Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12pc DIY

Hey folks

Been quite busy lately and completely forgot to post this over here.

Here are some shots of my baby. I've named her Desorma. This has been completely filled, drilled and cut down from a power tom state. All new hardware, wrapped and then triggered.

There is one finishing touch that still needs to be done, edge guards.... Just haven't had any time.

And yes, those are A's and K's Ah well I photoshop'd the holes to make it a little less hurtful to some

Hope you enjoy.

-Axe-
    P.S. Sorry about my office being a little bit of a mess.

P.S.S. And my Answer to Jman is.... (in truth, I still like yours better, Jerry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Axe_Grinder; 01-07-09, 07:33 PM.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Holy crap thatís a nice looking set!

I also like how you got the toms mounted so close to the snare. Must be very player friendly.
      TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Yeah... Nice looking set, I guess.

That whole thing cost you what, a couple-three hundred bucks?

Yes. I'm kidding.
        *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

im jealous. that is an awesome kit.
          My e-kit

My a-kit

Comment

OOOooo, Shiney!!!

Very NICE, Axe! I'll bet they look even better under the lights. What are the chances you can stand on the throne and get an overhead shot of the entire kit? You should be proud, as it does not look DIY at all! Beautiful set!!

Bob
            TD-12, TD-8, SPD-S, and a whole bunch of various triggers! ALL Roland stuff :)

Comment

AG - I am speechless. I love your kit. Did you name her Desorma from the French word?
              sigpic

Comment

Dude, that is a serious looking kit...Congrats...now we need to see her in action!
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Holy Shiznit - That's a lovely looking DIY job axe!

Comment

very nice!!! wow! make me wanna convert an A kit. my old A kit was alot like that. too bad i dont still have them.
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

That's awesome indeed. Something I'm curious about. How much acoustic noise do they make compared with a "normal" e-kit? I imagine a fair amount, because there's no getting away from the acoustic properties of a drum, but I'd like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by bobo88 View Post
                        What are the chances you can stand on the throne and get an overhead shot of the entire kit? Bob
                        I'm sure I can figure something out. I'll see what I can do this weekend. My Yamaha MS100DR monitoring system gets here tomorrow and I want to get everything set up and shoot some more pictures. I'll keep the overhead in mind when I do.

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                        AG - I am speechless. I love your kit. Did you name her Desorma from the French word?
                        Thanks Michael, no, I didn't name her after the French word. It was letter play. A while back I made up a kit on the TD-20 that I really liked. I called it "Desorma" after some of the letters in the kits that it emulated. It was made up of four kits. To be honest I don't remember what they were. I think they were a Tama, Premier, DW and............ Sonar I think.

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                        That's awesome indeed. Something I'm curious about. How much acoustic noise do they make compared with a "normal" e-kit? I imagine a fair amount, because there's no getting away from the acoustic properties of a drum, but I'd like to know.
                        Actually, there really isn’t that much of a difference... The cymbals have a different tone as opposed to being louder. More of a click instead of a clunk. I’m not sure if that describes it. Or even helps for that matter. Maybe I'll do a room mic. this weekend. I know Jerry (Jmanword) has done some nice room mic. sounds. As for the drums themselves, the toms are about the same. I do have them isolated with rubber between the metal parts that come in contact with each other. Not to mention, between the lug screws, bridge and shell. I like the Pintech bridges, minus the lack of isolation. The Bass Drums are a bit louder. I don't have anything muffling the mylar opposite the playing side. Not extreme mind you. But, they are louder. I intend to correct that when I buy two matching heads. I think I may coat the inside with foam.

Thanks for the compliments folks Now if I could just keep my daughter from sitting at her desk I would be doing great. I hate to admit it. This is probably short lived. I really didn't expect the kit to be as big as it is. I'm probably going to sell the parts from this and start over in the months to come. I can't walk through my freaking' office.

Thanks again,

-Axe-
                        Last edited by Axe_Grinder; 01-14-09, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Man i am so jealous!...lol....This is the best looking DIY i have seen....

Comment

That is stunning, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                            X