Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here I go again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go again

Hi everybody,
    I'm stepping back into the E-drum world again a long time after being an owner of the old Simmons SDS-v drums (which I still have).

I've been a drummer for around 45 years (I'm 50).
    I've had a fairly bad taste about non acoustic drums for a very long time and I have a general distrust of the espoused dynamics of modern pads and modules, but I'm now, very willing to keep an open mind to new drum technologies because I think their time has finally fully arrived.

I want to build my own custom acoustic conversion, and I hope I can build a very enjoyable setup.
    I'm trying to research everything from triggers to heads and modules that will all work together, but it's a very complex undertaking. I think I'll do okay

My first plan is to build up some pads from a used Pearl Rhythm Traveller set I got last week. I'm thinking of picking up some double triggers from QuartsPercussions and probably put it together with a cake pan build. The cake pans because I can have the rim sensor in the middle of the pan so it picks up evenly all around. Since I'm unfamiliar with trigger builds, I don't know if this is important, but I want consistency. If I can make a rim trigger consistent at least around the front of the rim, I would be happy to entertain simpler concepts.

Nexxt will be a module, and it will probably be a Yamaha 502, because of the price. I'm hoping to get this thing built to trigger VSTs mostly, but again, I 'm very new to this and the learning curve might be daunting.
    My choice of Yamaha module is because the cymbals are cheaper than Roland and I can have a proper hihat stand at a lower price point. Again, I don't know if a hihat stand is something needed, or if I can learn to use a hihat controller. Dunno. Maybe I can learn to play differently and not so closed into the idea of mimicking acoustic feel.

I'm hoping to be able use this for conceptualising and finalizing my drum parts for recordings.

Thanks for listening and thanks for letting me introduce myself to you all,

óWalter

Welcome to the forum, Walter!
    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

If you go with a Yamaha, and want to use piezos for both the head and the rim, you will need to plug in the snare into a Tom input. You can always use the snare input for another 3-zone cymbal.

Do you already have a reasonably fast computer and audio interface? If yes, then yes, the Yamaha DTX502 is quite cheap for triggering VSTs.

If you need to buy a new computer and a new audio interface, that would probably more expensive than buying a 2-Box module and installing your VSTs on it. With the 2-Box, you can get VST sounds without an extra computer and interface.

Good luck and remember to take a bunch of pictures... we LOVE pictures!
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thank you Perceval!

I have a 2.9 ghs icore7 mac with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram.

I will need an audio interface even though the yamaha has usb connectivity?

One Q about cake pans; should I get 2 or 3 inch depth?

Thanks much everyone! I think this will be a really cool endeavor!

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
          that would probably more expensive than buying a 2-Box module and installing your VSTs on it. With the 2-Box, you can get VST sounds without an extra computer and interface.
          Could you explain this little more for me? are you saying 2box modules can install vst from the module itself? so if I have BFD, can I install those sounds to 2box? I've been using only Roland so I don't know anything about 2box... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdogbiscuit View Post
            Thank you Perceval!

I have a 2.9 ghs icore7 mac with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram.

I will need an audio interface even though the yamaha has usb connectivity?

One Q about cake pans; should I get 2 or 3 inch depth?

Thanks much everyone! I think this will be a really cool endeavor!
            Your computer is fast enough indeed. For personalized playback and practice, that should be enough. Should you go into performing with that setup, an audio interface will give you a little better latency and control over your sound.

One step at a time. Learn about the DTX502 and make sure it is what you need. For triggering VSTs only, it is hard to beat, although the MegaDrum people might have a say here!

Comment

Originally posted by wani87 View Post

Could you explain this little more for me? are you saying 2box modules can install vst from the module itself? so if I have BFD, can I install those sounds to 2box? I've been using only Roland so I don't know anything about 2box... thanks

Have a stroll onto the 2Box forum and you will se that they can import Superior drummer or BFD samples into the module. Makes for one sweet setup, but there is a little bit of a learning curve.

Comment

If you're going down the VST route then take a look at a Megadrum.

Comment

Welcome, looking forward to seeing pics and hearing about your build! Good luck!
                  TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by airflamesred View Post
                    If you're going down the VST route then take a look at a Megadrum.

​I've been looking at it, but I'm not sure if it's over my head. I'm just barely okay with electronic builds and linux. If I get stuck, I'm screwed.
                    Last edited by Mrdogbiscuit; 10-04-14, 12:18 AM. Reason: Added text.

Comment

Welcome and post some pics of your progress!!

K ;-)
                      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                        If you go with a Yamaha, and want to use piezos for both the head and the rim, you will need to plug in the snare into a Tom input. You can always use the snare input for another 3-zone cymbal.

Do you already have a reasonably fast computer and audio interface? If yes, then yes, the Yamaha DTX502 is quite cheap for triggering VSTs.

If you need to buy a new computer and a new audio interface, that would probably more expensive than buying a 2-Box module and installing your VSTs on it. With the 2-Box, you can get VST sounds without an extra computer and interface.

Good luck and remember to take a bunch of pictures... we LOVE pictures!
                        I've narrowed things down to the Yamaha DTX502 and 2Box myself. Do you know if the DTX502 snare input can handle two single zone cymbals? If so, I think that would give me the inputs I need

Thank you.

Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Just to add to some of the DTX502 comments, this module is so cost effective you could buy two, and if you are a Mac user, you can input both into your Mac for double the inputs for under $500. Macs have the ability to "aggregate" two USB MIDI device into your DAW which is pretty cool. Here's how to do this: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1215
                          Most users can probably get away with splitting triggers in a single DTX502, but for those who want the dual zone toms etc, this can be a reasonable option.
                          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdogbiscuit View Post

​I've been looking at it, but I'm not sure if it's over my head. I'm just barely okay with electronic builds and linux. If I get stuck, I'm screwed.
                            Im sure there is some body here that can unscrew you. Welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X