Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

This forum is for introductions only! Do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Electronic drum noob here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic drum noob here.

Hey all. I'm a veteran of acoustic drums, and I just decided to drop a load of money into a Roland TD-50KV after weeks of researching my options. I got the kit mainly as a way to have something here at the apartment I can play to stay fresh, as my kit is housed in a studio elsewhere. I had the luck of being able to get the best. I heard Roland was the best, and if it's good enough for Neil Peart, good enough for me.

As such, I'll likely have some noob questions (though I'll try to search for answers before posting) and I hope this isn't off-putting to anyone. Cheers from a former American living the dream in Finland.

Welcome to the forum. No need for me to advise you to buy your second kit first. Spend some time with the manual while sitting at the kit to get familiar with the module. In 5 years with a TD30, Iíve barely scratched the surface but thatís because I donít really build my on kits or record with it. Check out the VEX kits. Most importantly, have fun!
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

It's a beautiful kit. I have found the VEX Infinity pack for the TD-50 very exciting to play. Important one shots and mixing them into your kits in different ways is great too. The TD-50 and Mimic need some tweaking to likely get you where you want to be. But that's part of getting into the high end gear. It's not "out of the box" easy.

Comment

Welcome! Iíve had my td50kv for about a month and am still enjoying the playability. I also have the Vex Infinity pack and the sounds are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by CygnusX1 View Post
          Hey all. I'm a veteran of acoustic drums, and I just decided to drop a load of money into a Roland TD-50KV after weeks of researching my options. I got the kit mainly as a way to have something here at the apartment I can play to stay fresh, as my kit is housed in a studio elsewhere. I had the luck of being able to get the best. I heard Roland was the best, and if it's good enough for Neil Peart, good enough for me.

As such, I'll likely have some noob questions (though I'll try to search for answers before posting) and I hope this isn't off-putting to anyone. Cheers from a former American living the dream in Finland.
          The manual you get with the TD-50 is about 5 sheets of toilet paper written in 18 languages. It will leave you wanting. There is a fantastic series of articles put out mostly by Roland artists who helped program the kits:

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/the-d...f-up-your-kick

This is the first of a series. Scroll to the bottom of the article and you will find many more including some great tips thrown out every once in a while in between more robust instructions that are extremely easy to follow. I know Simon Ayton wrote some of these, he's quite knowledgeable

More intense manuals for the TD-50 you won't get with your kit can be found online: TD-50_DataList_eng03_W /TD-50_MIDI_Imple_e03_W /and TD-50_Reference_eng03_W
          They are too big or I would attach them.
          Last edited by Howstamychi; 06-08-19, 11:08 PM. Reason: revision

Comment

Hi Mate I am an old timer, gigged with A;s for over 25 years, then after a hiatus, my wife bought me a TD6V back in 2006 and although it has been highly customised over the years it still gets a good hammering every day. I thought it was a bit Micky Mouse when I first got it but it proved me wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X