Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another newbie... and "rarely have I been so wrong!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie... and "rarely have I been so wrong!"

Hello everyone, another newbie checking in....

As a complete drumming beginner I recently bought a TD-4K (poverty spec!) which I figured would more than exceed my needs. I have to say right off the bat that this forum was amazingly helpful in the run up to buying V-drums - how did we ever research anything in the "good old days" before online forums/reviews eh?

As a responsible family member I visited my local music shop first to hit a few pads and kick the bass on a TD-11K to see how loud it would be, all in all, not too bad I thought, especially since the kit will be set up in the attic anyway. "You can play these kits at night and no-one would know" said the cheerful salesman..... well he obviously hasn't tried because rarely have I been so wrong!

With the vibration through the rack you can hear everything, even two floors down, With the sensitivity turned up and barely tickling the pads you can still hear the tapping in every room of the house. Not good.

So here I am on day 4 of my drumming path already considering an upgrade to an all mesh kit, or building a tennis ball riser ... not exactly what I had envisioned, but I'm happy to be here anyway.

Rich.

Wow mate. Have you got paper thin walls. OK the kick is a problem and there are threads here that tell you how to construct a tennis ball platform. As for the walls, well insulation blocks spring to mind. Anyway, what do i know. Im just an old git whos here cause the pubs shut.

Comment

Yep....sounds like you need a riser. Post some pics when you get all sorted out and welcome to the madness where we are all wrong, all the time lol.

K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Agreed on the riser. If you have any DYI ability, you can build your own mesh head pads very inexpensively too. I was lucky enough to have met my wife when I was on the road, so she met me as a drummer. I made sure both my Son's took up and instrument early on. I think I drive her crazy now, but she has to support the kids so I get away with keeping my kit in the living room!
        TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

It depends on the build of your space and the acoustics. When I first started playing my TD-30KV kit, I was still in a shared living space. And yes, I was shocked to get complaints from the neighbours above me, but that's what happened. My first complaint came within half an hour of playing! The bass drum pad sound traveled through the floor and so did the sound from hi-hat pads and foot pedal. A little while later, in the same place, we had friends come stay overnight. The next day, one of them decided to try the v-drums, which woke the rest of us immediately! I'm talking about headphone-only use here; the acoustic sound of the v-drum pads echoed through our entire place.

I've now got a music studio in a detached house and, as such, the v-drums have become more useful. The v-drums are on one floor and everyone else is on another floor. You can still hear the v-drums throughout the house, but it's much nicer for others because they can still watch TV, read a book, chat on the phone, and do other things. The sound of the v-drums is an acceptable background noise whereas when I play acoustic drums, other activities in the house are pretty much impossible due to the noise level. Keep in mind though, the noise from v-drums is still too loud for when others are sleeping.

Based on my own experience and what I've seen from others, the gist is... v-drums aren't quiet enough for shared living spaces. The only place I've found v-drums really do work is for keeping the sound away from neighbours in other detached houses. Those neighbours no longer know when I'm practicing because they never hear me. But, neighbours in shared living spaces... oh you bet they can hear you!

Actually, I'll add one caveat. At one point, we were briefly in a new apartment that had seriously thick cement floors. I'm talking six inch thick cement floors plus various layers of wood and insulation on top. In that environment, the v-drums worked, but if you're in an older building, it's a no-go or you're depending on the willingness of your neighbours above and below you. For drummers in that situation, the best thing to do is talk to your neighbours BEFORE you start playing and come to agreement about what times are okay.

Comment

Working...
          X