Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Introduction

    Hello All! I've been a member here for quite some time, but this is my first real post. I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe contribute a bit to this community. I am 35 years old and have been playing on and off since I was 12. I just picked up a TD-30 and am trying to get back into it. I will upload some pictures of my kit when I get to my laptop. My main problem right now is that I had a massive stroke about 3 years ago. Luckily I can still use both my arms and legs, but my chops have really suffered. I can't do things with my right side that I used to be able to do when I was 13 years old. Nevertheless, I praise God for my recovery. Well, that's about it for right now. Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to becoming part of this community!

  • #2
    Here are some pictures of my kit:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice kit

      Comment


      • #4
        Man really nice kit. What happened to cause a stroke at 32?

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome, and that's a really nice kit you have there! I hope your recovery is going well!

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you all for your kind words!


            The reason I had the stroke; My left corotid artery dissected (tore) which formed a clot which completely occluded blood flow to the left side of my brain. This is normally cause by being in a violent car accident or by getting your neck adjusted by a chiropractor, but neither of those occured in my case. It was considered idiopathic (without known cause). The tear I had was so crazy bad that the surgeon told my family that there was about a 50% chance that if he tried to fix it, my artery would tear open completely inside my head and I would die on the table. I thank God that did not happen.

            My recovery is going great! If you met me in person you would find me to be about 100% normal, until I got behind the drums. I really need some excercises for my right foot, especially playing 2 hits quickly. My left foot is, for the first time in my life, way better than my right!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Overtorque View Post
              Hello All! I've been a member here for quite some time, but this is my first real post. I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe contribute a bit to this community. I am 35 years old and have been playing on and off since I was 12. I just picked up a TD-30 and am trying to get back into it. I will upload some pictures of my kit when I get to my laptop. My main problem right now is that I had a massive stroke about 3 years ago. Luckily I can still use both my arms and legs, but my chops have really suffered. I can't do things with my right side that I used to be able to do when I was 13 years old. Nevertheless, I praise God for my recovery. Well, that's about it for right now. Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to becoming part of this community!

              So proud of you man! Hope your recovery continues to go well, keep playing!
              TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm jealous of your bass drum!
                TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you for your encouragement. You would not be jealous of my playing though. I have miles to go...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good thing you decided to take up drumming, it must be a rather effective way to recover from a stroke.
                    Drumming has helped me quite alot with recovering from illness. I've had 4 spinal surgeries that has lead to my right foot being a bit sluggish sometimes. I also managed to suffer a brain aneurysm about 3-ish months ago, and even though I don't actively drum at the moment (still building my A2E kit), airdrumming and stuff like that in generall has really helped me getting some control over my legs back And as BWaj said: That bassdrum is sexy as hell!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, you are lucky to still be here! Aneurysms are serious stuff. May I ask how old you are?

                      I was actually a drummer since I was 12 years old, so losing my chops is really aggravating.

                      The bass drum plus 4 toms and a snare will be for sale soon. All from Diamond, same pattern and everything. Thank you for the compliment!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Overtorque View Post
                        Wow, you are lucky to still be here! Aneurysms are serious stuff. May I ask how old you are?

                        I was actually a drummer since I was 12 years old, so losing my chops is really aggravating.

                        The bass drum plus 4 toms and a snare will be for sale soon. All from Diamond, same pattern and everything. Thank you for the compliment!
                        I'm 23 believe it or not :P I have a thing called Loeys-Dietz Syndrome, messes up all kinds of things in my body. 23 years old and I've done 23 surgeries so far. Keeping the Age/Surgery-ratio steady at 1!
                        Not much info about Loeys-Dietz out there, but if you want you could check out http://www.loeysdietz.org/en/medical...haracteristics
                        It's a genetic dissorder that affect the connective tissue in the body, that's why different parts of my body has basically broken down on their own sporadically.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheYardbird View Post
                          I'm 23 believe it or not :P I have a thing called Loeys-Dietz Syndrome, messes up all kinds of things in my body. 23 years old and I've done 23 surgeries so far. Keeping the Age/Surgery-ratio steady at 1! Not much info about Loeys-Dietz out there, but if you want you could check out http://www.loeysdietz.org/en/medical...haracteristics It's a genetic dissorder that affect the connective tissue in the body, that's why different parts of my body has basically broken down on their own sporadically.
                          I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from that. I did follow the link you gave me and it sounds pretty bad. The doctors did a bunch of genetic testing on me after I had my stroke, looking for a connective tissue disorder. Luckily they were all negative.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Overtorque View Post
                            I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from that. I did follow the link you gave me and it sounds pretty bad. The doctors did a bunch of genetic testing on me after I had my stroke, looking for a connective tissue disorder. Luckily they were all negative.
                            it does sound like **** to be honest. But I've learned to live with it. You get one life and all you can do is live with it (semi-pun). Every day of every year of me growing up has been about being sick so I might just well accept it and do the best of it. I hope others take after me and feel the same way.
                            Many people with other problems say that my life if worse than theirs, but then I remind them of that my everyday is being sick and getting operated on. Most other people go 30-40 years without having any problems and then something happens to them. And that affects their everyday life much more, even if it's just a ''minor surgery'' than my life gets affected by getting a new heart valve.

                            I'm used to it, most others aren't. They live a much toughers everyday than I do.
                            All you can do is keep pushing and overcome whatever obstacles you face.

                            I've had alot of self-destructive thoughts over the years, and someone once said to me: See your own ending like a tiny stone dropping into the ocean: It might not seem as much right away, but it always creates rings on the water, You affect your family wich affects your friends wich affect their friends and so on.

                            All one can do is to accept the hand they've been dealt and live with it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What you have written is most true. I have other health problems I have not revealed, and have passed through some dark times. I am truly blessed to have passed through them. So I'm guessing you had a aortic aneurysm and a new heart valve?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X