Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drummer intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drummer intro

Hi Friends! I'm Cole Johnson and I live in Berkeley, CA. Married last June and spent our honeymoon in Vietnam for three weeks. Because I now have a wife, I decided to go electronic......I've completed assembling my new (and first) all electronic drum kit! If the explanation below sounds disjointed, It's because it's three postings put together. My new electronic kit includes my "kick drum/amplifier/speaker", (as seen in the DIY section here), unit, an 8", 10", 12", and two 13" mesh head trigger drums, and both electronic cymbals (2) and three bronze Gen16 Acoustic/Electric cymbals. I took awhile and cost some money, but I sourced everything on Ebay and was able to purchase some components used (except the cymbals). My "kick drum speaker system" helps keep the rack secured to the top tomtom mount for extra stability. I use a hammered metal 13" Hart Dynamics snare...I mounted an extra piaso inside the shell wall where the cross stick lands, for more rim attack. I use the same drum as the snare for a 13" floor tom. Going up to the rack, I have two 12" pintech toms and a 10" pintech tom. I use a Pintech 8 for effect triggers. I have 1 14" Hart e-cymbal 2 crash cymbal. I decided to go with the Zildjian Gen16 cymbal system mostly due to the lameness of e Hi-Hats and the feel of a 20" ride cymbal. All cymbals are the newer buffed bronze and not the older nickel with the newer direct source pickups. I have a pair of 14" Hi-Hats with two pickups instead of one for fuller sound, a 20" ride, an 18" crash, and a 16" crash. I've decided that I'm going to sell the 16" and 18" crashes and go with electronic ones. The feel is less important and I only use one zone for crash. My original V Drum kit came with the hard rubber knob trigger on a foot pedal base. Just looking at it made me sad and never even tried using it. Instead, I used my 22" acoustic BD and made a drum trigger, amp, and 18" speaker, with the drum. I used a DDrum trigger with a mesh beater head, installed a plywood divider 3" from the head to form a separate speaker cabinet, and installed a second plywood piece into the front to mount the speaker. I then installed a sub-woofer amp onto the shell near the bottom of the drum and installed an XLR input jack. I stuffer the 3" beater head compartment with styrofoam peanuts and the speaker cabinet section with polyester batting. It sounds great and looks cool! Most importantly, it feels like my old bass drum. It is a heavy sucker though, but there's no need to carry around a separate low frequency cabinet to play out. Just smaller cabinets. I painted everything RED and I think that this looks and sounds like one bad ass drum kit! No "soft rock" for this beast! Time to go take it for a RIDE!!!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome! - VERY cool kit indeed!...

Cheers

Comment

Never seen a pillar box red kit before but I say 'why not'. Anyway its how you play them that matters. Welcome to the nuthouse mate.

Comment

Very cool, you sure dove in head first for your first ekit! Looks great!
        TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Awesome and keep the pics and fun coming! Nice kit!!!!

K ;-)
          My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
          E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
          A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
          A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
          X