X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by willsud View Post
    Interesting

I've thought of a central hi-hat like Bill Bruford seemed to use in later years - that's a clever solution.
    I've been playing with the hi-hat in front of my snare for quite some time now. It was borne from using an e-kit, in fact. I noticed that I'd been bringing my hats further and further in on e-kit compared to my acoustic kit and really liked how it felt. I then bought a Remote Speedy Hat (had to import from the US!) so that I could replicate the setup on my acoustic kit too!

Here's an old pic that shows how my acoustic kit looks (my SPD-SX allows me to keep it along the e-kit theme )

20150307_171324_2.jpg

Comment

• Hi from Spain!
      First post here!. Some pics of my kit, td9 with some upgrades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pulsc View Post

I've been playing with the hi-hat in front of my snare for quite some time now. It was borne from using an e-kit, in fact. I noticed that I'd been bringing my hats further and further in on e-kit compared to my acoustic kit and really liked how it felt. I then bought a Remote Speedy Hat (had to import from the US!) so that I could replicate the setup on my acoustic kit too!

Here's an old pic that shows how my acoustic kit looks (my SPD-SX allows me to keep it along the e-kit theme )

20150307_171324_2.jpg

Many thanks - I've just looked up the Remote Speedy and it seems to be out of production - I've often been tempted to use a remote HH in the centre as although I mostly play 'open hand' with the left on the HH, it's nice to be able to access the HH with both.

Must have another look at the DW etc remotes

cheers,
        TD-50 upgrade kit, BFD3 on MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2Pre interface, SPD-sx, SPD-30, Roland KD 140 kick, PD-BC 128/108 pads, Gen16 AE pickups on Paiste signature cymbals, DW 6000 & 9000 Hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor

Comment

• Found this from a few years ago when looking for something on my drive this evening !

kit.jpg
          *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
          DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

• Very cool

Something about shiny cymbals that you don't get with rubber, in terms of looks at least.
            TD-50 upgrade kit, BFD3 on MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2Pre interface, SPD-sx, SPD-30, Roland KD 140 kick, PD-BC 128/108 pads, Gen16 AE pickups on Paiste signature cymbals, DW 6000 & 9000 Hardware, Allen & Heath mixer, Fohhn Xperience III PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor

Comment

Very cool

Something about shiny cymbals that you don't get with rubber, in terms of looks at least.
              ... at that point I didn't have any cymbally e-cymbals! (but I would have used non-cymbally pads as necessary)

Must admit, I'm bad when it comes to regularly cleaning my Paistes - it's just the lighting making look so shiny!
              Last edited by electrodrummer; 03-14-17, 07:24 PM.
              *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
              DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

• I find myself torn between continuing to use my Paistes, with overhead mikes in larger venues (I have the Gen 16 pickups fitted to them but the sound quality doesn't do the Paistes justice) and using the new ride and existing Roland cymbal shiny grey cymbal pads with the TD-50.

I clean my Paistes with Musicnomad Drum Detailer - in fact I apply it to everything - seems OK on the new ride too.

re. old e-drums, a relative played me an album I recorded in 1982 when visiting at the weekend and it featured my Synare and Pearl Syncussion - I gave away the latter to a collector in the US when it stopped working but I've never found anything that could do 'sample & hold' like the Syncussion - great gadget but hopeless live as too easily triggered by other instruments.

Comment

• I pulled the trigger on a new e-kit last week, it arrived last Friday, the 10th...I'm still tweaking/twiddling with it, but I've finally got it set up about how I want, but still dialing things in for recording (which is what I bought it for)...

Yamaha DTX532K:

I still have my DTX400, along with an extra PCY100 & cymbal booms I'd bought, so I've got 2 extra cymbals, & one pad I'm using with the new kit, although the extra pad kinda clutters things for me, I may end up ditching it or making a small DIY pad for a cowbell/tambourine/whatever...

I've also still got the FSR modded hi-hat pedal from the DTX400 that I may use with the new kit, but so far triggering vst's in Reaper I'm not sure I'll even need it, but it's nice to have the option if I ever decide to do that, should be plug-n-play like it was with the DTX400...

So far, I'm really impressed with the new kit, of course, it's still got the new car smell, but again, I'm impressed with the features the DTX502 module has...This is the kit I should've bought a couple years ago, I was just testing the waters then, but now I've got real interest in learning to play, & it's a lot of fun for me, matter of fact, it's way more fun than I ever imagined it would ever be...

The 3-zone snare is really nice, & I was surprised the tom pads are just a little bigger than the DTX400's pads...I was also surprised how much bigger the PCY135 cymbals are compared to the PCY100 I have, I knew they'd be bigger, but didn't expect this much of a difference...The RHH135 & kick pedal have made a tremendous difference already, hopefully things will only get better for me as I continue to learn/improve...

I also bought a Roc-N-Soc nitro base throne, & I cannot believe the difference it's made...Compared to the freebie throne that came with the DTX400 is about like comparing a go-cart to a Cadillac, there really is no comparison...

