Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late introduction

Hello,

I have been around here for a bit, but I don't think I've ever introduced myself. My name is Paul. I am new to drums. I've been playing bass for a couple churches through the years and a small jazz band at my church's music school. My son was the drummer and he recently went to college, so I decided that I would try to learn and take his place. I recently acquired a Td-10 from my church and have been working at getting it set up. Elbow surgery a few weeks ago has put my learning into a holding pattern, but hopefully I can get back to it in a month or so. I am going to try to be somewhat active here, although my inexperience does not allow me to offer much. See you around the forums.

hi there! i'm a bass player, too.

perhaps you can work on your pedals while your elbow heals.
    New kit in progress: 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10 (hi-hat)
    Yamaha PCY100 on the way

Comment

I actually thought about that. I guess maybe I should actually do it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I broke my elbow in March and had to have surgery and now I have a titanium plate and screws that allowed the broken pieces to heal. I finished physical therapy in mid July. I was not allowed to play for a while and when I was allowed, I could not strike with my left so I played cross stick and worked on my feet. I liked playing bosa nova beats which was fun. I'm still working on stick control with my left. It takes time to get your strength back.

Below is a before and after.

Good luck with your recovery.
        Last edited by jimorlando; 09-14-17, 09:59 AM.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Welcome. I practiced feet a lot last year after my shoulder surgery - it's great fun to challenge yourself and feel improvement in "new" areas
          Pearl Mimic Pro, Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Welcome and enjoy! Was the elbow surgery on your leading arm? Meaning, right handed, right hand, or left handed, left hand? If it is, it might be a good opportunity to not only work on your feet, but strenghten your other hand, trying to use it as your leading hand (see open-handed playing).

Stijn
            'lectric drumma
            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Working...
            X