Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello V-Drummers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello V-Drummers!

Brand new here, so thought I should introduce myself...
    I never really considered myself a drummer. I was a frontman and guitar player in a variety of 80's hair bands. Toured the eastern US and Canada right thru the 80's when there were big rock clubs everywhere. In the early 90's I retired and started doing a lot of live sound work, mixing everything from local bands in small clubs to big national shows for 10's of thousands of people. In the mid 90's I built my recording studio and bought my first drum kit.
    Working with drum sounds, both live and in the studio, is one of my favorite things in this world. I went thru some fairly cheap kits and finally realized that I enjoyed playing drums enough that I should get a kit that I really like to play. I put together a beautiful DW kit and have played and recorded it for years.
    Earlier this year I moved from the bitter cold of northern new england to the 'burbs of Nasville. I used to have a separate space for my studio, but now it's in a spare room in the house. It's a good room, I'm not complaining. But it's not isolated from the rest of the house very well, and I have two young children, so I decided that it was time to make the move to a V-kit. I basically traded my DW kit for a new TD-30k kit.
    I'm not entirely new to V-Drums. I have a good friend who had a TD-20 kit for a long time. And another friend owns a music store where I have spent many hours over the last 10 years playing the demo kits.
    I have two specific intentions for my new kit. I plan to work on dialing in the most realistic sounds I can get to use for recording. I'll probably start with some VEX kits - love what those guys are doing! - and run the individual instruments out to separate tracks. I'm hoping I can approximate the pleasure of mixing a set of drum tracks the way I did with my DW kit. I do realize that it won't be the same, but I have high hopes that it'll be satisfying. I'm sure I will post my trials and tribulations here...
    I also intend to find a bunch of sans-drums tracks, plug in my headphones and practice, practice, practice.
    And I'll be trolling these forums for tips and tidbits and whatnot.
    Equipment: TD-30k, DW 5k dbl pedal and hh stand. Studio (currently) based around Sonar 8.5, Presonus Firestudio tube, too many mics, preamps, etc., to list. Embarrassing amounts of guitar gear.

Wow, great intro and WELCOME!!!! How about some pics of Le Studio et al?
    K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Thanks! I'm still in the process of setting up and cleaning up, so I've only taken pics of one end of the room where my drums and guitars are set up...
      I'll post pics of the rest of the studio soon.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Equipment: TD-30k, DW 5k dbl pedal and hh stand. Studio (currently) based around Sonar 8.5, Presonus Firestudio tube, too many mics, preamps, etc., to list. Embarrassing amounts of guitar gear.

Comment

Welcome!!!! sounds like you like it all, drums, guitar, sounds, recording etc.
        I just bought a Two Rock 22 watt Studio Pro Plus man this a sweet amp. So I can't talk too much about too much guitar gear! LOL
        Also have my 2 Fender amps, Handmade boutique Amp and a Vox AC 15
        I probably have enough now! LOL!
        Cheers
        NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Awesome and welcome! What band or bands did you play with back then? I was on the same circuit, just wonder if we ever bumped into each other back in the day, lol. I did that Circuit with Trixx which then became Noy-Z-Boyz, and finally Bang La Terra. though the last one primarily played in Mexico when I joined them.
          TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sycle1 View Post
            Welcome!!!! sounds like you like it all, drums, guitar, sounds, recording etc.
            I just bought a Two Rock 22 watt Studio Pro Plus man this a sweet amp. So I can't talk too much about too much guitar gear! LOL
            Also have my 2 Fender amps, Handmade boutique Amp and a Vox AC 15
            I probably have enough now! LOL!
            Cheers
            Wow, great amp collection. I haven't tried a Two Rock, but I hear nothing but good things from people who have.
            For years I've done the rack mounted guitar rig. Recently I've gotten back into the tube amp and pedals rig. Right now I just have the Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier and an old Cube 60. The Mini Rec is quite nice. Much sweeter sound than the big version. I recently played thru a borrowed Suhr Badger and I'm completely in love. Just a matter of time....

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post
              Awesome and welcome! What band or bands did you play with back then? I was on the same circuit, just wonder if we ever bumped into each other back in the day, lol. I did that Circuit with Trixx which then became Noy-Z-Boyz, and finally Bang La Terra. though the last one primarily played in Mexico when I joined them.
              Trixx sounds familiar. I played with a variety of bands, but the ones that covered the most territory would have been Sinema (the logo made the S look like a C - we had big projection screens and cameras back in the early '80s. It was very cool at the time), Gunner (dumb name, but it was a very good band) and Red Heaven.
              I was always based out of New England and New York. Never made it west at all, just up and down the east coast.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading and seeing your progress on your new set up.
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Working...
                X