Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New vdrum voyager.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vdrum voyager.

Well hello there. I'm not new to electric, but I've not had a roland simce the td7. I've been playing on the same Yamaha kit since 2003. New pads or cymbals when I needed, and I traded up from the dtxpress to a dtxpress4.
    A ccouple of years ago I started to have trouble with my hands on the rubber pads, so I just abandoned it, and only played at practice.
    Time goes by, and we start adding covers, suddenly my inability to practice at home is a pain. I see an alesis dmx7 for $200 on cl, and grab it. I'm figuring that the updated snare, and moving cymbal triggers might do the trick. And, they do for a while, but those toms are even worse than ten year old foam.
    Now, I dont have the patience to wait till I save 2-3k for something worth playing on. So, I figure I'll build one and buy the brain.
    So far I have a some pieces together, and I'm doing my research. Since I keep ending up here from my net searches, figured I might as well settle in, and start reading.
    See ya around.
    Alesis DM7X

Welcome and take some pics of your progress! You know, the DIY section here is TREMENDOUS for help and ideas. Making your own mesh heads/shells with triggers is easy.

K ;-)
    Last edited by Kenster; 10-21-14, 12:04 PM.
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thanks. I never considered making heads, just triggers. I have a rhythm traveler dying to be an electric, making my own heads will speed up the process. Since most of the process is working for my next pay check.
      Alesis DM7X

Comment

Hi Rhythmic. Welcome to the forum mate. There are some very bright guys here and all are more than willing to help. Unfortunately Im not one of them. Im just a throw back from ancient acoustic drumming that is trying to drum out his daze on an old TD6v kit that I got back in 2006. OK so I have 10 & 12 in mesh heads now but Im still an ignorant git. Too old too change now, but then, who gives a sh-t anyway.

Comment

No one that matters will care. Thanks for the welcome, John.
          Alesis DM7X

Comment

Welcome, no need to make your own heads, you can buy them cheap enough and they last a really long time. I dislocated my wrist on the TD7 pads when they first came out, so I feel your pain. The mesh heads are great to play on, I recommend the Zildjian Gen 16 cymbals too. You won't even know your playing electronics, until you change a sound and think how cool that is, lol.
            TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post
              Welcome, no need to make your own heads, you can buy them cheap enough and they last a really long time. I dislocated my wrist on the TD7 pads when they first came out, so I feel your pain. The mesh heads are great to play on, I recommend the Zildjian Gen 16 cymbals too. You won't even know your playing electronics, until you change a sound and think how cool that is, lol.
              Thanks for the welcome.
              I hear ya, but I'm already in process. When i go to replace, I'll go for Roland or ballistec II's. My main problem now is money, and the alesis toms are worse than the Yamahas.
              I just ordered quartz triggers for the toms and snare. I'm going to build the bass drum, for the experience mostly. Replacing the piezo later on will be cheaper than replacing the whole trigger.
              Alesis DM7X

Comment

Working...
              X