Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An updated pic of my setup. Faulty triggering and financial costs did it. Had to sell my pd8s and my 12" Tom is fubared.

Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

• Hey, 1 up and 2 down looks cool G! What's wrong with the 12? I thought the 10" was giving you all the trouble? PM me.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

• Hi ohlarikd,

Nice kit. What sounds do you assign to the PD-85's above the HH?

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
        After thinking about it for two years, I finally pulled the trigger last month. Found a good local deal on a TD-9SX that was practically new. Brought it home, and with the great help from this forum, and some good deals on eBay, this is what I have now:

Added another PD-85 and two more PD-105s, plus another CY8. I got a boom stand for the ride, and a Tama double tom holder for the two PD-85s. Also used two drumsplitters for now, with an eye towards a TD-6 module in the future.

Derek
        My compact kit.

Comment

• Originally posted by sciomako View Post
          Hi ohlarikd,

Nice kit. What sounds do you assign to the PD-85's above the HH?
          Good question. I asked for suggestions on this forum but unfortunately didn't get a reply. From top to bottom, I went with:

Dry T1, Tuning +100, Muffling Tape 1
          Dry T1, Tuning +60, Muffling Tape 1
          Dry T1, Tuning +20, Muffling Tape 1
          Dry T2, Muffling Tape 1
          Dry T3, Muffling Tape 1
          Dry T4, Muffling Tape 1

I think they sound pretty good. I listened to 'Natural Science' I believe to get that tuning. Maybe my ears aren't perfect, so my tuning may be off. I have to use muffling cause the PD-85 Dry T1 made weird ringing tones when tuned up high. Actually, these Dry sounds are the only ones that sounded remotely natural when tuned up.

I am hoping for a VEX sound for these upper Toms.

Derek
          Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
          Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

• Added an 8" DIY tom and some Roland mesh heads. Still waiting on some lugs to complete the new snare drum.

Rob
            Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Comment

• Nice clean kit Rob. Where did you get the cable snake? Is it one of the new ones for the TD-20X or did you make it? I can't find clear or silver bulk cable anywhere.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

• Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                Nice clean kit Rob. Where did you get the cable snake? Is it one of the new ones for the TD-20X or did you make it? I can't find clear or silver bulk cable anywhere.
                Yeah its getting there!

The clear cables come fitted to the MDS-25 rack (TD-20SX), its all pre installed within the tubing. I am unsure whether Roland will sell just the cables, I shudder to think what the price would be if they did!
                Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by rasoo View Post
                  Yeah its getting there!

The clear cables come fitted to the MDS-25 rack (TD-20SX), its all pre installed within the tubing. I am unsure whether Roland will sell just the cables, I shudder to think what the price would be if they did!
                  That explains it. I was told they will eventually sell them seperately....just not right now unless they have already started. It was a while back when I inquired. Yeah I shudder to think what they will cost too. That's why I was looking for bulk cable and hoping you found some. Those cables do look nice.

Comment

• I would hope so, I mean there would be a few kits out there getting close to running out of the warranty period, so spare parts should be available very soon.
                    Rob

Comment

• Well - kit is finally finished.... for now!

Everything is in place, the DIYs finally have their rubber bases and everything is looking wonderful! A few more things to add like bar triggers for cowbell, etc., a new stool, and I will be respraying the fronts of the PA bins cause they're a little rusty.

Rest of the pics in the album: (for anyone bothered to look!)
                      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=413

Peace.
                      2 x 2Box Drumit5 Modules, PD125, 4 x PD85, 4 x 10 PPD (Pan/Pipe Drum) DIYs, KD-120, VH12s, 4 x CY-12R, 1 x CY-15R, 1 x 8" Kit Toy Splash, 1 x 10" Kit Toy Splash, Kit Toy 13" China (Single Zone), PD7, Roland SPD-11, Roland SPD-S, Drum-tec rack, Pearl Throne.

Comment

• Looking really good.
                        What did you use for the "rubber bases" and have you sorted out the triggering on the pan-pipe drums?
                        . digitalDrummer
                        Review index

Comment

• When I say rubber bases, I just meant some rubber trim around the lower rim like the PD-105's... Clear english was escaping me earlier!

As far as the triggering on the DIY's - I'm happy with them working as single zones, the rim triggering is the problem. At the moment, the rims are turned off, and I will experiment soon with the fourth DIY that I made (but did not install on the kit).

I have also taken a bit of a different approach with the dual mesh on the middle two DIYs. (the far right one is a billy blast head. Not great, but will suffice for the moment).

I laid a large-ish piece of fly screen on the ground, then placed the Pearl head on top of it. The pulled the fly screen up around the outside of the pearl head, then put the hoop on top (all off trim of the mesh is now on the inside of the hoop). The bolted it down (it's VERY tight to begin with, but loosens off a little), then ran a stanley knife CAREFULLY around the inside of the hoop to cut the excess off, then put the rim guard back on.

Gives the same strength/feel as a roland head. Obviously my piece of flyscreen is useless the instant I take the head off though ... Have some of the kevlar mesh coming from the states - hoping this will do the job nicely.
                          2 x 2Box Drumit5 Modules, PD125, 4 x PD85, 4 x 10 PPD (Pan/Pipe Drum) DIYs, KD-120, VH12s, 4 x CY-12R, 1 x CY-15R, 1 x 8" Kit Toy Splash, 1 x 10" Kit Toy Splash, Kit Toy 13" China (Single Zone), PD7, Roland SPD-11, Roland SPD-S, Drum-tec rack, Pearl Throne.

Comment

• Looking good man ,

Like the rows of toms . I could see several spots where a few trigger poles would work into your configuration nicely . Bet you can hear that kick quite easily with those subs eh?

sam(otacon28)
                            Currently endorsed by Blastech (acoustic/electronic) drums ," Blaster " drum triggers , & " Ballistech II " drumheads. Also sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel .

Hear my music at :

http://o28music.bandcamp.com/
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/o28

Comment

• Originally posted by twistedmellow View Post
                              Well - kit is finally finished.... for now!

Everything is in place, the DIYs finally have their rubber bases and everything is looking wonderful! A few more things to add like bar triggers for cowbell, etc., a new stool, and I will be respraying the fronts of the PA bins cause they're a little rusty.

Peace.
                              Hi twistedmellow - I like that - especially the foldback .

Are you a heel down player? I think I'd whack my knees on the toms (that is if you set it up the right way around - wa wa wa waaaaa)

Comment

• Where is the rubber tube from and what size is it?
                                And you have the additional layer of screen below the Pearl head? So does it go over the bearing edge?
                                . digitalDrummer
                                Review index

Comment

Working...
                                X