Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Kick drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your Kick drums

I'm trying to decide what size to make my stealth, acoustic looking kick.
    I thought this might be a cool thread to have anyway.
    I've seen plenty on here. 22" all the way to 10" shells mounted on a wooden stand and I've seen all kinds of different depths, which can make a huge difference. I'm very torn and trying to assemble some examples to make a decision. Can I see your kicks? Preferably an overall picture with the entire set to get an idea of it's relative proportion.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

These are my DIY Roland Mesh Head kicks
    compact and seem to go well with the rest of my kit

They're made from a pair of inexpensive black 8" toms I found on the net and some UFO piezo's

DSC05147.JPG

DSC05149.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by MegaDiddle View Post
      Brilliant looking kit. Is that a home-made hihat pedal?
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
        Brilliant looking kit. Is that a home-made hihat pedal?
        Yes it is. That's my cable operated hi hat. It uses a Honda motorcycle throddle cable.

Comment

Yes it is. That's my cable operated hi hat. It uses a Honda motorcycle throddle cable.
          That's a pretty cool idea

Here's the newest addition to my cage.... 22" Pearl kick. I haven't actually converted it yet (my KD8 is behind it) but I am considering a few options. One being the grafting of my KD8 into it.

Comment

They're made from a pair of inexpensive black 8" toms I found on the net and some UFO piezo's

[ATTACH]10314[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10315[/ATTACH]
            That kit looks great! Everything fits together perfectly. I'm surprised I've never seen it on the forum before. I'm quite the lurker. Very nice!
            btw I think you should mount that old time phone to your kit and trigger it

Easy Cheapo gig set:
            Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperPuss;349339]That's a pretty cool idea

Here's the newest addition to my cage.... 22" Pearl kick. I haven't actually converted it yet (my KD8 is behind it) but I am considering a few options. One being the grafting of my KD8 into it.

Your set is really looking great! The 22" is definitely the coolest and most stealth. I have a hard time getting that through my car door, though. I guess my drum hobby should have dictated all other portions of my life including car purchases
              I currently have a Pintech kick (works and feels great) and consider "grafting" myself. Not sure if it's worth it though. It might be just as easy to convert one and sell the existing...or keep it for a mini set/aux kick

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                I haven't actually converted it yet (my KD8 is behind it) but I am considering a few options. One being the grafting of my KD8 into it.
                I'm really interested to see what your "graft" of the KD8 would look like. I really like the way the KD-8 feels.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron View Post
                  .....Your set is really looking great! The 22" is definitely the coolest and most stealth. I have a hard time getting that through my car door, though. I guess my drum hobby should have dictated all other portions of my life including car purchases
                  I currently have a Pintech kick (works and feels great) and consider "grafting" myself. Not sure if it's worth it though. It might be just as easy to convert one and sell the existing...or keep it for a mini set/aux kick
                  lol @ car purchases
                  My KD8 is hidden enough by the rest of my kit that I may not even bother with the grafting. Also, as previously mentioned, my snare and hat is center mounted so my KD8 is offset. If I was to graft it into the 22", I'd then have to offset that too and that would just look wrong!
                  Originally posted by Lexicon View Post
                  I'm really interested to see what your "graft" of the KD8 would look like. I really like the way the KD-8 feels.
                  I really like the feel of my KD8 too. See my post above about the probability of my decision.

Comment

I really like the feel of my KD8 too. See my post above about the probability of my decision.
                    I was thinking it could be done pretty easily but it would require cutting a notch in the area of the KD8 where the pedal clamps on. You'd probably also have to bend what's left to follow the contour of the hoop as much as possible. That would allow the pedal to clamp to the drum hoop and still maintain the same positioning in relation to the KD8. I'm not sure how you'd secure the KD8 to the hoop without drilling a couple of holes. Probably not a big deal.

A piece of wood cut with the same curve as the inside of the drum shell but with a flat top could act as the support for the rear part of the KD8. A couple of metal plates and some screws to secure it. Hopefully, all of that could be done in a way that allows the use of the lug bolt holes for mounting.

If I can find an appropriate bass drum (and I'm feeling brave) I'll give this a try at some point and post my results. The 18" drum I've had my eye on might be too small to accomodate a KD8.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexicon View Post
                      I was thinking it could be done pretty easily but it would require cutting a notch in the area of the KD8 where the pedal clamps on. You'd probably also have to bend what's left to follow the contour of the hoop as much as possible. That would allow the pedal to clamp to the drum hoop and still maintain the same positioning in relation to the KD8. I'm not sure how you'd secure the KD8 to the hoop without drilling a couple of holes. Probably not a big deal.

A piece of wood cut with the same curve as the inside of the drum shell but with a flat top could act as the support for the rear part of the KD8. A couple of metal plates and some screws to secure it. Hopefully, all of that could be done in a way that allows the use of the lug bolt holes for mounting.

If I can find an appropriate bass drum (and I'm feeling brave) I'll give this a try at some point and post my results. The 18" drum I've had my eye on might be too small to accomodate a KD8.
                      That would all work fine if the KD8 was positioned in the center of the kit. In my case, it isn't so it wouldn't work unless I positioned the 22" kick off center too. That will just look wrong with my kit. The photo below illustrates this better than words can.

Comment

If I was to graft it into the 22", I'd then have to offset that too and that would just look wrong!
                        Funny you say that. I rebelled with that same issue on my acoustic set. I used to have the kick "lined up" with the audience and, as a result I was usually turned sideways toward the hi hat. I finally said, screw this, and rotated the set, and myself, around a bit. The kick points slightly right (from my perspective) and now my shoulders are more aligned toward the band and audience. I don't think it looks too odd. More importantly, I don't care
                        I think the added stage presence of being more involved, open and connected with the band makes up for a "misaligned" kick.

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Here are a few photos of my DIY kick drum. It's a 22" kick and inside it has a 12" mesh-head DIY pad with the piezo and cone mounted off-center. The pad is mounted on a double crossbar setup, using 4 of the lugs as mounting points. It's very solid and it triggers great.
                          Attached Files
                          TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
                          Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
                          Handsonic HPD-10
                          Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Wow Mike. Very innovative!
                            Your kit looks great. I'm a big fan of that color, too.
                            What's the depth of your kick?

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Thank you!
                              Yes, those Gretsch Catalinas are available in some very nice wood finishes - reasonably priced too.
                              The kick depth is 12" - it was 18", but I cut it down after seeing Ginger Baker's set in the Cream 2005 reunion video:
                              http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53...rBaker2005.jpg
                              TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
                              Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
                              Handsonic HPD-10
                              Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Working...
                              X