives. Sure beats watching videos of other folks playing their sets!
            >>=Steve=>>

Comment

Makes sense. It’s easier to fix up a room that is not filled up with drums. Get the room the way you want and it will feel better when you sit down to play. Don’t forget that practice pads are still great for conditioning and practicing.

Comment

Okay - I finally got my drum set about two weeks ago!! I told my salesman at Sweetwater to give me a holler when it came in, which he did, and I drove down to Fort Wayne to pick it up (they're only 2 1/2 hours away from me).

Had the room almost ready, and after assembling the kit, it only took a couple of days to get everything put back together and wired up! Woo-Hoo!!

Updated Music Room 202009a.jpg

Updated Music Room 202009b.jpg

>>=Steve=>>

Comment

Congratulations on the new kit. The room looks great. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Comment

That is looking good Steve. Keyboard, guitars and drums, you can form your own band and not leave the room. Can you sing ????

Comment

Thanks re the room. My wife & friends are teasing me that re-configuring this room has become a hobby of it's own. I'm a woodworker (three of the guitars on the wall I custom built) so cobbling together shelves, work surfaces etc. is second nature. I re-did this room when the LOML bought me a Headrush Gigboard and FRFR112 amplified speaker which replaced both of my amps. It got re-configured again when I acquired the keyboard, and now again after adding the drum kit. I hope I'm done for awhile.

Originally posted by John.b View Post
                      Can you sing ????
                      Unfortunately, no - and I'm not good on keyboard. I use it mainly when working out theory-stuff. Much easier to visualize on a keyboard than a guitar or bass. But I am getting close to that one-man-band thing, since I can now lay down tracks for guitar & bass, and pretty soon can start to put in some beats & fills. The LOML has a really nice voice, and can carry a tune MUCH better than I can. She has NO sense of rhythm, but that doesn't affect her singing. I've tried to coax her into letting me record her, but haven't succeeded in that yet. My BIL plays in a gigging bar-band, and has been looking to explore genres other than drunk-dancing R&R. We had a "Covid visit" in his garage on Labor Day weekend, with me on bass and him on keys & vocals. We've talked about swapping DAW tracks to put something together. I use Reaper and he uses Pro Tools, but he's willing to pony up the $60 for a non-commercial Reaper license, so we should be able to do that pretty easily.

>>=Steve=>>

Comment

OK so you could rent it out as a recording studio. Get some extra bucks and maybe help out on drums, (for a price).

Comment

Working...
                        X