Announcement

Collapse

Foyer Posting Guidelines

This forum is for introductions only! Do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Newbie Drummer from Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Drummer from Ontario, Canada

At the ripe age of 59, I have decided to try to learn how to play the drums. I purchased a Yamaha DTX452K "starter kit" a week ago and have played for a couple of hours with getting it set up and comfortable. So far so good and the set seems quite solid. I set up my old iPhone with a USB adapter and installed the DTX402 app and tweaked the hi-hat and some volumes of the individual pieces. Everything now plays the way I want. Quite amazing actually.

Currently I am just banging away as I really have no musical skills. I have managed to figure out and play 1/8th hits on the hi-hat closed, kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 and can keep that going for a bit before I fall apart. Interestingly, after only a few hours of banging, it is starting to feel normal doing that particular beat. It will grow from there!

I am currently looking online for first lessons, rudiments and so on. Prior to last week I had no clue about drums other than hi-hat, snare and base drum. Now I know what a ride and crash symbol are and the different sounds they make as well as the 3 tom-tom drums.

My overall goal was to find something to keep my brain and coordination working, provide some overall body exercise and have FUN!

Yamaha DTX452K, Behringer K1800FX. A complete newbie to drum playing and no other musical experience (yet!). This is one of my bucket list items.

Check out Drumeo. Very well structured foundation course and lots of other stuff.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Playing drums is a great hobby. Consider taking some private lessons at least to get started so you donít develop any bad habits that you will have to unlearn down the road. Drumeo is also a great resource. Make sure youíre practicing with a metronome at least some of the time. Most important, have fun!
      Last edited by jimorlando; 02-11-19, 05:56 PM.
      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting started the way a lot of us did. I have been playing since 1963 and never had a lesson in my life. Just the watch and listen technique. Mind you, got to see a lot of great bands that way but there ya go, its all different now what with YouTube etc. Don't go bogging yourself with rudiments and reading mate. Do all the fun stuff first. This from an old timer. Have fun, that's all that matters.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am already watching the training videos put out by drumeo. I may sign up for the full package. I am going to check out drumroll as well. After a couple of weeks of banging away I am already regretting not starting this much sooner. I picked up a used Behringer keyboard amp so that I can also play without headphones too. Having a lot of fun already!
          Yamaha DTX452K, Behringer K1800FX. A complete newbie to drum playing and no other musical experience (yet!). This is one of my bucket list items.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake in spelling Drumeo so nothing to check out for drumroll.
            I have a Behringer amp as well but itís a little heavy for me to schlepp around.
            Glad youíre having fun.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
              Sorry, my mistake in spelling Drumeo so nothing to check out for drumroll.
              I have a Behringer amp as well but itís a little heavy for me to schlepp around.
              Glad youíre having fun.
              Yes, could not find anything training related for "drumroll". Figured that out after searching a few times! The Behringer is definitely heavy..

Comment

Focus on stick grip/handling and ergonomics first. That will determine your long-term success. Force yourself to do it right, from day one. Good luck and enjoy!
                E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

Working...
                X