I wanna thank all you guys here for helping me along, & recommending things along my journey, while I still don't consider myself a drummer, I'm officially an e-drumming fool!!!
                  Yamaha DTX 400, Yamaha DTXplorer Module, Yamaha PCY100
                  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, EVH

Comment

• Looks great

I love the stuff that appears in the background of kit photos - not everyone has a Marshall cabinet next to their e-kit I imagine

Comment

• Setup from this afternoon at a high school.
                      10, 14, 20 DW Collectors shells and 14" performance maple snare. There is a 12" tom that gets swapped for the 10 from time to time.
                      18" K Custom dark crash, 18" Meinl traditional crash, 21" transition ride, 19" hybrid China, 15" k light hats.
                      Rockin the spd30 and rt30 triggers for those clean sounds.
                      Last edited by jpnorris82; 03-15-17, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Looks great

I love the stuff that appears in the background of kit photos - not everyone has a Marshall cabinet next to their e-kit I imagine
                        Thanks man!!! I'm primarily a guitarist-wanna-be, but I got so tired of programming the midi for the drums in my recordings, I decided to learn to play...I've actually had the DTX400 for a couple of years, but stuck 'em in the closet until a few months ago...Granted, I've got a long way to go, & I know I'll never catch up with a lot of you guys, but I'm learning, plus it's a lot more fun than I ever imagined!!!

I'm very fortunate to have the gear I've got, in 2015 I had some terrible financial issues that were compounded by some scary health issues, so I'm really fortunate just to still be alive...Regretfully, I ended up selling a bunch of gear that year, just trying to survive, but we've all gotta do what we've gotta do on this crazy ride called life...I'm very fortunate & also very grateful for everything I have...Honestly, it's just a miracle I'm still around, so the gear on top of that is just a big, amazingly cool bonus!!!

Hopefully, things are gonna continue to be good for me, as I'm hoping to buy another home this year (I had the place that was perfect for me, but lost it in 2015)...If that does happen, & works out how I hope, I'll have a dedicated music room where I can make all the noise I wanna, without having to worry about neighbors (right now I can make noise, but I have to pick/choose when I do so because of the neighbors)...If that happens like I hope/want, there may even be a real kit in my future...

BTW, there are some very, very nice kits/setups here, & your setup is one of 'em that I think are just great!!!
                        Yamaha DTX 400, Yamaha DTXplorer Module, Yamaha PCY100
                        Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, EVH

Comment

• Thanks, sounds like you've had an 'interesting' life - FWIW in one of my bands 4 of the 6 members (all 60+) have survived life-threatening illnesses and come through it to find good health again and keep playing -they say it makes them appreciate life all the more.

Best of luck with it all.

Comment

• First gig out with the TD-50 upgrade last night - went very well indeed and even had compliments from the guitarist on the sound quality (there's a rare event )

Comment

• Originally posted by RandyD View Post
                              This helps me to save on paper and toner and allows me to watch some online drum courses and YouTube videos and read from PDF sheet music right at the drum kit
                              Looks like Drumeo, eh?
                              Roland SPD-30, DIY Griffin 14"x5.5", VH-11/DW3K, DIY Kick/DW3K, Superior Drummer 2, Mac OS X, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, PROMARK Rebound 7A Activegrip, Vic Firth ?uestlove 7A, Roland Noise Eaters, currently DIYing Sonor Martini kit with DIY crossbar triggers and eBay IRIN Cymbals. WTB: Roland TD-12 or TD-9. FS: MegaDrum 32.

Comment

• This is my latest GASkit sporting both a TD-50 ("second" hand) and a TD-30 First of its kind maybe even?!

For those interested, if any..
                                I have both modules running side-by-side and therefore two kicks (KD-120/KD-7), two snares (PD-140/PD-125), two rides (CY-18/CY-15) and two hi-hats. The VH-12 on the TD-50 - with a duplicate hat on the right (CY-13R) which I can fix using the left foot switch and a FD-8/CY-12C combo for the TD-30 - which I can also fix - using the right foot switch.

I'm thinking of doing layering via MIDI, but since I'm not even completely done with the setup it might be a while.. However, if setup correctly I think it might be possible to reduce artifacts from both machine gunning and velocity layer switching by overlapping the velocities between the modules - kinda like interlaced video in the good old days..

It's not entirely done yet, but it plays and sounds really nice and even though I'm only using some of the kits i got along with it - mostly the artist kits. I gave an honest first-impression-review a couple of months ago in the original TD-50 thread - so I am quite aware of it's limitations - and I know I'm probably just ignoring the facts because I got a new toy - but I do believe the kit I played at the store was probably an earlier firmware version. At least the toms now seems slightly more nuanced and less gunning and I think they might have added some sort round-robin on the engine parameters. Since I have the TD-30 also plugged in, the comparison is relatively straight forward. My conclusion so far is that everything actually sounds a bit better (but quite different).

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
                                mbg-kit-20170321_004518.jpg

Last edited by qcaze; 03-20-17, 08:08 PM.
                                Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Working...
                                X