Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New non-drummer becoming drummer...

Hi all,
    I've always wanted to play drums, and now that I'm a grown-up with a job and money I decided it's time. With little kids, it's an e-kit or nothing. After embarrassing myself banging away on the half-broken kits at Guitar Center, I managed to get a very lightly used DTX750k on craigslist. It's more than my wife wanted me to spend, but the deal was too good to pass up!

I've spend a couple short sessions on it so far and am having a blast, and looking forward to learning more about everything here. For now I'm trying to figure out how to set the thing up so I can reach everything without my back hurting!

Since I'm totally new any tips are welcome, especially bad habits that I can try not to develop!

Hi,
    l started out about 9 months ago and it's been great. I've always wanted to play drums but volume was always an issue. I can only give you the advice of a newbie, but I found it was important to learn how to sit balanced on the stool. I read that you should position yourself so that when you lift one or both feet you don't pitch forward. Doing this means your feet are not being used to balance you and therefore it makes it easier to develop your hihat foot technique as well as that for the bassdrum.
    I'd recommend you check out you YouTube for lessons on rudiments: single and double stroke rolls and paradiddles. Also learning the bass drum double-stroke is a must.
    Drumeo is a good resource for all the basic.
    l can confirm though that like any instrument practise makes perfect and I am still trying to get a handle on all the rudiments I mentioned... But it's great fun!

Comment

Welcome! Good tips... look for a good teacher, bad habits are hard to un-learn...
      'lectric drumma
      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to a great musical experience. YouTube is a great resource for learning. I agree with ‘lectric Drumma If you can afford it, try and take some private lessons to catch bad habits before they start.
        Last edited by jimorlando; 10-11-17, 05:07 PM.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Welcome! Let's see some pics of you and that monster! As for your back hurting, I agree with others, get a good teacher. Short of that there are a ton of FREE videos on YouTube and DRUMEO to help you get set up properly.

Have fun!

K ;-)
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Agreed get a teacher but make sure the kit parts are high enough so your not leaning onto them and get the kit as compact as you can so your not over reaching.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

here's drumeo's free lessons page
              http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

and here's their legacy lessons i started with
              http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/
              Yamaha DTX502 module, 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10 (hi-hat), PCY135.on a Roland MDS-7 rack.

Comment

Working...
              X